The Student Room Group

Biochemistry? Help

Hi,

From looking at uni requirements most courses only require chem whereas some ask for chem and bio. Therefore my question is how hard would it be to do a degree in biochemistry without a-level biology? It's not the only degree I have in mind so I wanted to pin point out the best option for me. I do chemistry, maths and further maths.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
maybe you could try and look at the first year modules of your chosen degree to see what they propose to teach students in university and see how much of it is Biology Based? dono if this really helps you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by 18maz
maybe you could try and look at the first year modules of your chosen degree to see what they propose to teach students in university and see how much of it is Biology Based? dono if this really helps you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol yh it does help. I've done that though that is why im asking literally every module is biology based even though the requirement is only chemistry doesn't make sense to me lol. Do you do biochem?
Reply 3
Ngl I do Biochem without having done Bio A level and I struggle a bit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by HAnwar
Ngl I do Biochem without having done Bio A level and I struggle a bit.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's what I was thinking, like all of it seems bio. Are you in your first year? Well hopefully at least you like it so you can be determined to work hard.
Reply 5
Original post by umz_rana
That's what I was thinking, like all of it seems bio. Are you in your first year? Well hopefully at least you like it so you can be determined to work hard.

Going into second year now.
Around 90% of it will be Bio :/
Yeah I guess.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Hi,

From looking at uni requirements most courses only require chem whereas some ask for chem and bio. Therefore my question is how hard would it be to do a degree in biochemistry without a-level biology? It's not the only degree I have in mind so I wanted to pin point out the best option for me. I do chemistry, maths and further maths.

It's not ideal, but with maths and further maths you can show you can learn things pretty well, so of the non-biology applicants you're well placed, for what that's worth
Reply 7
Original post by h3rmit
It's not ideal, but with maths and further maths you can show you can learn things pretty well, so of the non-biology applicants you're well placed, for what that's worth

Yh that is a point but I feel that would be necessary if I really want to do it I'm considering pure chem or chem eng now. What do you study?
Reply 8
Original post by HAnwar
Going into second year now.
Around 90% of it will be Bio :/
Yeah I guess.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm oh ok did you enjoy it though or do you feel like you should've picked something else? What a-level's did you do anyways?
You definitely need biology! Will save you time and effort trying to learn what your classmates already know. And as someone mentioned before, second year has way more biology modules than chemistry! My uni literally has a 90/10 split from the modules we have... Chemistry becomes more of a choice! Guess that's my uni but biology is a must.
Reply 10
Original post by overthelove
You definitely need biology! Will save you time and effort trying to learn what your classmates already know. And as someone mentioned before, second year has way more biology modules than chemistry! My uni literally has a 90/10 split from the modules we have... Chemistry becomes more of a choice! Guess that's my uni but biology is a must.

If you don't mind me asking what uni do you go to? I'm thinking of a Biochem degree but I want a lot of biology with some chemistry but not too much so your uni split would look great for me!
Original post by Jehaan
If you don't mind me asking what uni do you go to? I'm thinking of a Biochem degree but I want a lot of biology with some chemistry but not too much so your uni split would look great for me!

I go to the University of York. To be honest, first year has a 50/50 split but I think that's the same at most universities seeing as it's first year. But past first year most people on my course (like me haha) are dodging all the chemistry modules (there are only like 3 optional chemistry modules as opposed to 8+ biology ones) and doing all the biology ones. Like I said it depends on the uni :smile:
Hi,

According to my chemistry teacher, biochemistry degrees are glorified biology degrees. They haven't the maths, the concepts or the application of a pure chemistry degree. He says this after doing a biochemistry degree at UCL, then reverting to pure chemistry for postgrad.

Biochemistry at Oxford seems much more chemistry and maths based than any other biochemistry degree. It has compulsory maths modules, organic chemistry, physical chemistry etc.

I'd honestly do a chemistry degree. Makes it easier to work in finance and if you want to become a biochemist, you can do a taught MSc in biochemistry. However, if you do a biochemistry BSc, converting back to chemistry will be harder.

Edit: I saw you were considering Chemical engineering? For employment prospects, Chem Eng is better, but it doesn't have much chemistry - it's actually mostly physics and maths.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 13
Hmm oh ok did you enjoy it though or do you feel like you should've picked something else? What a-level's did you do anyways?

I don't regret picking it because I was quite adamant on picking this course from the beginning.
However I did find first year a little tough.
I knew it was gonna be hard not doing Bio A level, but I was not expecting some stuff to be that hard. Like in some lectures they would cover A2 Bio stuff and I would be thinking what the heck is he/she going on about.

But in the end I just did my own independent study and had a look at Biology A level textbooks/YouTube videos to grasp the basics first, and I would see a great jump in my grade when I put this effort in.
It's not impossible for you to do well, it just means you will have to put in a lot more hours than others since you haven't been through the content before.

First year focuses on A level stuff mostly, so you can ask friends for help who have done Bio. I used to form study groups with friends, they would help me with Bio and I would help them with Chem.

You need to really dedicate yourself if you're serious about choosing this degree.

English Lit, Sociology and Chem.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by HAnwar
I don't regret picking it because I was quite adamant on picking this course from the beginning.
However I did find first year a little tough.
I knew it was gonna be hard not doing Bio A level, but I was not expecting some stuff to be that hard. Like in some lectures they would cover A2 Bio stuff and I would be thinking what the heck is he/she going on about.

But in the end I just did my own independent study and had a look at Biology A level textbooks/YouTube videos to grasp the basics first, and I would see a great jump in my grade when I put this effort in.
It's not impossible for you to do well, it just means you will have to put in a lot more hours than others since you haven't been through the content before.

First year focuses on A level stuff mostly, so you can ask friends for help who have done Bio. I used to form study groups with friends, they would help me with Bio and I would help them with Chem.

You need to really dedicate yourself if you're serious about choosing this degree.

English Lit, Sociology and Chem.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm oh ok wasn't maths a problem? What is biochem about as in what type of biology does it include? Because i really like some parts but I also dislike some is well.
Reply 15
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
According to my chemistry teacher, biochemistry degrees are glorified biology degrees. They haven't the maths, the concepts or the application of a pure chemistry degree. He says this after doing a biochemistry degree at UCL, then reverting to pure chemistry for postgrad.

Biochemistry at Oxford seems much more chemistry and maths based than any other biochemistry degree. It has compulsory maths modules, organic chemistry, physical chemistry etc.

I'd honestly do a chemistry degree. Makes it easier to work in finance and if you want to become a biochemist, you can do a taught MSc in biochemistry. However, if you do a biochemistry BSc, converting back to chemistry will be harder.

Edit: I saw you were considering Chemical engineering? For employment prospects, Chem Eng is better, but it doesn't have much chemistry - it's actually mostly physics and maths.

Yh exactly that's why I'm not considering biochem anymore. Its between chem and chem eng for me. The thing is my interests are confusing like they change a lot. I have always had bad thought's but when I start studying never apart from once had a problem revising because I found something boring and I've done lots of different stuff.
Yh exactly that's why I'm not considering biochem anymore. Its between chem and chem eng for me. The thing is my interests are confusing like they change a lot. I have always had bad thought's but when I start studying never apart from once had a problem revising because I found something boring and I've done lots of different stuff.

It's essentially whether maths, physics or chemistry interests you more and whether money is an important factor.
Reply 17
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
It's essentially whether maths, physics or chemistry interests you more and whether money is an important factor.

I'm just so confused whenever I decide something I start to feel odd. So frustrated on what to do.
It really depends what you are more interested in. I personally think it is definitely more important to know basics of Chemistry or be good at it. Biology, you can easily learn at Uni. All the concepts that you need to know will be mentioned during lectures. In your own time, when you do further reading in textbooks, you will understand everything. But it is more important to have Chemistry skills. Therefore, I think you do not need to worry.
Biochemistry is very interesting.
Reply 19
Original post by starlight4711
It really depends what you are more interested in. I personally think it is definitely more important to know basics of Chemistry or be good at it. Biology, you can easily learn at Uni. All the concepts that you need to know will be mentioned during lectures. In your own time, when you do further reading in textbooks, you will understand everything. But it is more important to have Chemistry skills. Therefore, I think you do not need to worry.
Biochemistry is very interesting.

Yh thats what my teacher said. Do you study bichem?

Quick Reply

Latest