The Student Room Group

Where should I apply to?

So far I need to sit my UKCAT which is on Friday next week. But other than that:

GCSE grades: 6A* 6A 1B (french)
AS grades (reforms): ABCC (english lit, bio, chem and maths)
PREDICTED: AAA (bio, chem and maths
personal statement is to the best of my abilities.

I want to apply strategically so thinking of two foundation courses and two normal 5 year courses.
Where should I apply to for normal courses, due to the new AS reforms, most uni's do not consider them

Please help me as I am adamant to apply to medicine.

Thank you :smile:
Avoid very heavy A* GCSE places such as Cardiff, Birmingham (really 8 A*s is what's needed) etc. You can't really narrow it down more than that until you've done your UKCAT. Good luck!
Original post by newgirl66
Avoid very heavy A* GCSE places such as Cardiff, Birmingham (really 8 A*s is what's needed) etc. You can't really narrow it down more than that until you've done your UKCAT. Good luck!

You can also remove the A* A level pediction unis e.g. UCL, Exeter. Edinburgh, Oxbridge (there may be a couple more). After that, it's down to Ukcat.
Reply 3
ABCC....English lit, biology, chem, maths. Is that in order? ie, CC in chem and maths? Just asking because that could impact your application. AAA predicted will get you interviews, but you have to be careful if your chemistry is a C.
Reply 4
Original post by Zakadoh
ABCC....English lit, biology, chem, maths. Is that in order? ie, CC in chem and maths? Just asking because that could impact your application. AAA predicted will get you interviews, but you have to be careful if your chemistry is a C.

No I got a C in chem and bio :frown: so gutted :frown:, Maths got a B - I will be resitting them all in january - but by then my application would have been sent off
I was fully getting A's in my mocks- I think I put toooo much pressure on myself.
But I was just thinking about my chances to apply to medicine.

I still stand a chance right ?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by newgirl66

Thank you,
I am thinking of applying to:
1) kings (foundation)
2) Nottingham (normal)
3) Southampton (normal)
4) Queen's Mary (foundation)
Would I be in a safe place to apply to these Uni's?
Reply 6
Original post by papajani123
No I got a C in chem and bio :frown: so gutted :frown:, Maths got a B - I will be resitting them all in january - but by then my application would have been sent off
I was fully getting A's in my mocks- I think I put toooo much pressure on myself.

The content of your A levels is a load of bollox that you will definitely forget, but the way they teach you to think is absolutely essential. Thats why chemistry is a requirement at all the medical schools. Being able to think your way through a chemistry A level shows your ability to be a doctor. prioritise it.

What do you mean you'll be resitting them all in January? There hasn't been Science A Level January exams in years.

Edit: Might want to consider also if medical schools consider AA in bio and Chem realistic if you got CC at AS.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
What do you mean you'll be resitting them all in January? There hasn't been Science A Level January exams in years.

Edit: Might want to consider also if medical schools consider AA in bio and Chem realistic if you got CC at AS.

So what I mean to say is that I will be sitting C1,C2 and S1 in January for maths. I can't sit AS again because it counts for 0% :frown:

Also I have looked up Uni's that do not take into consideration your AS grades due to the reforms and they want to make it as fair as possible, so are only taking into account the predicted.
Still do you know of any med schools I won't stress on my AS ?
Reply 9
Original post by Zakadoh
The content of your A levels is a load of bollox that you will definitely forget, but the way they teach you to think is absolutely essential. Thats why chemistry is a requirement at all the medical schools. Being able to think your way through a chemistry A level shows your ability to be a doctor. prioritise it.

SOOOO agree with you, I knew ALL of the content- like the back of my hand, but come to exam techniques, I cannot grasp it!! So I will be working on that too.
thank you for the tip :smile:
So what I mean to say is that I will be sitting C1,C2 and S1 in January for maths. I can't sit AS again because it counts for 0% :frown:

Also I have looked up Uni's that do not take into consideration your AS grades due to the reforms and they want to make it as fair as possible, so are only taking into account the predicted.
Still do you know of any med schools I won't stress on my AS ?

I mean, they all say they won't consider AS grades, but when you have two applicants both predicted AAA with one of them having AAA at AS and the other having BBB, which one are you going to pick... Especially when it's sitting right in front of you.

If they say they don't, take their word I suppose. It just seems a bit odd to me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending