The Student Room Group

Help me find a 4 hour job pls :(

I already have a job (which I love) but the thing is they pay minimum wage so I'm earning around 66 quid for around 12 hours. I made a little budget sheet and realised to afford what I want/live comfortably I should get another job to put me closer to the 100 quid mark per week.
I'm about to enter my first year of uni so really dont want to exceed more than 16 hours per week. But I'm really struggling to find retail jobs which are just 4 hours per week. Does anyone know where to look? P.s. I live in birmingham
EDIT: I'll do 6hrs too. Maybe 8 hrs if I'm pushing it
(edited 7 years ago)
I doubt you'll get a 4 hour job in retail.
Reply 2
Original post by PrinceOfOrange
I doubt you'll get a 4 hour job in retail.

True :frown: Do you know of any places which are known to do do 6-8 hour vacancies?
Original post by M_xxx113
True :frown: Do you know of any places which are known to do do 6-8 hour vacancies?

go to indeed website and search there :yy:
I think the lowest on most of the top retail chains is 8 hours, unless you get a seasonal contract but that's not what you're after. You'll probably struggle now as well, I'd imagine you'll get some luck around the christmas period if you keep your eye out. I'd recommend using a jobsite like Indeed or something to track down vacancies in your area though
Check next. They offer less hours

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I already have a job (which I love) but the thing is they pay minimum wage so I'm earning around 66 quid for around 12 hours. I made a little budget sheet and realised to afford what I want/live comfortably I should get another job to put me closer to the 100 quid mark per week.
I'm about to enter my first year of uni so really dont want to exceed more than 16 hours per week. But I'm really struggling to find retail jobs which are just 4 hours per week. Does anyone know where to look? P.s. I live in birmingham

You live in the second biggest city in the country and you can't find a job? Are you looking properly?
Reply 7

I'd suggest to either speak to your manager and see if you could do more hours or perhaps find a similar job with more hours (i.e. 16 hours per week) to replace the current one?
Original post by al3ks
I'd suggest to either speak to your manager and see if you could do more hours or perhaps find a similar job with more hours (i.e. 16 hours per week) to replace the current one?

I agree.
I would possibly try mcdonalds.
They are flexible about hours and things.
Clarks do 4 hour contracts/shifts. I work there
Primark do 4 hour contracts

Posted from TSR Mobile
What expierence do you have.

Definitely look into Primark. They do 4 hour shifts. Next do a few shorter shifts, but mainly longer ones so it may be a bit harder to get on there. M&S gave me a few 4 hour shifts as a seasonal retail assistant so that's worth looking into as well. Sports Direct would be worth considering if you wouldn't mind a 0 hour contract, as you'd be able to pick up more/less shifts depending on how busy you are over that week/fortnight

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Sports Direct do 0 hr contracts, but each shift is a minimum of 4 hours. I do 2 4 hour shifts a week (give or take) and I get paid above minimum wage.

I know the Entertainer toy shop does 7.5 hour contracts where you work 1 Saturday shift and Primark do 4 he contracts
Original post by AfcFob
Sports Direct do 0 hr contracts, but each shift is a minimum of 4 hours. I do 2 4 hour shifts a week (give or take) and I get paid above minimum wage.

I know the Entertainer toy shop does 7.5 hour contracts where you work 1 Saturday shift and Primark do 4 he contracts

Primark don't do 4 hour contracts.. I work there... they do 4 hour shifts not contracts..
Reply 15
Original post by Jackieox
Primark don't do 4 hour contracts.. I work there... they do 4 hour shifts not contracts..

Ah I only mentioned them because my local store has advertised 4 hr contracts for Saturday's only but dunno if they still do them
Maybe its better to do babysitting or dogwalking with those 4 hours?
My friend is on a four hour contract for Primark.
The Argos I work in does 3 hour shifts which is convenient for me as a student. But that's in London though.
Original post by meenu89
You live in the second biggest city in the country and you can't find a job? Are you looking properly?

Don't even say that! It's difficult to get a job anywhere. London is difficult to get a job too. Starbucks turned me down 3 times for ******** reasons.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending