The Student Room Group

Civil Service Fast Stream 2016/2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Eboracum7
So not just small changes, they've made some pretty radical changes. If the Verbal and Numerical Reasoning tests aren't included with the "online selection questionnaires" and the FSAC is being reduced to half a day, then the whole structure of the FSAC is being changed as well. So the reasoning tests will either be removed or included in the assessment centre in some way?

These are all clearly changes they've made following civil service reform and the "Bridge Report" regarding a lack of diversity in the civil service. Very interesting.

Unless you have a source I wouldn't assume it's to do with diversity, they did say last year the fast stream process would be changed to make it a less time consuming process. I think the aim was to reduce it to three months however that may or may not be the case.
Original post by Jamiebb1993
What's your source?

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/civil-service-fast-stream-how-to-apply

(Although it doesn't say the interview has been taken out of the FSAC)*
Original post by DunderMiffles
Unless you have a source I wouldn't assume it's to do with diversity, they did say last year the fast stream process would be changed to make it a less time consuming process. I think the aim was to reduce it to three months however that may or may not be the case.

The problem is I always feel like I'm helping the competition when I post helpful stuff like this! :tongue:

http://www.thebridgegroup.org.uk/bridge-group-publishes-report-on-socio-economic-diversity-in-the-civil-service/

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/497341/BG_REPORT_FINAL_PUBLISH_TO_RM__1_.pdf

I mainly refer to socio-economic diversity. It's true that there is no evidence confirming they have made changes in response to a lack of diversity and the exact nature of the changes cannot be fully confirmed yet (we're all clearly still speculating.)

However, one cannot deny the significance of the Bridge report regarding "Socio-Economic Diversity in the Civil Service" (specifically the Fast Stream) which was commissioned by the Cabinet Office. The very idea of shortening the Fast Stream process itself is linked to promoting greater socio-economic diversity.

These are some of the changes we are likely to see which are included in the Bridge Report I have linked above:

Introducing at least one regional assessment centre for the 2016/17 cycle, and moving to a greater number of regional assessment centres in future years.

Adjusting or removing those aspects of the selection process that deliver significant adverse impact for those lower SEB applicants, as evidenced by the data analysis herein. This should include exploring the removal of the online verbal and numerical reasoning tests in their current form or, at least, place increased weighting on the online competency questionnaire, and the situational judgement tests.

Analysis of the impact of newly introduced assessment tools, including the situational judgement test and the move towards more strengths based interviewing.

Exploring greater use of strengths based assessment throughout the selection process, which has been shown to deliver a focus on potential over previous experiences. There is much evidence to show that candidates from lower SEB groups have less access to the opportunities and experiences from which to draw examples throughout the selection process.

Seeking to enhance candidate experience, and thereby engagement e.g. through gamification techniques, video assessment and the introduction of live acted scenarios.The introduction of interactive role-play exercises has been shown to deliver a focus on potential over previous experiences.

Consideration of the diversity of the Fast Stream assessors, including SEB, age and occupational background

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Liv1204
Hey all.

I applied for the Fast Stream back in September, and started my role in my department in April. So if anyone has any questions - whether about the application process or about working in the CS - do feel message to quote or PM me and I will do my best to answer. :smile:

HI, Thanks for offering to help
Do you know what happens when we choose 2 areas of interest like Central Depts and Finance, we do the same online tests for both in 1 application ?
Also if you don't get the scores for 1 are you automatically out from the other as well ?
Reply 104
Original post by Magnum Opus
Yes it has changed so I believe there is no numerical and verbal reasoning test at the start. The written part of the e-tray has been removed, and replaced with a video interview - which removes the interview at FSAC.

Hi! Where does it say there are no numerical and verbal tests?
Original post by Jamso
Hi! Where does it say there are no numerical and verbal tests?

No one can say for sure that there will be no verbal or numerical reasoning tests, but based on the information presented on the fast stream website and the report I linked above, it's a strong possibility.

It looks like it may just be the questionnaire and the situational judgement tests, with a stronger weighting, or similar tests.

They still have the e-tray in there.

There will be a video interview. Not sure exactly how that will work, through skype or something? There will be alternatives for people who cannot do this I'm sure.

It looks like the interviews and the assessment centre will be more strengths based? So less about what you've done and can do, and more about your potential: what do you show promise in, what are you passionate about, what are you like in actual situations as a person and in everyday life.

It also looks like the assessment centre may well include role-playing exercises as well. Not sure how this will play out, in the RAF selection centre they had hangar exercises where you had to work together using problem solving skills to get across a course, as well as a group planning exercise. I'd guess they will set a task/project that you have to work together to complete, taking turns as leader? Something like that.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hey everyone. The Fast Stream has just opened up their new website:

http://www.faststream.gov.uk/
Original post by Eboracum7
Hey everyone. The Fast Stream has just opened up their new website:

http://www.faststream.gov.uk/

Really like their new website - everything seems a lot more "obtainable".

Looks like the numerical reasoning has disappeared which is brilliant news for me.

Done a couple of video interviews last year. Normally they involve downloading an app and signing in. From there the questions pop up - you have two minutes to read and prepare your answers and then they record you. Passed one but failed another so who knows.

Assessment centre in Newcastle is an interesting choice. Living in Manchester it's made very little difference to me distance/cost wise whether I attend there or London.
I seem to remember finding something in previous years saying about half of applicants got through the numerical/verbal/situational judgment test, approx 10% of those passed etray (the real crunch point), and then you were down to some quite realistic figures in terms of getting through the FSAC.

So I wonder how it will work now. I suppose either they now cull large numbers of people with the situational judgment test (which is the one I really did not like) instead of using the maths/verbal (is verbal still there?), or we have a sharper cull at etray, or they use cuts at the video interview round to make up for the lack of maths/verbal, or some combination of the three.

Whichever it is, it seems likely to make success less based on easily quantifiable skills, and more on somewhat more fuzzy qualitative measures.

I think this is probably a bad thing for anyone who found themselves able to prepare themselves well for the maths and verbal reasoning tests. :angry:

Ah well, the process has always had a large element of luck anyway.
(edited 7 years ago)
Also, it looks like they're still recruiting for the European Stream - I suppose they can't do anything until Article 50 is invoked, but I wonder what would happen for European fast streamers if/when Article 50 is invoked...
(edited 7 years ago)
Decided I will give it one last shot, my 3rd attempt. Just looked at the new website though and maybe its because I'm tired but it did my head in. Too much going on, on one page on the frontpage.
I found out - looks like both the verbal reasoning and maths tests have gone. Behavioural and Situational Judgment tests remain.
Original post by bj_945
I found out - looks like both the verbal reasoning and maths tests have gone. Behavioural and Situational Judgment tests remain.

Damn, just when I forked out money for the bundle pack on AssessmentDay lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jamiebb1993
What's your source?

I'm a current FSer
Original post by bj_945
Also, it looks like they're still recruiting for the European Stream - I suppose they can't do anything until Article 50 is invoked, but I wonder what would happen for European fast streamers if/when Article 50 is invoked...

They will simply move to roles which are European focused, it's not as if there will be a shortage of them once A50 is triggered..
Anyone have any experiences with the e-tray exercise for this or any other role? I've encountered the verbal, numerical, situational judgment etc with other applications, but never an e-tray.
Hey, does anyone know any websites that are good for practicing for the situational judgment test?
hi

is anyone applying to the generalist fast stream and if so what do the 2 questionnaires consist of
Is everyone just applying to one fast stream or multiple?
Original post by nawaal123
hi

is anyone applying to the generalist fast stream and if so what do the 2 questionnaires consist of

would also like to know this

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending