science foundation year opinions? -

has anyone done this course do you like it
is it hard
how have you found it
what did you learn
did it allow you to carry on with the course you wanted to apply
Will it be hard ?
Reply 1
Yeah I also would like to know about this.
After my foundation year I will (hopefully) be studying Forensic Science.
On some posts I have looked at people say that it is harder than A Levels, yet other posts say that it is a lot easier. I got a C for Biology in A-levels, will I struggle with a foundation year?
I've done a science foundation year and and I'm now progressing to my first year of my degree.

Difficulty depends on the uni tbh, all unis structure their course and choose topics differently.

I'd say the content isn't necessarily hard as long as you have done relevant A-levels before you should be fine. I think what's more difficult is that it is demanding and that the timetable is jam packed so you are always working on something, alongside this sometimes the percentage that you need to get to pass to your chosen degree can be high. sometimes it can be 55%, 60% or even 70% etc depending on the difficulty of the course. (there are conditions for each module)

During the maths modules I have encountered some further maths work which I have never done before as I had only done A level maths. However, luckily enough the lecturer was very good in explaining and always put their notes up so I had no difficulties with this.

Also attendance is really important aswell, that can also determine if they allow you to progress to your chosen degree.

If you have never studied A-level maths, or any science (not related to the degree), then yes. It is difficult. However it is possible.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by ❃ Stardust ❃
I've done a science foundation year and and I'm now progressing to my first year of my degree.

Difficulty depends on the uni tbh, all unis structure their course and choose topics differently.

I'd say the content isn't necessarily hard as long as you have done relevant A-levels before you should be fine. I think what's more difficult is that it is demanding and that the timetable is jam packed so you are always working on something, alongside this sometimes the percentage that you need to get to pass to your chosen degree can be high. sometimes it can be 55%, 60% or even 70% etc depending on the difficulty of the course. (there are conditions for each module)

During the maths modules I have encountered some further maths work which I have never done before as I had only done A level maths. However, luckily enough the lecturer was very good in explaining and always put their notes up so I had no difficulties with this.

Also attendance is really important aswell, that can also determine if they allow you to progress to your chosen degree.

If you have never studied A-level maths, or any science (not related to the degree), then yes. It is difficult. However it is possible.

Ah right, I didn't do Chemistry or Maths for A Level so I guess I am going to struggle
Original post by BlakMan
Ah right, I didn't do Chemistry or Maths for A Level so I guess I am going to struggle

Not necessarily, foundation years were made for people who didn't study the relevant topics before hand. When you start your going to have so many different people on different levels, people who have studied those subjects will have a head start, that's all.

All I would say, it depends on you as a person. If your a hardworker and can organise you'd be fine. There are people who didn't study the topics at A level and did fine and people who did that struggled. E.g a girl I know who had never done maths or physics at A level after the foundation year went on to do Physics now. They teach the topic well enough that what A level students learn in 2 years, you learn in one.

So what I would say, start the course first and then you would feel whether you find it difficult or not. I strongly believe that with the foundation year a strong work ethic is more important than anything.
Reply 5
Not necessarily, foundation years were made for people who didn't study the relevant topics before hand. When you start your going to have so many different people on different levels, people who have studied those subjects will have a head start, that's all.

All I would say, it depends on you as a person. If your a hardworker and can organise you'd be fine. There are people who didn't study the topics at A level and did fine and people who did that struggled. E.g a girl I know who had never done maths or physics at A level after the foundation year went on to do Physics now. They teach the topic well enough that what A level students learn in 2 years, you learn in one.

So what I would say, start the course first and then you would feel whether you find it difficult or not. I strongly believe that with the foundation year a strong work ethic is more important than anything.

Thankyou! What would I have to include in my personal statement about my career choice or about why the foundation yr
Reply 6

All I would say, it depends on you as a person. If your a hardworker and can organise you'd be fine. There are people who didn't study the topics at A level and did fine and people who did that struggled. E.g a girl I know who had never done maths or physics at A level after the foundation year went on to do Physics now. They teach the topic well enough that what A levsel students learn in 2 years, you learn in one.

Thanks for the advice :smile:
I luckly have some of my brothers old AS Chemistry books which I'm reading through now, it doesn't seem that much more difficult than AS Biology so far.
Original post by BlakMan
Thanks for the advice :smile:
I luckly have some of my brothers old AS Chemistry books which I'm reading through now, it doesn't seem that much more difficult than AS Biology so far.

Anytime, just work hard you'll be fine. :smile:
Original post by goal101
Thankyou! What would I have to include in my personal statement about my career choice or about why the foundation yr

What do you want to pursue after the foundation year? Are all the uni's your applying to have the science foundation year? If so, you can mention it in your personal statement, however I think it's best to focus on your chosen degree and how it's relevant to your future career choice. You can mention how the foundation year is a stepping stone towards your dream, etc

Also is your foundation year integrated with your degree or separate?
Reply 9
What do you want to pursue after the foundation year? Are all the uni's your applying to have the science foundation year? If so, you can mention it in your personal statement, however I think it's best to focus on your chosen degree and how it's relevant to your future career choice. You can mention how the foundation year is a stepping stone towards your dream, etc

Also is your foundation year integrated with your degree or separate?

I want to go into pharmacy and only some don't do the foundation year
And it's a serperate science foundation degree but you can then apply for pharmacy afterwards and get in through that route
Original post by goal101
I want to go into pharmacy and only some don't do the foundation year
And it's a serperate science foundation degree but you can then apply for pharmacy afterwards and get in through that route

I see, just mention why the foundation year and how it would help you etc aspirations (pharmacy) that should be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest