The Student Room Group

I feel like where i live is stopping me from getting into a good sixth form

So I looked at different sixth forms and i feel like i cant go to a good one because of a stupid postcode criteria, which i think is unfair especially for grammar schools to have a postcode requirement as grammar schools are meant to let people in based on academic ability i believe personally, not where someone lives. I don't think its fair as e.g if a school is in a really good area and someone is from a not so well off background but quite smart and cant afford to live in that area why i ti fair for them to be limited to the schools in the area they live in which might not be good. Even if some of the school i want to apply to are 1 hour/50 minutes away i don't understand why they wont allow me to apply there, as my school i not the closest but i still have 100% punctuality and last year i only missed 5 days off school as i had the flu. Does anyone have the same issue or any advice?
Original post by Anonymous1502
So I looked at different sixth forms and i feel like i cant go to a good one because of a stupid postcode criteria, which i think is unfair especially for grammar schools to have a postcode requirement as grammar schools are meant to let people in based on academic ability i believe personally, not where someone lives. I don't think its fair as e.g if a school is in a really good area and someone is from a not so well off background but quite smart and cant afford to live in that area why i ti fair for them to be limited to the schools in the area they live in which might not be good. Even if some of the school i want to apply to are 1 hour/50 minutes away i don't understand why they wont allow me to apply there, as my school i not the closest but i still have 100% punctuality and last year i only missed 5 days off school as i had the flu. Does anyone have the same issue or any advice?

My advice is just just apply anyway. I now go to a grammar school and coming from a not very well respected school in the area I got in without an issue as they based it on my grades. The people who go to my school that I have just to know often travel for around the same time as you in the morning so don't be put off and apply!
Reply 2
Yeah, it sucks. The grammar school I went to, one of the best in my city, had a catchment area - specific areas where if you live there, you are automatically accepted. These areas were generally more expensive than than areas with other grammar schools. But I know people who have gotten in without having lived in the catchment area. If you are an academic individual, it will be worth applying to your desired school.
Original post by Wordnerd2
My advice is just just apply anyway. I now go to a grammar school and coming from a not very well respected school in the area I got in without an issue as they based it on my grades. The people who go to my school that I have just to know often travel for around the same time as you in the morning so don't be put off and apply!

I wanted to apply to latymer grammar school,but i do not understand if i have to 100% live in that area or if i do not have to but that will put me at a disadvantage of getting into the school and i looked at other schools and they have a postcode requirement as well. So im not sure if i can even apply or if it an automatic no.
Original post by gwagon
Yeah, it sucks. The grammar school I went to, one of the best in my city, had a catchment area - specific areas where if you live there, you are automatically accepted. These areas were generally more expensive than than areas with other grammar schools. But I know people who have gotten in without having lived in the catchment area. If you are an academic individual, it will be worth applying to your desired school.

What grammar school did you go to, if you don't mind asking?Also i looked at some schools and i find it unfair if you live closer to the school someone is more likely to be accepted then me, i think in these cases they should make someone take another test or it should be judged by the interview.
Original post by Wordnerd2

Would you mind telling me what school this is or not. if not i understand its to do with privacy, so its okay.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous1502
I wanted to apply to latymer grammar school,but i do not understand if i have to 100% live in that area or if i do not have to but that will put me at a disadvantage of getting into the school and i looked at other schools and they have a postcode requirement as well. So im not sure if i can even apply or if it an automatic no.

I went to a grammar school in Scotland which used the catchment area as the main determinant for entrance and not any tests. Taking a look at Latymer's website, I think you might need to complete some sort of registration or entrance test to be apply there. So I think if you are academically able, you can make it in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending