The Student Room Group

AS & A Level Options

Heyyyyyy

I'm new to TSR but I've been looking at it for agesssss!

I'm currently in Year 11 so I need to pick my AS options soon and I had a few questions, I'd like to study medicine and I was thinking about doing:

Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Maths

I know these are probably the most academic subjects there is to pick so I was wondering if,
People had any experience in these subjects?
Whether they are okay to do all together or too much work?
How hard they are and the exams?

I'm working at A/A* in all of them although I know A Levels are a big step up from GCSE.

Thank you to anyone who answers!
Reply 1
You're probably going to be looking at taking the reformed A-Levels rather than AS but your choices are spot on. They are all tough subjects but necessary of you want to study Medicine.
Those are very academic subjects, but if you're willing to work and are 100% sure you want to take medicine, then go right ahead. Personally, I might think about swapping Physics for something like History or another humanity just to have a broader range and thus more choice. But that's just me, and if you like Physics, then that's fine.
Original post by BobBobson
Those are very academic subjects, but if you're willing to work and are 100% sure you want to take medicine, then go right ahead. Personally, I might think about swapping Physics for something like History or another humanity just to have a broader range and thus more choice. But that's just me, and if you like Physics, then that's fine.

Yeah I was thinking about doing Geography instead of Maths or Physics, however I enjoy them both same and I'm the same grade in both of them! I shall still certainly think about it though! Thankyou!
Original post by Clemm101
You're probably going to be looking at taking the reformed A-Levels rather than AS but your choices are spot on. They are all tough subjects but necessary of you want to study Medicine.

Okay thankyou!
I'm currently in Year 12, am taking Biology, Chemistry, Maths, and Physics, and am interested in studying something in the medicine area at university too, so I guess my viewpoint might be helpful!

I won't sugar-coat it: it's a hard combination of subjects, but if you are interested in them you will do well. I would recommend that you start watching the Biology, Chemistry, and Physics courses on CrashCourse, and read up on some of the more complicated topics around the subjects (Quantum Mechanics, Particle Physics, Relativity, Differential and Integral Calculus, Biochemistry, Mass Spectrometry, etc.). In the sciences you'll often hear the line "we lied to you a bit at GCSE" (particularly in Chemistry - those electrons in the nice neat shells? Look up the quantum mechanical model of the atom and you'll realise it's all lies!), so make sure that isn't a huge surprise for you.

You need to be proactive in your learning, and that means reading up in advance, following along the specification and ticking things off as you cover them in class, and making sure that you understand everything before moving on. Structure of the Heart still not clicking? Badger your teacher every lunchtime until it does. Quantum theory still just "spooky action at a distance" to you? Don't just let it slide and move on - do something about it!

Finally, don't underestimate Wikipedia. It's fantastic for getting an idea about a topic, but also for getting credible sources. Clearly you shouldn't just copy off anything - particularly not Wikipedia - but there's always a nice references section at the bottom of every page which you can look through once you've read the article. If you're a critical thinker, Wikipedia is an unparalleled source which is unmatched in both its breadth and scope!

Hopefully that helps you - feel free to PM me if you need to! :smile:
Original post by SummerStrawberry
I'm currently in Year 12, am taking Biology, Chemistry, Maths, and Physics, and am interested in studying something in the medicine area at university too, so I guess my viewpoint might be helpful!

I won't sugar-coat it: it's a hard combination of subjects, but if you are interested in them you will do well. I would recommend that you start watching the Biology, Chemistry, and Physics courses on CrashCourse, and read up on some of the more complicated topics around the subjects (Quantum Mechanics, Particle Physics, Relativity, Differential and Integral Calculus, Biochemistry, Mass Spectrometry, etc.). In the sciences you'll often hear the line "we lied to you a bit at GCSE" (particularly in Chemistry - those electrons in the nice neat shells? Look up the quantum mechanical model of the atom and you'll realise it's all lies!), so make sure that isn't a huge surprise for you.

You need to be proactive in your learning, and that means reading up in advance, following along the specification and ticking things off as you cover them in class, and making sure that you understand everything before moving on. Structure of the Heart still not clicking? Badger your teacher every lunchtime until it does. Quantum theory still just "spooky action at a distance" to you? Don't just let it slide and move on - do something about it!

Finally, don't underestimate Wikipedia. It's fantastic for getting an idea about a topic, but also for getting credible sources. Clearly you shouldn't just copy off anything - particularly not Wikipedia - but there's always a nice references section at the bottom of every page which you can look through once you've read the article. If you're a critical thinker, Wikipedia is an unparalleled source which is unmatched in both its breadth and scope!

Hopefully that helps you - feel free to PM me if you need to! :smile:

Thankyou soooo much! This has been such a huge help! Obviously I knew that they were hard topics and everyone raises their eyebrows when I tell them what I'm thinking of doing!

Yes I'll definitely look at CrashCourses, it sounds really helpful!
Ahahaha, yes we quite often hear 'its not always like that but thats A Level stuff!'

Yes I do try and make sure I understand everything at the moment so I'll carry on doing that next year!

Thank you sooo much it's been a HUGE help! I might PM if I have any more questions! Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest