The Student Room Group

How to revise for Religious Studies?

hey guys,
Am planning on making a revision timetable but I don't know how to revise for RS, should I just read through the textbook I have got or read through the notes I have from year 10 to refresh my memory?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Naomeyz_01
x

Can do. I found the most important part was basically just being very familiar with the questions/ structure (so complete past papers), key words (try and write these out and memorise them) and quotes to support from varying religions, depending on your paper (I wrote out a list of quotes for each topic, so when it came to revising, I mainly just had to try and learn these).
Try and use your preferred learning style too. I'm more of a visual learner so I just made notes with loads of colours and highlighting.
I hope that helps somewhat :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
hey guys,
Am planning on making a revision timetable but I don't know how to revise for RS, should I just read through the textbook I have got or read through the notes I have from year 10 to refresh my memory?

You could make flashcards on the key terms etc?:smile:
Past papers
hey guys,

Learn key words definitions word for word and pick out and practise answering tricky q's it works I got this and got an A*
Reply 5
Practice writing "Love thy neighbour" on some spare paper.
I got an A 1 mark of an A* which im gonna appeal for.
The best advice would be past papers. and master the exam technique
Which bored are you on?
hey guys,

http://www.memrise.com/

Make a course for your key words on this site and use this site to learn them.
If you do the course (or a level) at least each day then you will know the words until you're 50 years old because they'll be in your long term memory
Reply 8
I memorised the textbook we were given. It's not hard and if you ever get stuck - refer to the golden rule! :smile:
Another good way to revise RS is to try and rope someone into having a debate with you about the subjects you're covering in the exam. It's a good way to ensure that you thoroughly understand the subject and all the for and against points you will have to use in the paper.

Posted from TSR Mobile
hey guys,

Trust me, you don't even need to revise for rs! I 'revised' a couple of hours before the exams and got an A*! Just stick in a few religious quotes and you'll be fine!:smile:
Best of luck!x:biggrin:
Original post by AH127
Practice writing "Love thy neighbour" on some spare paper.

Lol I used this quote 20x in my exams...:tongue:
hey guys,

Make little mind maps for each subtopic using your revision guide then nearer to the real exam, do past papers. What exam board are you doing?
Just pray to god and you'll get A*s. If you're an atheist, you're screwed. Sorry. :console:
I had a revision guide, and I just went through the entire thing making revision cards of reasons for and against topics. I had the question on one side, then the all the applicable arguments on the back. It helps if you put the number of reasons on the question side too so you know you're not missing any when you answer the question. I did Sections 2 and 8 (Edexcel), and had about 100.

And, if all else fails, you have the 2 answers that will earn you marks in (almost) any question:
FOR:
"It's the most loving thing to do,"
AGAINST:
"IT'S A SIN!"
hey guys,

I got a B, and I did a LOT of past papers last year, which really helps. I made 2 sheets of a3 per section, so I had 2 units and 8 sections. I made everything because I am colour learner, but it depends whether you are a visual learner, etc. I stuck them on my walls so I could read little sections before I went to bed each night. It is helpful to start early as learning a little bit helps you remember better. I would advice reading through your notes and using this, along with your textbook to start making revision notes. As I say, you could draw pictures to remind you, or just write things down.
Hope I helped, and good luck!!
When I did religious studies like about two years ago I got an A*.
Idk if the papers have changed but yeah
I think the strategy is to know the format of each type of question. Like definition questions (what is...) give the definition but also an example etc.
The long questions intrude the topic a bit. Talk about the pros and cons then conclude it by giving your own opinion on the subject (doesn't have to be true I guess).

To revise the content I'd basically do alot of practice questions and just memorise all the definitions and stories/examples

Hope this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile
"God said *insert naïve/overly positive statement*"

On a serious note, for me in GCSE it wasn't so much about how accurately you memorised the textbook but the paragraph structure you used. Point, Example,Expand.
Reply 19
Get the syllabus and highlight any topics that you are unfamiliar with. Then ask your teacher for more support on those topics.

Syllabus

Quick Reply

Latest