The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Asklepios
38/40 is really just a TSR consensus and no ones really proved what you actually need. Could be 38, but could also be 36 or 37. If it's still the same as before, if they have a number of candidates at the threshold score, then they rank by UKCAT.

Hi!
This thread seems to be extremely helpful. I would love to apply to Edinburgh as it has such a fantastic reputation for medicine and is my favourite UK city. Don't know if my points are quite good enough for applying?

GCSEs: 9A*s, A, B
AS: AAAA
A2 (predicted): A*A*Aa
UKCAT: 703.3 Avg Band 2 (this worries me as loads of people seem to have higher)
Work Experience: shadowed surgeon, GP and am currently volunteering in an A+E in Belfast (where i live)

I currently cant access the Edinburgh website, but when i can i will check out the link to that handbook as i'm sure it will be helpful.
I'm also thinking of applying to Glasgow, Manchester and possibly Birmingham or QUB, i feel more confident about my chances at these places, but would be delighted if anyone could give my any guidance about whether or not Edinburgh is worth a try?
Original post by dwightkurtshrute
Hi!
This thread seems to be extremely helpful. I would love to apply to Edinburgh as it has such a fantastic reputation for medicine and is my favourite UK city. Don't know if my points are quite good enough for applying?

UKCAT: 703.3 Avg Band 2 (this worries me as loads of people seem to have higher)
Work Experience: shadowed surgeon, GP and am currently volunteering in an A+E in Belfast (where i live)

I currently cant access the Edinburgh website, but when i can i will check out the link to that handbook as i'm sure it will be helpful.
I'm also thinking of applying to Glasgow, Manchester and possibly Birmingham or QUB, i feel more confident about my chances at these places, but would be delighted if anyone could give my any guidance about whether or not Edinburgh is worth a try?

Your stats are fine for Edinburgh and will put you within a good shout. I am sure this will be a similar story for your other medical school options so just apply where you like.
Just wondering if there was a difference in places and offers with English vs Scottish appplicants?
I am english - im not compared to the scottish applicants am i? does this mean there are less places for english applicants? any stats?

Original post by Anon2305
Just wondering if there was a difference in places and offers with English vs Scottish appplicants?
I am english - im not compared to the scottish applicants am i? does this mean there are less places for english applicants? any stats?

The actual places you'll be competiting over are different due to funding stuff. But proportionally there's the same amount of places for both fee groups:
http://www.ed.ac.uk/files/atoms/files/disclosure_of_information_-_sept_2015_0.pdf
Original post by dwightkurtshrute
Hi!

Band 2 is a bit of a killer with Edinburgh (as you've already lost two points on their scoring system) but I'm sure a strong PS should compensate for that.
The actual places you'll be competiting over are different due to funding stuff. But proportionally there's the same amount of places for both fee groups:
http://www.ed.ac.uk/files/atoms/files/disclosure_of_information_-_sept_2015_0.pdf

Oh okay thank you :smile:
How are GCSES scored
I have 9A* 3A but 2 of the As are english lit and lang
Do i still get full points?
How are GCSES scored

Yes you do. English Lit and Language are seperated subjects for everyone.
How are GCSES scored

Yeah they just look at best ten
Can somone clarify please if I have 8A* at GCSE but english language isn't one of them (only an A) do I have full marks on the gcse criteria or not?
Original post by NuclearFallout
Can somone clarify please if I have 8A* at GCSE but english language isn't one of them (only an A) do I have full marks on the gcse criteria or not?

Yes you do
Yes you do

Sorry to bother but may I ask how you know? Like what exactly do you need for full marks on gcses and a level criteria. Thank you.
Sorry to bother but may I ask how you know? Like what exactly do you need for full marks on gcses and a level criteria. Thank you.

They say on the admissions document that 8A* grants for full GCSE marks :redface:

You need 10'As of which 8'are A*s. There are some subject requirements (English, maths, sciences), but it doesn't matter whether you get the A or A* in these.
Reply 74
Hey! I'm pretty confused about the score out of 40-is the cut off 38/40?

I have 12a*s at GCSE, AAAa A level, ukcat 717 band 1,

What score would this give presuming I got maximum at personal statement?
Original post by Shanx2
Hey! I'm pretty confused about the score out of 40-is the cut off 38/40?

I have 12a*s at GCSE, AAAa A level, ukcat 717 band 1,

What score would this give presuming I got maximum at personal statement?

If you get a maximum score for your PS with those stat you would probably get 40/40
Reply 76
I called and apparently I get a score of 37 presuming a perfect PS...I might not apply then if the cut off is 38
When it says on the point system
4 for 4A at as level
Then it says to get 5 yoy need A*AA? Is this predicted then? just to know my full academic points

I got 9A* 3A gcse and 5A at as level and predicted A*AA

Thanks
Original post by Shanx2
I called and apparently I get a score of 37 presuming a perfect PS...I might not apply then if the cut off is 38

Would you mind sharing where you lost the points please? Only i have some similar stats to you and didnt realise it would be 37
Reply 79
Would you mind sharing where you lost the points please? Only i have some similar stats to you and didnt realise it would be 37

yeah an A = -2 points, and I predict that I'm in the 7th octile = -1 point

Latest

Trending

Trending