The Student Room Group

HELP maths Core 3 and Core 4!! - Text book

So I've just started A2 maths last week and the text books the college issued are AWFUL. They're the AQA School project ones.
Anyone know some which are really good from personal experiences?

Thanks in advance:biggrin:
Original post by OGFakiie
So I've just started A2 maths last week and the text books the college issued are AWFUL. They're the AQA School project ones.

Does it matter? You're gonna be taught it anyway. If you want to learn early then look for stuff on YouTube about those topics.
Reply 2
Original post by RDKGames
Does it matter? You're gonna be taught it anyway. If you want to learn early then look for stuff on YouTube about those topics.

Matters a lot for me, it helps me stay more organised and keep on top of everything so I don't miss any topics out - which teachers sometimes do.
Matters a lot for me, it helps me stay more organised and keep on top of everything so I don't miss any topics out - which teachers sometimes do.

What exactly is awful about them? Once you will have been taught the topics you will understand what the books are talking about.
Reply 4
What exactly is awful about them? Once you will have been taught the topics you will understand what the books are talking about.

Noo it's not that it's difficult to understand, it's just that the book hardly has any text explaining the topics. 95% is just questions and even they are way too easy and repetitive.
Noo it's not that it's difficult to understand, it's just that the book hardly has any text explaining the topics. 95% is just questions and even they are way too easy and repetitive.

AQA did just fine for me. You'll live. As I said before, just go on the internet to learn the topics if you want.
Reply 6
My college let us use this for the year on loan, used the AS version too:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/A2-Core-Mathematics-AQA-Maths/dp/0582842409

Has notes, example qs then qs. Find it really useful and the AS one was good too
Reply 7
Bostock and Chandler textbooks
The really old ones have some nice hard questions in them:smile:

BTW they are for the whole of maths a level so wont just be for C3 and C4

Those books are fine. They explain the concept behind each technique then question you on it. You are then supposed to be going to past papers to learn the nuance of exam questions, then you can go to other examboards questions to get a well rounded view of the topics.
Reply 9
AQA did just fine for me. You'll live. As I said before, just go on the internet to learn the topics if you want.

wait you used these project ones too?
wait you used these project ones too?

Yes.
Reply 11
Yes.

Well we just did the exponential function & natural log topics and the explanations were rubbish, there were lots of unnecessary facts like how old the mathematician Euler was... etc.
Well we just did the exponential function & natural log topics and the explanations were rubbish, there were lots of unnecessary facts like how old the mathematician Euler was... etc.

Then just don't read the facts...? It's always better to have a textbook with too much info than one which misses out half the stuff.

Also, if you don't like how the explanations are worded just go online and watch some videos or read some other people's revision notes (eg. examsolutions videos or notes on physics&maths tutor)

Quick Reply

Latest