The Student Room Group

I think a speed camera flashed me going 32 in a 30

So I was going down a quiet, open road this evening and the speed limit was 30. I am 99% certain my speedometer was on the 32 mark, maybe between 32-33, but as I got close to the camera I swear i saw a small white flash. I'm not 100% confident on this but I'm pretty sure it flashed.

There was also a car behind me which seemed to be fairly close to the back of me

Should I be worried?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
:kart: uh oh spaghetti-o:kart:
Reply 2
No because what's happened has happened. No need to worry about something that can't be changed now. Sorry to hear that you're getting points and a fine :frown:
Reply 3
If you were only going 33mph according to your speedo then probably not, the speedo is usually 2-3mph less than the actual speed.
Hahahahaha, I'm sorry but hahahahaha. :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:
Reply 5
Original post by B_9710
If you were only going 33mph according to your speedo then probably not, the speedo is usually 2-3mph less than the actual speed.

So he was actually driving faster?
Reply 6
Original post by AshEntropy
So he was actually driving faster?

No if the speedo says 33mph then the car is probably going 30mph.
Reply 7
Original post by B_9710
No if the speedo says 33mph then the car is probably going 30mph.

Hahahah whoops sorry :biggrin:
You're imagining it.

They allow a small margin of error for speedos that aren't 100% accurate(I think it's 10%).

Half of them don't work anyway. I went 55 through a 40 by mistake(a schoolboy error since I knew it was there but it was dark :smile:) and didn't get a ticket.
(edited 7 years ago)
Pretty sure there's a threshold up to which you won't get fined, I think for a 30 zone it's 35mph.
Original post by mc-ren
So I was going down a quiet, open road this evening and the speed limit was 30. I am 99% certain my speedometer was on the 32 mark, maybe between 32-33, but as I got close to the camera I swear i saw a small white flash. I'm not 100% confident on this but I'm pretty sure it flashed.

There was also a car behind me which seemed to be fairly close to the back of me

Should I be worried?

Jesus H Christ, what the hell is the point in worrying?

If you got caught then you got caught, there's nothing you can do about it now and you'll find out when you get the letter.
Original post by JamesN88
You're imagining it.

They allow a small margin of error for speedos that aren't 100% accurate(I think it's 10%).

Half of them don't work anyway. I went 55 through a 40 by mistake(a schoolboy error since I knew it was there but it was dark :smile:) and didn't get a ticket.

it's 10-15% as standard as my friend just passed his tests to join the met and that was what they were told
but I mean a few weeks back I was in my merc on the M25 at 125mph and haven't had a ticket or fine turn up
Original post by jamesthehustler
it's 10-15% as standard as my friend just passed his tests to join the met and that was what they were told
but I mean a few weeks back I was in my merc on the M25 at 125mph and haven't had a ticket or fine turn up

I read that councils can't afford keep a lot of them running because they don't make any money. I guess they might catch the odd one with a new camera but after a few days everyone knows it's there.
Original post by mc-ren

Should I be worried?

Original post by rainbow.panda
Pretty sure there's a threshold up to which you won't get fined, I think for a 30 zone it's 35mph.

In a 30 zone, you're not officially speeding until you reach 35. The guideline as set out by the CPS [EDIT - ACPO]*(and publicly available, just google it), is +10% +2. So for a 30 zone, you would be speeding if you did 35. (30 + 10% = 33, +2 = 35).

20 = 24
30 = 35
40 = 46
50 = 57
60 = 68
70 = 79*

Remember, these are the speeds where you're officially counted as speeding. Not what you can go up to. You can do 34.9999 mph and not be officially speeding, but as soon as you hit 35, that's the cut off point.

It was probably just a glint of sunlight. If you're sure you were doing around 34 or under, then you have nothing to worry about. Remember your speedo is likely set to show a speed slightly higher than you're actually doing. *Also bear in mind, that those guidelines are just what's on paper. If you get flashed at 35, you're still unlikely to be prosecuted because it all takes time and paperwork that you can contest with questions like "When was the speed camera last calibrated?" Have all other drivers at my speed also been prosecuted? If not, why are you discriminating against me?" etc etc.

Much easier for them to go for clear cut speeders like those doing 40+ where they know they're going to get a conviction.
(edited 7 years ago)
The type of speed cameras that flash make two powerful flashes - it's pretty unmistakable especially if it's dark.
Original post by XMaramena
In a 30 zone, you're not officially speeding until you reach 35. The guideline as set out by the CPS (and publicly available, just google it), is +10% +2.

Nope... The guideline are set out by the ACPO, not the CPS... Strictly speaking, they're nothing more than recommendations.
Original post by TheMcSame
Nope... The guideline are set out by the ACPO, not the CPS... Strictly speaking, they're nothing more than recommendations.

Yes, my mistake - ACPO, I must have got there via CPS. True, guidelines. I suppose if the judge wanted to be a dick, he could ignore them. But even easier to defend if you're within them.
Reply 17
32mph in a 30mph zone will almost certainly result in absolutely nothing happening.

The only instance where something would happen is if you are followed by a police car doing significantly higher speeds in the same area and they only happened to catch you doing 32mph in a 30mph on camera - but not the higher speeds.

My source - tens of thousands of miles on UK roads sat atop a motorbike. Squeaky clean license and aim to keep it that way.
Move to Wiltshire - there aren't any speed cameras as Wiltshire Council are sensible people. :smile:

32 in a 30 is nothing though and speedos aren't 100% accurate either.
Reply 19
Original post by MeYou2Night
Move to Wiltshire - there aren't any speed cameras as Wiltshire Council are sensible people. :smile:

32 in a 30 is nothing though and speedos aren't 100% accurate either.

They borrow the mobile camera units from Avon & Somerset on the odd ocassion..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending