The Student Room Group

Explosions in New York

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Snufkin
As I say, nobody has died, so no I don't think this event does merit rolling news coverage. Why should this news story eclipse everything else that is going on in the world?

The intention was clearly to kill.
Original post by Mathemagicien
Because humans have yet to evolve beyond emotions. Every human has the capacity to revert to a bestial state.

There will only be peace when all humans are rational, and share the same goals.

Sounds like a dull world though, not worth living in. Like the world at the end of Invasion of the Body Snatchers.
Original post by IkeaLamp
Ah yes, some more innocent criticism of an ideology - by insta-blaming Islam... :rolleyes:

It sounds (currently) like he has literally asked people if they are Muslim or worship Allah and stabbed those who said no.

I fail to see the problem with bringing his religion into the discussion. It doesn't sound like he stabbed them to protect his vegetable allotment, does it?
Ah yes, some more innocent criticism of an ideology - by insta-blaming Islam... :rolleyes:

Considering the major attacks in the last decade or so of islamic extremists on many major cities in the world including one on new york itself where 3000 people died in case you have forgotten,its hardly an unjustified conclusion.Bombings have become a hallmark of islamic extremism.And Islam does have everything to do with it btw. no one would have anything to fear from a jainist extremist because jainism is a completely peaceful religion unlike others you might mention.
Hopefully no one will die in this or in the Minnesota shopping mall stabbing.
I'm sure there are philosophers who have argued that a peaceful society is dull, and not worth living in.

Btw, why are you referencing a 60 year old movie? :eyeball:

Well, I meant the excellent remake as well, but what's wrong with referencing it?
@alevelisstress - Remember me telling you the media creates narratives reporting similar incidents in bunches ..?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1805113/one-person-killed-and-15-others-injured-after-huge-explosion-at-a-block-of-flats-near-barcelona/

A gas explosion in Spain would not be headline news but for the fact of the bombings in America
Because I had to google it :cry2:

It's a real classic, I thoroughly recommend it, and also the remake.
Reply 28

Apparently they were like those used during the Boston Marathon.
Anyone notice it seems to have completely disappeared from trending on Twitter?
Original post by Robby2312
Considering the major attacks in the last decade or so of islamic extremists on many major cities in the world including one on new york itself where 3000 people died in case you have forgotten,its hardly an unjustified conclusion.Bombings have become a hallmark of islamic extremism.And Islam does have everything to do with it btw. no one would have anything to fear from a jainist extremist because jainism is a completely peaceful religion unlike others you might mention.

Correlation does not imply causation. Its dumb and offensive to start your anti-PC attack on Islam before its even been confirmed, not to mention the various police reports saying that it has no direct link to terrorism.
Original post by 1010marina
It sounds (currently) like he has literally asked people if they are Muslim or worship Allah and stabbed those who said no.

I fail to see the problem with bringing his religion into the discussion. It doesn't sound like he stabbed them to protect his vegetable allotment, does it?

you're confusing the Minnesota mall stabbing with this event, please sort yourself out
Correlation does not imply causation. Its dumb and offensive to start your anti-PC attack on Islam before its even been confirmed, not to mention the various police reports saying that it has no direct link to terrorism.

Whats dumb and offensive is constantly denying the cause of these terror attacks.The police say it has no link to terrorism.Yes a bomb goes off in a major city its not terrorism.What else is it likely to be exactly?Peaceful protest? The russians declaring war? What they mean is there is no link yet to a terror group,but its more than likely one of these lone wolf islamic extremists.
Because humans have yet to evolve beyond emotions. Every human has the capacity to revert to a bestial state.

There will only be peace when all humans are rational, and share the same goals.

but animals do not behave like this... **
Whats dumb and offensive is constantly denying the cause of these terror attacks.The police say it has no link to terrorism.Yes a bomb goes off in a major city its not terrorism.What else is it likely to be exactly?Peaceful protest? The russians declaring war? What they mean is there is no link yet to a terror group,but its more than likely one of these lone wolf islamic extremists.

Because its disputable whether Islam is the cause, or whether ISIS, who actively nitpick extremist parts of Islam and ignore peaceful parts and motivate foreign nationals to commit atrocities in their name, is the cause.

It could've just as easily been a far-right, anti-establishment, anti-PC attack as well. Both extreme rightists and extreme Islamists are the same thing - malleable individuals who are motivated to attack in the name of an ideology because the ideology, purported by far-rightist parties or by Islamist terrorists, collectivises the anger of these sorts of people and transforms it into anti-west or anti-liberal sentiment.
Because its disputable whether Islam is the cause, or whether ISIS, who actively nitpick extremist parts of Islam and ignore peaceful parts and motivate foreign nationals to commit atrocities in their name, is the cause.

It could've just as easily been a far-right, anti-establishment, anti-PC attack as well. Both extreme rightists and extreme Islamists are the same thing - malleable individuals who are motivated to attack in the name of an ideology because the ideology, purported by far-rightist parties or by Islamist terrorists, collectivises the anger of these sorts of people and transforms it into anti-west or anti-liberal sentiment.

Islam is the cause.The difference between moderate muslims and extremist muslims is that moderate muslims take their faith far less seriously.Extremist muslims take their faith seriously.They dont cherrypick the parts of islam they dont like.When it says kill unbelivers in the quran extremists dont ignore that,moderate muslims do.Muhhamed who is venerated by muslims spread islam at the point of a sword.
Whole thing's fake bruv. Yet another jewish hoax, soon we'll see all the usual crisis actors pouring on to CNN
Islam is the cause.The difference between moderate muslims and extremist muslims is that moderate muslims take their faith far less seriously.Extremist muslims take their faith seriously.They dont cherrypick the parts of islam they dont like.When it says kill unbelivers in the quran extremists dont ignore that,moderate muslims do.Muhhamed who is venerated by muslims spread islam at the point of a sword.

Islam is a factor, not the solitary cause.

In the Quran, it may say to slay all kuffars, but it also says that if the enemy wants peace, you should also invoke peace.

There are some blatant contradictions in the Quran, if the fault is the ambiguity of this religious scripture, the fault lies in the hateufl, evil person who chooses the destructive message over the peaceful message. This is why almost all Muslims are peaceful, almost all of them choose peace and very few choose destruction - hatred which brews because of various other factors is what motivates some Muslims to choose the destructive interpretation over the peaceful one. Islam is a factor, but by no means the only factor, nor the main one.
Lets go back in time to the cold war
you're confusing the Minnesota mall stabbing with this event, please sort yourself out

#TRIGGERED

No, that's what I'm talking about. If you'd bothered to read the first page before jumping in, you'd see that at first people thought the two events were connected (as per IS modus operandi in France), then I posted a BBC link to the Minnesota attack with more details. Including the ROP detail.

As far as I'm aware there is no peaceful connection to the bombs? Coulter's Law springs to mind, though...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending