The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by UCLQ
Is Barclays open? I can't seem to find it.

I mean, it's not like the guy I replied to mentioned when Barclays is opening or anything.

Posted from TSR Mobile
When applying some banks ask where you heard about them. In your opinion, does selecting "current employee" and then specifying who the person is give you extra points? And what about selecting "campus recruitment event"?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by usualsuspects
When applying some banks ask where you heard about them. In your opinion, does selecting "current employee" and then specifying who the person is give you extra points? And what about selecting "campus recruitment event"?

I don't think it matters that much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
I don't think it matters that much.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hope so, since this early I haven't attended any event yet, and only met few people.

Btw, looks like BAML doesn't ask to upload a CV, very strange... It also has a weird format for extracurriculars, since it's all about "employment type", "employer", etc...
Hope so, since this early I haven't attended any event yet, and only met few people.

Btw, looks like BAML doesn't ask to upload a CV, very strange... It also has a weird format for extracurriculars, since it's all about "employment type", "employer", etc...

yep. a lot of simplified/streamlined application processes this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
yep. a lot of simplified/streamlined application processes this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sounds good, but it may mean more focus on interviews.

How many do you think are applying from your unis? At my European target only a few are, but this may change when IBs come on campus.
(edited 7 years ago)
Sounds good, but it may mean more focus on interviews.

How many do you think are applying from your unis? At my European target only a few are, but this may change when IBs come on campus.

lol 0 others (unless I persuade a few promising people to apply), I'm going to a non-target this year unfortunately.

It's quite good though because fewer direct competitors and I can stand out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 907
Hey everyone, I hope you're all progressing well with your applications.

I know this may seem quite trivial, but I find it very hard to construct a reasons of motivation of doing investment banking and what motivated me to apply to a spring week, i.e. making a cover letter. Does anyone have any advice for someone in my position? It would help a great deal.

Thanks in advance!
Original post by PISA
Hey everyone, I hope you're all progressing well with your applications.

I know this may seem quite trivial, but I find it very hard to construct a reasons of motivation of doing investment banking and what motivated me to apply to a spring week, i.e. making a cover letter. Does anyone have any advice for someone in my position? It would help a great deal.

Thanks in advance!

I mean, you kinda need to know why you want to apply, in order to apply.. So maybe do a bit more research into the roles within a bank that interest you, and come up with reasons for that interest.

Same with why a particular bank, look for what sets them apart from the competition and their culture/values and why particularly you like them.

You've gotta be prepared for this as it'll come up in pretty much every single interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys, sorry if this seems like a stupid question but, for university events organised by investment banks, what criteria do they use to accept/reject you from the events. For example, Goldman Sachs ask you to upload your CV and then they decide whether or not you are invited to the event. So, what could they be looking for and what do they reject/accept people for. Do they just look at exam results?
Hey everyone...
I have two unconditional offers... one from warwick for this year for Bsc econ and one for next year from lse also for bsc econ... Is LSE worth the gap year, or should I just go warwick?

At the moment, I don't have any finance related work experience... (only ngo related)... so I'm worried if I go Warwick and I apply for SW's/insight days that I won't be successful...

If I take a gap year I could probably try get some work experience, improving my application... also, do employers ask for reasons/what you did in a gap year between school and uni?

I'm not really set on banking tbh... more interested in consultancy... what would you guys advise?
Original post by icedark_knight
Hey everyone...
I have two unconditional offers... one from warwick for this year for Bsc econ and one for next year from lse also for bsc econ... Is LSE worth the gap year, or should I just go warwick?

At the moment, I don't have any finance related work experience... (only ngo related)... so I'm worried if I go Warwick and I apply for SW's/insight days that I won't be successful...

If I take a gap year I could probably try get some work experience, improving my application... also, do employers ask for reasons/what you did in a gap year between school and uni?

I'm not really set on banking tbh... more interested in consultancy... what would you guys advise?

If you can get good experience over the gap year then i would say its worth it. The difference between Warwick and LSE alone is definitely not worth the gap year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by therealdeal580
If you can get good experience over the gap year then i would say its worth it. The difference between Warwick and LSE alone is definitely not worth the gap year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh ok...
Gap year was unplanned... marking error... so I doubt I can sort out anything stellar at this point...
Btw... What are chances of getting a SW with no finance related work experience? Is it possible?
Oh ok...
Gap year was unplanned... marking error... so I doubt I can sort out anything stellar at this point...
Btw... What are chances of getting a SW with no finance related work experience? Is it possible?

Since you're at a target university where the big banks are coming to your campus and wanting to entrtain you, I'd say if you show some promise or general interest to recruiters then that can help your application and make up for the lack of experience some what when you apply.

If you have any volunteering or non finance work experience and are able to highlight some skills they are looking for generally and make the shine in your CV/application then that will also help.

Gap year for LSE is not worth it.
Reply 914
Hey everyone...

It depends on you, I personally would choose the Gap Year option. Whilst LSE isn't THAT substantially better then WW, I've have many friends going there compared to WW which alone would swing my decision. London life is pretty cool too.
Hey everyone...

Up to you, either option is a good option. I think the important question here is if you want a gap year and if you think the increased cost of living at lse is worth it.

My advice is to weigh up the pros and cons of the gap year and how you intend to make the most of it - there's marginal difference between either university in terms of your chances so I would rule that out of the calculus completely

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh ok...

Yeah my point is focus more on Gap year vs no Gap year and if you think you can add value instead of Warwick vs LSE since both are very heavily targeted from top firms and both have top top Economics schools.

Because if you can get great experience over the year then i would say go for it because otherwise you will have wasted a year going from one target to another.

Also I think there are a huge amount of opportunities at Warwick to enhance ur CV if thats your concern , a lot of my friends got top BB FO SWs without much prior experience from there , so its what you make of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 917
I honestly think students with a gap year come across as more interesting. At my last job interview, the first round was heavily focused on my gap year activity. It's a good year to mature. I took a gap year myself and learned more in that year than I did in any other year of my life.

LSE > Warwick. Warwick is not that well-known outside UK compared to LSE. You could ask anyone at my school and people would all know about the LSE brand, but not Warwick.

With that being said, Warwick has a lot of alumni in finance.
Original post by RWiz
I honestly think students with a gap year come across as more interesting. At my last job interview, the first round was heavily focused on my gap year activity. It's a good year to mature. I took a gap year myself and learned more in that year than I did in any other year of my life.

LSE > Warwick. Warwick is not that well-known outside UK compared to LSE. You could ask anyone at my school and people would all know about the LSE brand, but not Warwick.

With that being said, Warwick has a lot of alumni in finance.

Agree with the first bit of the post, gap years mature you exponentially, especially if you take the time to learn as much as possible and explore the world + find interesting work to do.

Disagree with the latter, there's marginal difference in 'chances' or 'probabilities' of OP getting into a good career between either 2 of those universities. Any perceived difference is most likely amplified noise.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey everyone...

Unless you you have a pretty good gap year scheme lined up go for Warwick.
At SW level they are not expecting you to have any finance related experience, heck I know people from Warwick who got FO Summer offers from top banks without any previous significant finance experience.

At SW level they are just looking for drive and passion for finance and you need to be intellectually curious, I don't care what people on here tell you, going to Warwick or LSE is not going to make any significant difference since they are both adored by top firms, Either way its not worth taking an empty gap year for the sake on changing universities.
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending