The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Unistudent77
Depends if it is 'pain' or not.

Like, if it is just severe DOMS then that will improve in the coming weeks. The day after you will feel something but it shouldn't be actual pain and if you get regularly training ie 3x a week or more then you get no DOMS whatsoever i've found (or very minimal at most).

Just monitor it but i would expect it to ease as the days and weeks pass

It was actual pain yesterday. I struggled to do even the simple task of tying shoe laces. Today it's more of an ache but still very uncomfortable.
[QUOTE=Airmed;67552838]It was actual pain yesterday. I struggled to do even the simple task of tying shoe laces. Today it's more of an ache but still very uncomfortable.

Sounds like severe doms. The more you train, the less severe it will be.

Just do what you can, your body will adapt. Just the shock of suddenly doing loads :smile:
Sounds like horrific DOMS. Go for a walk. And next time you're in the gym cut everything back by 50%
Reply 23
Original post by Angry cucumber
Sounds like horrific DOMS. Go for a walk. And next time you're in the gym cut everything back by 50%

Usually I'm fine. I think it really was because of that class and then doing stuff after it. I do feel better today, had to do a bit of walking.
Original post by Airmed
Usually I'm fine. I think it really was because of that class and then doing stuff after it. I do feel better today, had to do a bit of walking.

As they all said it just sounds like Doms. Quite normal. Some ibuprofen should help a bit. It gets better as your body adjusts.

1. Will it lift your mood? Yes if you go often enough and push yourself a bit.
2. Will you be able to lose weight? Yes if you control your calories. Its 80% food so weigh and record it. Open an account on MFP and that makes it much easier. Just need to be at consistent deficit.
Reply 25
Original post by 999tigger
As they all said it just sounds like Doms. Quite normal. Some ibuprofen should help a bit. It gets better as your body adjusts.

1. Will it lift your mood? Yes if you go often enough and push yourself a bit.
2. Will you be able to lose weight? Yes if you control your calories. Its 80% food so weigh and record it. Open an account on MFP and that makes it much easier. Just need to be at consistent deficit.

A hot water bottle worked better last night. I ended up going on a long walk last night after the fire alarm went off (long story).

As for weight, I'm watching what I eat and I have cut down. It's now just hoping that my medication doesn't play nasty. However, I was at the hospital yesterday and was told I have to keep an eye on my weight.
Reply 26
14/9/16:

Well, that was a sort of worthless hospital appointment yesterday. However, it meant I had to do a bit of walking, and that helped with the aching. I also took a long walk last night with my SO after our building’s fire alarm went off and it took an hour and a half for it to be switched off. I went to bed with a hot water bottle, and I woke up fine today.

I went to the gym this morning, because Wednesday mornings suit my uni timetable and the fact that it is quiet. But because I have only just gotten back to fully functioning body and not wanting to swear every time I sat down, I took it easy this morning, taking my time, and not staying as long as usual. I have taken my protein shake, done my stretches, showered, so I should be ok.

Power plate: leg stretches; 1 minute each leg;front plank: 30 seconds

Hip abduction: 12.1kg for 5 minutes

Seated leg curl: 12.4kg for 5 minutes

Leg curl: 11kg for 5 minutes

Converging chest press: 6.7kg for 5 minutes

Calf press: 11kg for 2 and a half minutes

Power plate: squat 45 seconds x2; leg stretches: 1 minute each leg;front plank: 30 seconds

I really need to keep this up. Yesterday at my appointment, I was told that I need to keep a very close eye on my weight due to the medication I am currently on, and the further medication that they may put me on in a few weeks. It wasn’t easy to be told that when I am already sensitive about my weight, but I am not going to complain anymore about it.
You're doing all you can.

Gym will help put any extra calories into muscle building as well as being a source of energy expenditure. Cardio will increase calories burned obviously too.

Do light cardio ie walking on 'rest' days.

I can't imagine the weight gain being significant if you are religious with diet and exercise.

I hope you get to come off the medication soon after it being successful :smile:
Reply 28
You're doing all you can.

Gym will help put any extra calories into muscle building as well as being a source of energy expenditure. Cardio will increase calories burned obviously too.

Do light cardio ie walking on 'rest' days.

I can't imagine the weight gain being significant if you are religious with diet and exercise.

I hope you get to come off the medication soon after it being successful :smile:

I do a lot of walking, I really enjoy it :h: I have Pokemon Go simply for the eggs so I can track how long a walk I do. :tongue: Sad, I know!

As for the medication I am on, it is an anti pyschotic for mental health. If it works out (ie side effects are fine and all) then I will be on it long term most likely. :redface:
[QUOTE=Airmed;67567878]I do a lot of walking, I really enjoy it :h: I have Pokemon Go simply for the eggs so I can track how long a walk I do. :tongue: Sad, I know!

As for the medication I am on, it is an anti pyschotic for mental health. If it works out (ie side effects are fine and all) then I will be on it long term most likely. :redface:

Good good. I like a nice walk/jog to clear my head. I listen to music and just chill out. Puts you in quite a positive place i find.

I see, forgive my ignorance then.

Surely the 'weight gain' is a 'possible' side effect?

Everyone responds differently, i think if you are just that bit more careful then you can mitigate against any increased tendancy to gain weight
Reply 30
Good good. I like a nice walk/jog to clear my head. I listen to music and just chill out. Puts you in quite a positive place i find.

I see, forgive my ignorance then.

Surely the 'weight gain' is a 'possible' side effect?

Everyone responds differently, i think if you are just that bit more careful then you can mitigate against any increased tendancy to gain weight

I always listent to music when i exercise. Helps me to focus.

This particular one can even make you gain weight without you increasing your calorie intake. The doctor yesterday said that it's extremely common for young women like me to increase weight on it. I'm terrified.
[QUOTE=Airmed;67568810]I always listent to music when i exercise. Helps me to focus.

This particular one can even make you gain weight without you increasing your calorie intake. The doctor yesterday said that it's extremely common for young women like me to increase weight on it. I'm terrified.

Did he/she give any advice on how to mitigate against it?
Reply 32
Did he/she give any advice on how to mitigate against it?

No. She just said to keep a very close eye on it.
Reply 33
62kg at 5'5 doesn't sound too bad but im a a dude so wouldnt be that knowledgeable about these things.
look into counting calories
Reply 34
16/9/16:

Power plate: leg stretches: 1 minute each leg; front plank: 30 seconds

Hip abduction: 19.1kg for 5 minutes

Seated leg curl: 13.3kg for 5 minutes

Leg curl: 11kg for 5 minutes

Converging chest press: 6.7kg for 5 minutes

Calf press: 11kg for 2 and a half minutes

Leg press: 11kg for 5 minutes

Power plate: squat: 45 seconds; leg stretches: 1 minute each leg; front plank: 45 seconds

Best news ever! My medication is being changed to one that doesn't have weight gain as a side effect. That has certainly calmed my fears down.
Reply 35
18/9/16:

Box Fit class (plus stretches): 45 minutes.

After last week and the DOMS, I only did that class and went home. However, before I went home, I tried out one of those BMI scales in the changing rooms. I know that they are not 100%, but I like to believe that it’s accurate enough.

My scales at home have lied to me. I weigh more than I thought. Goddamnit. I should just buy electronic scales.

Anyway, just in case I lose the ticket:

Weight: 10st 4lb or 65.6kg

Height: 5’6.5 or 1.69m (for those that don’t know, my hair is quite…big.So my height changes from 5’5.5 to 5’6.5 depending).

BMI: 23.0

Body Fat: 22.8%

Body Fat Mass: 14.9kg
[QUOTE=Airmed;67635098]18/9/16:

Box Fit class (plus stretches): 45 minutes.

After last week and the DOMS, I only did that class and went home. However, before I went home, I tried out one of those BMI scales in the changing rooms. I know that they are not 100%, but I like to believe that it’s accurate enough.

My scales at home have lied to me. I weigh more than I thought. Goddamnit. I should just buy electronic scales.

Anyway, just in case I lose the ticket:

Weight: 10st 4lb or 65.6kg

Height: 5’6.5 or 1.69m (for those that don’t know, my hair is quite…big.So my height changes from 5’5.5 to 5’6.5 depending).

BMI: 23.0

Body Fat: 22.8%

Body Fat Mass: 14.9kg

What's the aim then?

I'd take the bf% etc with a pinch of salt but it is a good reference ie if next time it says 22% then you've lost bf etc.

If you strength train a bit, then you must factor in that your body composition will change despite perhaps staying the same weight ie less fat, more muscle.

Somewhere around 10st or a touch under would be a very healthy weight imo.
Reply 37
What's the aim then?

I'd take the bf% etc with a pinch of salt but it is a good reference ie if next time it says 22% then you've lost bf etc.

If you strength train a bit, then you must factor in that your body composition will change despite perhaps staying the same weight ie less fat, more muscle.

Somewhere around 10st or a touch under would be a very healthy weight imo.

Yeah, I am taking the bf with a pinch of salt, but using it as a reference like you said. Probably first see if I can get it down to 22% and so on until I hit about 20%. I think 20% is my aim.

Yeah, gym doesn't seem to help me lose weight. I just seem to add muscle. I still need to find some sort of exercise to focus on my core however, which is why I plan to try a new class this week.
[QUOTE=Airmed;67635358]Yeah, I am taking the bf with a pinch of salt, but using it as a reference like you said. Probably first see if I can get it down to 22% and so on until I hit about 20%. I think 20% is my aim.

Yeah, gym doesn't seem to help me lose weight. I just seem to add muscle. I still need to find some sort of exercise to focus on my core however, which is why I plan to try a new class this week.

Good plan :smile:

You need muscle for the body you will (presumably) want. I know loads of girls who are like 8st and don't have flat stomachs. They turn to 'diet' pills and loads of deeply unhealthy things to try and lose 'weight'.
They need to gain muscle, not just lose weight.

If you get to the stage where you want to try compound lifts ie Bench, Squat, Deadlift, those are best for your core.

Anything where your body must try and balance against the weight.

Leg raises are probably the best ab exercise, hanging leg raises are the best variation but not that many beginners could hold themselves up for that long.

Don't focus on weight, focus on how you look. I would not be aiming to go much below 10st. Just eat roughly at maintenance and exercise. You should slowly improve
Reply 39
Good plan :smile:

You need muscle for the body you will (presumably) want. I know loads of girls who are like 8st and don't have flat stomachs. They turn to 'diet' pills and loads of deeply unhealthy things to try and lose 'weight'.
They need to gain muscle, not just lose weight.

If you get to the stage where you want to try compound lifts ie Bench, Squat, Deadlift, those are best for your core.

Anything where your body must try and balance against the weight.

Leg raises are probably the best ab exercise, hanging leg raises are the best variation but not that many beginners could hold themselves up for that long.

Don't focus on weight, focus on how you look. I would not be aiming to go much below 10st. Just eat roughly at maintenance and exercise. You should slowly improve

I suppose I look alright right now, if I am really, really honest with myself (even though I have severe body confidence issues). I just need to tone up my stomach and my waist; my stomach is flat, it just could be flatter, if you get what I mean. I have a roundish face, due to a wide jaw, which gives off the impression that I am chubby under my clothes, but I haven't been chubby since I was a baby.

Thankfully I am not one of those girls. I don't have a petite body structure, I never will, so I know 8st is ridiculous for me.

Oh God, I sound so narcissistic sometimes. :redface:

I will look into compound lifts, but that won't be for another few weeks. New meds this week, apparently incredibly sedative, so I don't want to end up injuring myself. Best to try that when the side effects calm down.

Latest