The Student Room Group

Newbie Coders Chat

Scroll to see replies

Just signed up to Codeacademy to learn Python. I do Mechanical Engineering and we use Matlab and I only know the basics (I should know more but Matlab is so hard), I am hoping that all the skills I will learn from Python will transfer to Matlab.
Reply 121
Hi guys.

I'm not teaching myself to program, although I've given it various attempts in the past for some languages. However, this year for some crazy reason I decided to take Advanced Higher Computing Science having never done it previously at a lower level (Advanced Higher is equivalent to slightly harder than A level) and also three other Advanced Highers. Currently doing some HTML and CSS a little, a little bit on object oriented programming like Java but just the concept really, and in around a month I've completely learned VB (yes, bloody vb) but I must admit although it's a dated language it is pretty good for a learner and for what we're making.

But yeah I've picked it up very quickly due to being pushed and hope to keep improving further!! Hopefully more languages will be easier to add from here on in!!
Original post by Aklaol
I've been programming for 5 years. I'm currently at the age of 16.

Oh wow! What language did you start off with?
Have been coding since the last 4 years, Generally more front end stuff. Web development. Started with HTML only now I can convert any PSD into an interactive website, Took some time to master jQuery and Javascript but well it was all worth in the end. Now I'm learning backend stuff, Have been doing SQL and Java for 2 years. But I find front end so much better :biggrin:.
I'm a self taught pythoner of about 3 years I guess, at first I just did it for fun, doing random stuff, then moving onto more advanced stuff like classes, solving classic programming problems, and that stuff! :biggrin:

Now I am moving onto C++. I've tried to get a good grip of C++ before but it never clicked, but now that I am advanced enough with python I think it's really helping my C++ come along! :biggrin:

I recon python being both procedural and OOP really helps people get a grip of programming in the best way for them :smile:
Original post by asinghj
Oh wow! What language did you start off with?

I started off with Java :smile:.
Hey Guys! I'm currently trying to learn both Pascal and Fortran as a challenge (already quite happy with Python, Java, C, C++, C# etc).
Hi Im quasa and weirdly enough Im a health professional whose degree led him to coding. during my last year at uni, my disso involved computer based components (creating computer models of proteins and drugs using :shudders: python 2.1 and using a compiler to perfom simulations on normal (wildtype) and mutant receptors to see if changes to amino acid structures would change the way drugs interact with proteins) and practical methods (modifying clones kidney cells to express wildtype and mutant receptors and testing their electrophysiology to see if practical methods correllated with electronic methods. after I graduated, I had to take a year out to recover from a last year from hell (anything which could have gone wrong went wrong in terms of health, finance, work etc) so I just finished my training last year. sadly, I hate community pharmacy with a passion (yh there are some good aspects but it is crap) but I remembered how much I wanted to develop some ideas I had at uni (and deeloped during pre-reg) so I decided to teach myself how to code. I have passed the HTML5, CSS3, SCSS and javascript courses on code academy, as well as C# on MVA (I have tried learning java but it irritates me, ruby I for some reason cant access anymore on code academy).

I am currently learning XAML and want to learn how to create databases using Mongo and MySQL (as well as learn how to use python 3.x, ruby on rails and swift 3.0 - despite not currently owning a mac device) and am rather unsuaully signed up to an ethical hacker course which can get me certified (it also includes security auditing and management as well). I deally I just want to develop my ideas but need to learn more about backed and database languages.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Aklaol
Not gonna lie, if you want to get in the programming industry whilst having knowledge on Fortran you definitely will be favored over a lot of candidates. Fortran and Cobol are languages not really used today, however if you're an individual who can comfortably program in both languages then you're set for life. It's publically known in the industry that individuals who can program in those languages are amongst the most top/intelligent programmers in the world. And Python is boring, learn Java (in your spare time).

Oh really? I was sort of led to believe that Fortran (at least Fortran 90) wasn't a programming language that many people write in anymore. I'd say that I'm a really bad programmer, seeing as though if something isn't working I rarely know how to fix it and just end up having to do trial and error to solve the problem; do you have any advice for how to improve here? And how would you say is best to get into doing Java?
My first programming language was C++ which a lot of people don't seem to recommend for a first language but I had no issues with learning C++ first. If you find it challenging then it may be best to learn something like Python first where the concepts are easier to grasp.
Original post by Datalwo
My first programming language was C++ which a lot of people don't seem to recommend for a first language but I had no issues with learning C++ first. If you find it challenging then it may be best to learn something like Python first where the concepts are easier to grasp.

would you say you need to be good at maths to learn these? Also i'm about to start a computer science degree, and didn't do A level maths, and no programming experience. Is it very hard? I normally prefer writing humanities so just wanted to make sure i'm good enough.
Many thanks.
Original post by l1lvink
Oh really? I was sort of led to believe that Fortran (at least Fortran 90) wasn't a programming language that many people write in anymore. I'd say that I'm a really bad programmer, seeing as though if something isn't working I rarely know how to fix it and just end up having to do trial and error to solve the problem; do you have any advice for how to improve here? And how would you say is best to get into doing Java?

Oh don't get me wrong, Fortran isn't used at all. However, it's the fact that fortran is a complex formula translating language, so being able to program in that language at a sufficient level does show extreme intelligence and programming ability. Java is the most popular language in the world, I'd definitely say that getting into it would be good.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by alexp98
would you say you need to be good at maths to learn these? Also i'm about to start a computer science degree, and didn't do A level maths, and no programming experience. Is it very hard? I normally prefer writing humanities so just wanted to make sure i'm good enough.
Many thanks.

Well, keep in mind that a CS degree does involve a lot of maths, but you can cope without having done a A level in maths, or without any programming knowledge. It's a little strange how you want to do a CS degree without having done programming before, or maths/computing at A-level.
Original post by Aklaol
Well, keep in mind that a CS degree does involve a lot of maths, but you can cope without having done a A level in maths, or without any programming knowledge. It's a little strange how you want to do a CS degree without having done programming before, or maths/computing at A-level.

I just had work experience at a tech company with people who did cs and enjoyed the work they were doing and had a some practice.
Original post by alexp98
Many thanks.

It's more about logic and 95% of the time no but it really depends. There are some areas where it's required but it isn't too difficult unless you want to make 3D games and 3D graphics then yes you do need to be good at maths. It depends what you want to do really.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Datalwo
It's more about logic and 95% of the time no but it really depends. There are some areas where it's required but it isn't too difficult unless you want to make 3D games and 3D graphics then yes you do need to be good at maths. It depends what you want to do really.

Ah ok I just wanted a good tech job maybe from grad scheme probably to do with software engineering or something similar as I've heard these are very in demand and good salaries, plus interesting too
I'm 16, teaching myself Java with books. I plan to use Android Studio to make some apps for myself:biggrin:

I also plan to study computer science at university
Ugh... javascript has more maths in it than I was hoping. I hate maths :hmpf: :grumble:
Original post by alexp98
Hey guys, I was just wandering if coding was for me as i'm probably more of a humanities guy and better at English stuff than maths but i have always loved computers and been researching a lot and am about to start a computer science degree. Any tips for me on how to do well and what sort of stuff should i be doing in my spare time? Btw i have no programming experience so far.

Any help is appreciated :smile: Does a CS degree put you in a great position for jobs also?
In your shoes I would just sign up on FreeCodeCamp, because that avoids you having to choose a direction. They set a curriculum for you and you just work through it. And when you're ready, they give you projects to work on. There's only one way to know if it's 'for you'. That's by trying. Nobody can pull out a crystal ball and tell you that.
Original post by Freakout
Have been coding since the last 4 years, Generally more front end stuff. Web development. Started with HTML only now I can convert any PSD into an interactive website, Took some time to master jQuery and Javascript but well it was all worth in the end. Now I'm learning backend stuff, Have been doing SQL and Java for 2 years. But I find front end so much better :biggrin:.

I'm just starting javascript now. What was it that took awhile for you? Is it just that there is a lot to learn, or did you find any of it conceptually difficult?
I've never coded in my life and I don't know where to start.. :c
Original post by AshEntropy
I've never coded in my life and I don't know where to start.. :c

If you aren't sure where to start then I'll try to help. What are your interests and what made you want to learn to code in the first place? What would you love to be able to do with your coding knowledge?

Quick Reply

Latest