The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bjt1882
Hi, I just wanted some opinions quicky:

I just realised that I'm only taking 9 GCSE's...
I'm expected mostly A/A*, but I'm looking to go to Farnborough Sixth for A Levels, and I'm worried that my lack of GCSE's will let me down, as everyone on TSR has between 10 and 12 generally.

The reason why I'm only doing 9 is because nobody in my year is doing triple science, which as so annoying for me as science is one of my best subjects and I know that I could easily get 3 A's or more in it.

So will it ruin my chances or not...?

No, it will be absolutely fine.
Original post by bjt1882
Hi, I just wanted some opinions quicky:

I just realised that I'm only taking 9 GCSE's...
I'm expected mostly A/A*, but I'm looking to go to Farnborough Sixth for A Levels, and I'm worried that my lack of GCSE's will let me down, as everyone on TSR has between 10 and 12 generally.

The reason why I'm only doing 9 is because nobody in my year is doing triple science, which as so annoying for me as science is one of my best subjects and I know that I could easily get 3 A's or more in it.

So will it ruin my chances or not...?

I don't think it would. I'm only doing 9 GCSEs as I don't know why but for my year they only let us do 9?? Its been 10 in the past I really don't know why its changed

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi I'm @robstar124
I'm taking 10 subjects at gcse which are:
Maths (Edexcel)
Additional Maths (Edexcel)
English Language (AQA)
English Literature (AQA)
Biology (OCR)
Chemistry (OCR)
Physics (OCR)
Religious Education (AQA)
Geography (AQA B)
Computer Science (AQA)

I think I am ready for the new maths GCSE however I'm ****ing myself for the english GCSE.

My favourite subjects are Maths, Physics and Computer science.
My dream career is probably a software architect (ikr nerdy).
(i don't know if i'm a bit late posting on this thread but i thought i'd do it anyway.)
hey, i'm katy and i'm an avid reader, aspiring criminology student and shameless (us) enthusiast.
i'm taking nine subjects at gcse which are:
english literature [eduqas]
english language [eduqas]
maths [edexcel]
chemistry [ocr]
biology [ocr]
physics [ocr]
geography [wjec]
german [ocr]
art [aqa]
(i think that most of them of the right exam boards but honestly some of those are guesses because i really don't have a clue.)
i love learning about criminal justice and i hope to study criminology at university before going on to become a police officer.
i am also terrible at revision, so i'm terrified of this year, since i can't remember a thing!
My Name Is NadirElbs And i am In year 11 i am studying......:colone::biggrin::biggrin:

Maths
English
Science
Media Studies
Graphic Design
Geography :biggrin::biggrin:
Hi I am Snowystar and I am in year 11. I really love to stargaze and I really love history with science and maths. I also enjoy reading, especially the Lorien Legacies (now completed). I have already done a couple of GCSEs and an AS Level (which was really tricky and done in the third of a time of a normal student) and I really want to get the highest grades possible. Below is a list of the GCSEs I have taken and the exam board:

Maths (AQA)
Triple science which is Biology Chemistry and Physics (AQA)
English literature (AQA)
English language (AQA)
Geography (AQA A)
History (AQA)
German (AQA)
Graphics or graphic design (OCR)

GCSEs I have already taken
Citizenship (I got a B, taken in year 8)
Statistics (Got a B, taken in year 10 - one mark off an A 😭)

My target grades are as follows:

Maths 9
English (both) 7+ pushing into 8
Sciences (all 3) A*
Geography A
History A
German A
Graphics A

My likely grades
Maths 8+
English 7
Sciences A*3
Geography B1
History A3
German B1
Graphics A3

I definitely do not feel ready to take my GCSEs especially the new ones since they are so much harder than the old ones. Hopefully I will get good enough GCSEs to achieve my dream of becoming an astronomer. 😀

The subject I am suffering most with is German right now. I have to learn 120 words a week to help with my vocab as it is my weakest subject (I am a pass but would like to achieve the highest grades). If anyone knows any revision tips for German please help.

My strongest subjects are the sciences and maths so I could help a few people there. I'm ok at all of my other subjects too.

Many thanks Snowystar
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by patriciaanne
I don't think it would. I'm only doing 9 GCSEs as I don't know why but for my year they only let us do 9?? Its been 10 in the past I really don't know why its changed

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe you done two sciences instead of three?
Original post by Snowystar
Maybe you done two sciences instead of three?

No Im doing triple science, so Im definitely doing 3 science gcses

Posted from TSR Mobile
Science ISAs :/
Original post by BobBobson

Although they can be a pain, they do reduce the stress of the exams, just a little bit, by knowing that you have "x" grade already in your ISA.
Original post by BobBobson

^^^^^^^^^^^
Hello, I'm Najma and I'm new. I've already been in year 11 for 2 weeks.
Subjects that I'm taking are
English literature and language AQA
Maths probably EDEXCEL
Core science AQA
French AQA
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
ICT EDEXCEL
History Geography

I haven't thought about the future yet but I will probably do the sciences and maths.I seriously dreading being in year 11 especially because of the new English and maths specifications. Like all we do in maths is problem solving and I'm supposed to learn lots of quotations by heart. I've done most of my control assessments in year 10,When are you guys planning to start revising?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Gintama2000
Hello, I'm Najma and I'm new. I've already been in year 11 for 2 weeks.
Subjects that I'm taking are
English literature and language AQA
Maths probably EDEXCEL
Core science AQA
French AQA
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
ICT EDEXCEL
History Geography

I haven't thought about the future yet but I will probably do the sciences and maths.I seriously dreading being in year 11 especially because of the new English and maths specifications. Like all we do in maths is problem solving and I'm supposed to learn lots of quotations by heart. I've done most of my control assessments in year 10,When are you guys planning to start revising?

I've already started revising, but I haven't done too much revision, more making my final notes for subjects at the moment. it is good to start revising though because of your mocks, mine are at Christmas.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Simonexoxo
I've already started revising, but I haven't done too much revision, more making my final notes for subjects at the moment. it is good to start revising though because of your mocks, mine are at Christmas.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same, I'm not revising as such, I'm rather making and refining my notes for my mocks. I'm almost definitely going to use said notes for my final exams too, albeit with some additions of topics I missed, and minor imporovements.
Reply 614
Year 11. Gr8. Woo.

Eh I'm doing:

AQA Triple Science

AQA History- Modern World

English Lit- An Inspector Calls, A Christmas Carol&Macbeth. Also, poetry. Fun times.

English Lang- not even covered anything on this yet:/

AQA French- legit the best GCSE subject, imo.

AQA(?)Catering and Hospitality- food&much coursework.

Edexcel Maths- Targeted a 9, no chance.
Original post by idfk_
Year 11. Gr8. Woo.

Eh I'm doing:

AQA Triple Science

English Lit- An Inspector Calls, A Christmas Carol&Macbeth. Also, poetry. Fun times.

You never know :wink:
Reply 616
Original post by _gcx
You never know :wink:

Aha, I guess that's true. Miracles can happen..
Original post by idfk_
Year 11. Gr8. Woo.

Eh I'm doing:

AQA Triple Science

A 9's not impossible, my teacher told me I couldn't get a 9 and an 8 would be what I would probably get but I really wonna prove her wrong

Posted from TSR Mobile
To anyone that has done their ISA's what does it entail.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 619
Original post by Simonexoxo
A 9's not impossible, my teacher told me I couldn't get a 9 and an 8 would be what I would probably get but I really wonna prove her wrong

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lmfao, aye I really hope you get a 9.

Latest