The Student Room Group

Finding biology at AS level very boring...should I continue?

I'm doing chem maths bio and french but am wondering if i should switch biology to something like english lit which would take me away from sciences a bit. In bio im studying cells and biochemistry and i find it agonisingly boring...i don't know whether to stick it out (does it get more interesting?). I was considering doing something like biomedical sciences at uni because i find disease very interesting, but now im starting to doubt whether i would even lile that. Can anyone who's done biology or a mix of science and arts subjects give me some advice please?
Which subjects interested you during GCSEs?
Why don't you have a look at the rest of the topics and see what you think. But if you want to do biochem/biomed then you will need biology, probably to an A grade.
Reply 3
i liked all my subjects except physics. i particularly enjoyed languages and history, but some parts of biology like evolution and genetics i liked as well. even the topics I didn't like I never found as boring as the AS has been so far
Original post by elisha22
i liked all my subjects except physics. i particularly enjoyed languages and history, but some parts of biology like evolution and genetics i liked as well. even the topics I didn't like I never found as boring as the AS has been so far

I started off year 12 with Maths, Chemistry, Physics, and Biology.

I dropped Biology 2 weeks into year 12 (switched to Computer Science) after finding it extremely boring - and I actually found it somewhat interesting at GCSE. One of my friends who carried through with it, has just dropped it after AS despite him getting an A in it and the highest marks in the class and hated it throughout the year. He thought it would improve with time but in his opinion, it didn't.

If you are having doubts about it now, its better to drop it now and catch up in another subject than regret doing something you hate for a year. You won't even be that far behind if you switch subjects.
You want to do biomedicine but find biology boring?

Just stick with it, it'll be worth it in the end
Cells and biochemistry is only one part of the course, yoy should definitely look at the rest of the curriculum and see what it has to offer. You should know that As biology (at least on the AQA spec) also has topics on Immunity, Prokaryotes, DNA and Protein Synthesis, Meioisis, the cell cycle, cancer etc which are all topics that I loved!
If you want to do Bio Med, staying with Biology is a must, plus you have to realise that before you can reach the really interesting nibits, you have to get through the (somewhat boring) basics first

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would try and stick with it, if I were you, especially if you want to go on to something biology or life science related. There are so many topics, there will be ones you dislike, but also ones you love. For example I hated ecology which we did earlier in the course, but I really enjoyed the genetics and genetic engineering section and that was the very last topic we learned. If you really hate it, are struggling, and it's making you miserable, then maybe rethink what you want to do later on.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by VMD100
You want to do biomedicine but find biology boring?

Just stick with it, it'll be worth it in the end

I didn't find biology boring at GCSE; however I am now which is why I'm reconsidering actually doing biomedicine at university
Reply 9
Original post by Bright_Gift
Cells and biochemistry is only one part of the course, yoy should definitely look at the rest of the curriculum and see what it has to offer. You should know that As biology (at least on the AQA spec) also has topics on Immunity, Prokaryotes, DNA and Protein Synthesis, Meioisis, the cell cycle, cancer etc which are all topics that I loved!
If you want to do Bio Med, staying with Biology is a must, plus you have to realise that before you can reach the really interesting nibits, you have to get through the (somewhat boring) basics first

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do understand that but the thing is I'm finding the basics very boring (which I didn't really find at GCSE) so I'm worried I won't actually enjoy the parts I did like at GCSE like genetics etc.
I do understand that but the thing is I'm finding the basics very boring (which I didn't really find at GCSE) so I'm worried I won't actually enjoy the parts I did like at GCSE like genetics etc.

If you have a course text book or access to the syllabus there's nothing to stop you reading ahead/looking at the genetic content. It's very different to GCSE but atleast you'll know if you like it :smile:

For me, I really enjoyed the parts I loved at GCSE, like the circulatory system and the heart, DNA and the genes, because you to explore them in a bit more depth and answer some of the questions that pesky GCSEs never answered. Hopefully it'll be the same for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest