The Student Room Group

Non-binary at 10 year old

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KingBradly
I seriously doubt anyone wakes up in the morning and decides it's a good idea to be a paedophile. If you think you could do that, it may be a good idea to get some psychiatric care as you may be a paedophile. I personally cannot ever imagine being attracted to a child. I could not choose to be attracted to a child, in the same way I could choose to be attracted to an animal. If you think you could, then I can only assume that you may harbour some paedophilic tendencies yourself. Which isn't a problem, but I'd be sure to keep check on it.

If they knew it wasn't good idea, they wouldn't do it. As much as I want to sometimes steal something that I want from a shop, I don't because it is wrong and illegal.
Perfectly normal at that age
I've been identifying as a giraffe since I was eight
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 22
Why do you care some much about it?

If you don't like it, don't comment on it.
Original post by richpanda
If they knew it wasn't good idea, they wouldn't do it. As much as I want to sometimes steal something that I want from a shop, I don't because it is wrong and illegal.

Well exactly, that's the point I'm making. Many of them do know that it's wrong to abuse kids, and they don't act out on their desires. Those people clearly aren't doing anything wrong, and do not deserve to be vilified.
That kid can identify as any cockamamy made up term as he wants.
I wish I had a fraction of that courage when I was 10. Or now, for that matter.
Original post by L'absurde
EDIT: 10 years old*
I ****ed up the title -____-

Came across this on the BBC website, surprise surprise...

Poor child, kinda feel sorry for him/her.
Which delusion are we going to have to accept next?

(Why can't kids just be kids anymore ffs!)

Thoughts?

Spoiler

Just so long as his parents don't tell him/her that they're an attack helicopter. Wonder how much parents influenced it with research.
And ban them from Tumblr because TL/DR poison.

Original post by richpanda
Paedophilia isn't a mental illness, it's a choice. They deserve to be beaten up by vigilante groups and labelled as paedos. Imagine if it was your daughter/son etc...

By your own logic, being gay or having any "weird" sexual attraction is a choice. Don't be ridiculous.
It is your attitude that is what stops these people getting the help and support they need to stop themselves acting on it, as many do, and what causes more of it to happen.
If they cannot seek help (since most do know it is wrong), they're forced to talk to others who may encourage them to take the wrong approach.
And precisely - imagine if it was your son or daughter who had these urges, but didn't want to act on them but had no help for fear of being ostracized, beaten, even though they cannot help it.
Try educating yourself (try Virped.org).
Reply 27
Original post by Inazuma
Just so long as his parents don't tell him/her that they're an attack helicopter. Wonder how much parents influenced it with research.
And ban them from Tumblr because TL/DR poison.

Tumblr is cancer.

It is your attitude that is what stops these people getting the help and support they need to stop themselves acting on it, as many do, and what causes more of it to happen.
If they cannot seek help (since most do know it is wrong), they're forced to talk to others who may encourage them to take the wrong approach.

People always say that they need help and all that jazz; however, is there any proof that a paedo can be rehabilitated through psychological intervention?
Tumblr is cancer.

People always say that they need help and all that jazz; however, is there any proof that a paedo can be rehabilitated through psychological intervention?

Surely trying to do so is better than the alternative.
Reply 29
Original post by Inexorably
That kid can identify as any cockamamy made up term as he wants.

Of course they can, and they should be able to. Still doesn't mean we can't question the validity of non-binary. Nothing is above scrutiny. This idea of "let people do what they want" sure I agree with that, doesn't mean I can't criticise their choice.

Surely trying to do so is better than the alternative.

I say lock them up; they're ticking time bombs. But if there is data suggesting that they can be treated then I'll go with that option. Even so, I wouldn't want paedophilia to be normalised.
Reply 30
Original post by iHammmy
Why do you care some much about it?

If you don't like it, don't comment on it.

I've got news for you I don't care.

No thanks, I'll exercise my right to free-speech.

Spoiler

Tumblr is cancer.

I bet even the founder regrets making it..

Mixed, the sensitivity of the issue means there's not a great deal of open data.
Virped.org talk about a few of them here and also on their forum including medical intervention. I suppose it highly depends on how these urges affect people, some are probably a lot worse than others and do require more invasive help like suppressive.

I say lock them up; they're ticking time bombs. But if there is data suggesting that they can be treated then I'll go with that option. Even so, I wouldn't want paedophilia to be normalised.

I doubt raping kids will ever be normalised. The fact that we are way more open about sex these days than in the past hasn't normalised rape, so I doubt being more open about paedophilia will normalise child sex abuse. Moreover, most paedophiles are paedophiles because they have been abused as children themselves. I think that kind of psychological damage could be helped by therapy. I don't believe it's a choice, but I doubt it's a biological disposition.
I couldn't help but laugh at that BBC article.

I'm sure his parents had a say in this.

Just like that person (woman) who revealed he/she/they/whatever was "agender"... please.
Reply 34
Original post by Inazuma

Mixed, the sensitivity of the issue means there's not a great deal of open data.
Virped.org talk about a few of them here and also on their forum including medical intervention. I suppose it highly depends on how these urges affect people, some are probably a lot worse than others and do require more invasive help like suppressive.

Ah, but on the website it says...

"We are not aware of any promising methods for eliminating pedophilic attractions and developing sexual interest in adults."

I doubt raping kids will ever be normalised. The fact that we are way more open about sex these days than in the past hasn't normalised rape, so I doubt being more open about paedophilia will normalise child sex abuse. Moreover, most paedophiles are paedophiles because they have been abused as children themselves. I think that kind of psychological damage could be helped by therapy. I don't believe it's a choice, but I doubt it's a biological disposition.

I sure hope so. Being open about sex doesn't encourage rape because you can have sex and not rape people.
(I guess you could argue that one could also be a paedophile and not engage in sexual relations with a child).
Yes, but their attraction to children is kinda fixed...Nothing shows promising. (If you have data that says otherwise then please show me). So this whole "let them seek help" is just wishful thinking.
let the kid live, it's their identity, not yours.
They will when they're diagnosed with a mental disorder and are helped by the NHS :smile:
Reply 37
Original post by Dodgypirate
I couldn't help but laugh at that BBC article.

I'm sure his parents had a say in this.

Just like that person (woman) who revealed he/she/they/whatever was "agender"... please.

How much do you want to bet that they're some middle-class hippies?
Reply 38
Let me catch my 10 year old son/daughter saying their non-binary.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
Original post by lostintrnslation
let the kid live, it's their identity, not yours.

Have I said anything about not letting this kid live their life? I'm not advocating that anything should be done to the kid.

You guys should seriously calm down.

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending