The Student Room Group

£11 pounds a week...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 0to100
How'd you get all that? Like your application process..

If i were to guess:

- be in a household with a sub £25k income: get full loan + full bursaries from your university (obviously varies, but some unis - e.g. Edinburgh with their max £7k bursary for low income English students, or Imperial with up to £5-6k - are more generous than others). The above is all automatic once you've filled out student finance as they send the data to your uni.

- get good grades, or write a good application: get scholarship (either from the uni or outside source).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by drriversong
I agree with you to a certain extent. IMO the middle class are the worst off as their parents are wealthy enough to support themselves but not their kids as well (especially if you have siblings at uni too)

I mean like if they're child is at university and struggling with finances, they should help them out as much as they can. Considering they get a high income, the government expects them to help out their children hence the low student finance support.

They don't have to support the children that much, tution fee and accommodation is usually covered. It's what left over is the problem, surely parents with high income wouldn't miss £20/30 etc?

I'd prefer to have parents with high income though, ah well. If and when I have children I will support them and help them in any way I can (especially if I have the finances to do so).
I applied for student finance like normal and I got an email a few months later saying that I was eligible for a scholarship and a bursary

So you didn't take any loans on the side? Like private loans or anything? That's a lot of money you've got there my friend.
Original post by 0to100
So you didn't take any loans on the side? Like private loans or anything? That's a lot of money you've got there my friend.

No-I was as shocked as you were when I sat down with my mom and calculated my weekly allowance
No-I was as shocked as you were when I sat down with my mom and calculated my weekly allowance

Yea man now one more question,is the household income below £25k? This will help loads and you can answer in pm if you feel more comfortable saying private stuff like that.
Reply 25
You'll have to try and do everything a cheaply as possible! I'm not entitled to any grants or loans as I'm studying from home with the Open University. My parents earn more than the recommended amount so I can't even do full time studying, only part time. Luckily, I have a part time job, if they keep me on, that is. Remember, if you do get a part time job, make sure you'll be able to fit it in and cope with all the uni work! Good luck!
Original post by tuxyu
Expecting any kind of logic from student finance is the mistake you're making here.

[video]https://youtu.be/vrApXCxi128[/video]
Does Student Finance expect you to live off it? Yes
Can you realistically expect to? Nope

Consider yourself lucky, I had -£8 a week to live off last year and -£12 a week to live off this year :frown:

I'd say a realistic weekly spending would be about £20 when you factor in occasional large things too
Im shocked 11 a week just wow :s-smilie: :s-smilie:
Reply 29
Look into whether or not your uni have any scholarships or bursaries you are eligible for. I got £8k worth in them from my uni in my first year. Otherwise, it's a part time job and a serious close eye on your budget (which you should be doing anyway). :yep:
Original post by Airmed
Look into whether or not your uni have any scholarships or bursaries you are eligible for. I got £8k worth in them from my uni in my first year. Otherwise, it's a part time job and a serious close eye on your budget (which you should be doing anyway). :yep:

Bursaries are based on household income.
Did you get a grant as well? and i think SF are expecting you to get a job or support from your family. £11 sounds right to me unfortunately :s-smilie:
Reply 32
Original post by Tiger Rag
Bursaries are based on household income.

Some unis have bursaries where the threshold can be high. Granted, higher the income the less on bursary.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending