The Student Room Group

Is ZIKA a potential threat to adults.

So My family are planning a holiday for November time. I work for the family business in a basic role. I have had my holiday time already but can get time of if I come on the holiday. However I can't if I don't.

I am already right up against it with my current plans to sit all of A Level maths and a further 3-5 modules this year. I was hoping to take the step papers but will have to start prepping for them from Jan 2nd to make this realistic.
I have already had the discussion in another forum Yes people say i should not take step papers this year, my plan is to prep for them and register last minute if i am ready but not if not.

Anyway I need to realistically have got past 8 maths modules to the point where when testing myself consistently I am averaging 90+ in all of them. Before the end of December on top of a full time job.

This may seem Impossible but it misses out the fact that I literally have no friends or GF so from 6PM onwards I have all time to allocate to study, and from 6am in the mornings-8am as well. obviously need breaks but 3-5 hours an evening +8-10 a weekend but still very tight.

So this holiday was a major part of my plan since freedom from work would allow me 8 hours a day of study plus a break to recover. I mean up early 4 hours before 12 and 4 in evening and rest of day to relax and recover from large work load.

I really need this holiday but wherever we go there is a risk of ZIKA and you hear about brain damage etc.

I have heard that it can in fact affect adult human brains. Which would mean I might not get good grades and get into a decent university or if long term be affected when I am at university so that I cannot get a good degree.

of course if I go I will pull out every defense, insect repellent long sleeve shirts I figure if i get long sleeve shirts and light trousers I can cover every inch of my body except my hands and face. I will have to spray the repellent in my face but cover my eyes because dont want to be blinded. However I heard of someone that got affected in the eyes with ZIKA. I guess I could wear sunglasses but does anyone know of a pair that don't leave gaps that mosquito could fit through?

Should I go on this holiday it seems like a massive risk but then the time is very important to.

does anyone know a lot about ZIKA and the potential risk?
From what I gather, Zika is relatively harmless unless you're pregnant, planning to get pregnant or get a girl pregnant. Apparently the virus can last for up to 6 months in your sperm so that's worth remembering. However, otherwise the virus is less serious than the average flu virus so although it's certainly best to take precautions, it's not worth losing sleep over.

This is from the CDC Website - Many people infected with Zika virus won’t have symptoms or will only have mild symptoms. The most common symptoms of Zika are:

Fever

Rash

Joint pain

Conjunctivitis (red eyes)

Other symptoms include:

Muscle pain

Headache

How long symptoms last:
Zika is usually mild with symptoms lasting for several days to a week. People usually don’t get sick enough to go to the hospital, and they very rarely die of Zika. For this reason, many people might not realize they have been infected. Symptoms of Zika are similar to other viruses spread through mosquito bites, like dengue and chikungunya.
How soon you should be tested:
Zika virus usually remains in the blood of an infected person for about a week. See your doctor or other healthcare provider if you develop symptoms and you live in or have recently traveled to an area with Zika. Your doctor or other healthcare provider may order blood tests to look for Zika or other similar viruses like dengue or chikungunya. Once a person has been infected, he or she is likely to be protected from future infections.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Tempest II
From what I gather, Zika is relatively harmless unless you're pregnant, planning to get pregnant or get a girl pregnant. Apparently the virus can last for up to 6 months in your sperm so that's worth remembering. However, otherwise the virus is less serious than the average flu virus so although it's certainly best to take precautions, it's not worth losing sleep over.

This is from the CDC Website - Many people infected with Zika virus won’t have symptoms or will only have mild symptoms. The most common symptoms of Zika are:

Fever

Rash

Joint pain

Conjunctivitis (red eyes)

Other symptoms include:

Muscle pain

Headache

How long symptoms last:
Zika is usually mild with symptoms lasting for several days to a week. People usually don’t get sick enough to go to the hospital, and they very rarely die of Zika. For this reason, many people might not realize they have been infected. Symptoms of Zika are similar to other viruses spread through mosquito bites, like dengue and chikungunya.
How soon you should be tested:
Zika virus usually remains in the blood of an infected person for about a week. See your doctor or other healthcare provider if you develop symptoms and you live in or have recently traveled to an area with Zika. Your doctor or other healthcare provider may order blood tests to look for Zika or other similar viruses like dengue or chikungunya. Once a person has been infected, he or she is likely to be protected from future infections.

Thanks for this, there was some scary stuff that came out about a month ago. http://europe.newsweek.com/zika-virus-affects-adult-brain-stem-cells-491674?rm=eu

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/next/body/zika-might-cause-brain-damage-in-adults-too/

http://www.itechpost.com/articles/28970/20160912/zika-virus-pose-adult-risk.htm

im not so worried about short term effects which are under 1 month or the preggy thing since no gf and too busy for one at the mo.

I am more concerned about potential long term effects. It is only last month i think when the story broke but they are saying it might affect adult brains now, if i understand right.
It doesn't look like there's any proof yet either way as neither the NHS or CDC have any info about effects in adult brains. It's worth noting that the virus has been known about since the 1940s & 50s so it isn't a new discovery. It does sound like they'd be more of a risk if you have a weakened immune system & taking precautions would be wise - DEET insect repellent is something i'd recommend around mosquitoes regardless of whether they're carrying Zika or not.
Where are you planning on going away to by the way? Other mosquito vectored diseases like Malaria or Yellow Fever could be more of a threat depending where you're going. Malaria tablets can to be taken to guard against the former while there's a jab available to protect against the latter.
Reply 4
Original post by Tempest II
It doesn't look like there's any proof yet either way as neither the NHS or CDC have any info about effects in adult brains. It's worth noting that the virus has been known about since the 1940s & 50s so it isn't a new discovery. It does sound like they'd be more of a risk if you have a weakened immune system & taking precautions would be wise - DEET insect repellent is something i'd recommend around mosquitoes regardless of whether they're carrying Zika or not.
Where are you planning on going away to by the way? Other mosquito vectored diseases like Malaria or Yellow Fever could be more of a threat depending where you're going. Malaria tablets can to be taken to guard against the former while there's a jab available to protect against the latter.

at the moment it is hawaii however their is a possibility this may change and I have been unable to confirm where to. My best guess if their is a change would be Mexico because the family do seem to like that place it seems to be a common destination for fam holidays.However they could throw a curve ball and go somewhere else if so I do not currently know where.
Original post by Luke7456
at the moment it is hawaii however their is a possibility this may change and I have been unable to confirm where to. My best guess if their is a change would be Mexico because the family do seem to like that place it seems to be a common destination for fam holidays.However they could throw a curve ball and go somewhere else if so I do not currently know where.

Hawaiiiii :heart:
The actual virus has been around for donkeys years since the Rockefellers an all that lot discovered it. The only threat are the insecticides that that Gates **** and other elite jews wanna unleash on the Mississippi delta/Florida areas.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending