The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Language class besides the main course

I'd like to learn new language - French or Chinese - but I do not know how the freshers will be busy. Timetables and schedules are different between individuals and departments, but what are general opinions about learning language in LFA?
Reply 1
I'm worried about this also. My languages class would only be 2 hours once a week plus any study outside of that in my spare time, but studying my main course too as well as societies etc it might become difficult. Are we allowed to start studying it in second or third year do you know?
University of York
York
Reply 2
Original post by Katarvi
I'm worried about this also. My languages class would only be 2 hours once a week plus any study outside of that in my spare time, but studying my main course too as well as societies etc it might become difficult. Are we allowed to start studying it in second or third year do you know?

as far as i know, we can attend language class not only in first year, but also in second or third year. but i think in second or third year i will be busier than the first year so im planning to take it in this academic year.
Original post by Katarvi

Original post by JessyHJC
as far as i know, we can attend language class not only in first year, but also in second or third year. but i think in second or third year i will be busier than the first year so im planning to take it in this academic year.

We have one free year of language classes, that we can redeem in any of the academic years, but if you want to do it for more than a year, you'll have to pay. The full timetables are listed at the link below, but as you'll see it doesn't start till after fresher's week, and there are different sessions you can choose from to avoid timetable clashes.

https://www.york.ac.uk/media/lfa/LFA%20201617%20Term1Timetable.pdf
I'm not at York but I did an extra language course in my first year and I definitely would recommend it. Out of all the years, you will probably have the most free time in your first so I would go for it!
Reply 5
If I remember correctly, if you are joining the Uni now, you can only do the free course in your first year (it's still cheap if you want to pay for them in later years though).
As for if you will have time or not, I would say it's nothing to worry about (I think its like 2 hours a week or something), so it would definitely be worth it
Original post by JessyHJC
I'd like to learn new language - French or Chinese - but I do not know how the freshers will be busy. Timetables and schedules are different between individuals and departments, but what are general opinions about learning language in LFA?

Hiya,

If you'd like to do your LFA course free of charge, you'll have to do it in within your first year of study - in your second or third year the course will cost £156 per year. Lots of students take an LFA course, so it's definitely possible if you manage your time effectively! It is recommended that you do around 2-3 hours extra study to complement each 2-hour weekly class. Here is the LFA brochure for this year, if you'd like to find out more. If you think that LFA is something you'd like to do, I'd advise to go for it! Your first year is a great time to try out new things, as you will probably find yourself having to concentrate more on your degree in your second and third year.

Hope that helps!

Katie
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by University of York
Hiya,

If you'd like to do your LFA course free of charge, you'll have to do it in within your first year of study - in your second or third year the course will cost £156 per year. Lots of students take an LFA course, so it's definitely possible if you manage your time effectively! It is recommended that you do around 2-3 hours extra study to complement each 2-hour weekly class. Here is the LFA brochure for this year, if you'd like to find out more. If you think that LFA is something you'd like to do, I'd advise to go for it! Your first year is a great time to try out new things, as you will probably find yourself having to concentrate more on your degree in your second and third year.

Hope that helps!

Katie

Does this also apply if you're doing a foundation year? Technically this year will be year 0 for me, is it possible to take a language in my official first year (next year) or must it be this year? Thanks!
Original post by Katarvi
Does this also apply if you're doing a foundation year? Technically this year will be year 0 for me, is it possible to take a language in my official first year (next year) or must it be this year? Thanks!

Hiya,

Yep, if you're coming to York this September, you'll be entitled to the free LFA course this year (it doesn't matter that it's your foundation year).

Katie :smile:
Reply 9
Hey guys! I've signed up for Arabic for first year because I figure it's the year where you do least of your work and it'll be good to try it!
Original post by University of York
Hiya,

Yep, if you're coming to York this September, you'll be entitled to the free LFA course this year (it doesn't matter that it's your foundation year).

Katie :smile:

Hi Katie.
:[br]:

Never mind: second years and third years are still entitled to a free course, had they not already enrolled in their previous years at York, provided that they started in academic years 2015/16 or 2014/15.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jonnynoctu
Hi Katie.
:[br]:

Never mind: second years and third years are still entitled to a free course, had they not already enrolled in their previous years at York, provided that they started in academic years 2015/16 or 2014/15.

Hi,

You're right - I'll just clarify this for the thread :smile: If you are starting at York this year (2016/17 academic year), you have to take your LFA course during the first year of study. If you are already at York (having starting in 2013/14, 2014/5 or 2015/16 and haven't already enrolled on an LFA course, you are still entitled to a free course.

Hope that clears things up!

Katie
Reply 12
Yep, I'm signed up to learn Chinese this year, thoroughly looking forward to it! Great thing to put on your CV as well! No better time to try it than this year when you've got less on your plate!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending