The Student Room Group

UKCAT for DENTISTRY 2017 Entry

Hi, guys!
I'm currently in my final year of IB (fighting for survival). I have taken my UKCAT exam in July and did not get an encouraging result ( 600 VR 740 QR 570 AR and Band 2 SJT). I have been keeping an eye on the "big" UKCAT thread, but to be honest those stellar results are quite disheartening and most of the people posting there apply for either medicine and/or graduate entry. Am I still on track for my dentistry application or should I drop it? What did you guys get? Looking forward to your answers.

Scroll to see replies

Apply, you've nothing to lose.
@One-punch Man Your scores look good to me! Hey, I just did my UKCAT yesterday and scored:
Abstract: 620
Quantitative: 770
Verbal: 740
and band two SJT
So I'm pretty thrilled with those results! Where were you thinking of applying to?
Original post by one_punch_man
Hi, guys!
I'm currently in my final year of IB (fighting for survival). I have taken my UKCAT exam in July and did not get an encouraging result ( 600 VR 740 QR 570 AR and Band 2 SJT). I have been keeping an eye on the "big" UKCAT thread, but to be honest those stellar results are quite disheartening and most of the people posting there apply for either medicine and/or graduate entry. Am I still on track for my dentistry application or should I drop it? What did you guys get? Looking forward to your answers.

Hi I got the exact same average as u did 650 however I got Band 3. Do u think that this will put me to much of a disadvantage.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by FavourFlavour
Hi I got the exact same average as u did 650 however I got Band 3. Do u think that this will put me to much of a disadvantage.

Posted from TSR Mobile

To be honest I don't think so. I actually think you're in a better position than me :smile:) Most unis don't look too much at SJT (as far as I know).
Original post by BenedickandI
@One-punch Man Your scores look good to me! Hey, I just did my UKCAT yesterday and scored:
Abstract: 620
Quantitative: 770
Verbal: 740
and band two SJT
So I'm pretty thrilled with those results! Where were you thinking of applying to?

Those scores are great. I wish I were in your shoes haha. To be honest I don't know. I was thinking of the UKCAT-heavies but now... well.. :confused::confused: I am thinking of reorienting towards Plymouth, Liverpool and virtually any uni that does not require too much from my UKCAT. I'm waiting for the UKCAT stats to come out in October and if I'm too far below the average might as well just apply for something else or reapply.
Have you considered Leeds, because they require BMAT, so totally not dependent on UKCAT? I'm also thinking Liverpool and Sheffield. When I spoke to the admissions team at Sheffield, they said they're not too fussed about UKCAT. The lady said that anything over 600 should be fine and your average is definitely above that!
Have you considered Leeds, because they require BMAT, so totally not dependent on UKCAT? I'm also thinking Liverpool and Sheffield. When I spoke to the admissions team at Sheffield, they said they're not too fussed about UKCAT. The lady said that anything over 600 should be fine and your average is definitely above that!

The Sheffield information sure is comforting. To be honest I don't think it's worth prepping for the BMAT just for Leeds.
The Sheffield information sure is comforting. To be honest I don't think it's worth prepping for the BMAT just for Leeds.

Really? I feel like a lot of people think that, which is quite good for those of us bothering with it! Have you decided what your backup option will be?
To be honest I don't think so. I actually think you're in a better position than me :smile:) Most unis don't look too much at SJT (as far as I know).

Thanks I wanted some advice on what unis to apply to my stats are
Gcse:6A*s 4A's 1BAS results:AAAA
A2 predictions: A*AAA
UKCAT: 650 Band 3
I am think of applying to Cardiff, Plymouth, maybe Bhum and Bristol. Sadly my mum really wants me to apply to Barts cuz she wants me to stay in London. Do think I have any chance of getting in???Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am think of applying to Cardiff, Plymouth, maybe Bhum and Bristol. Sadly my mum really wants me to apply to Barts cuz she wants me to stay in London. Do think I have any chance of getting in???Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow, with those GCSEs and predictions, most places are possible! I know how you feel - pressure to stay in London is a nightmare! I want to get out too, so not applying to London Unis! Cardiff are supposed to be quite GCSE heavy - they rank you based on them! Are you carrying on four A level subjects?

Posted from TSR Mobile

As an "outsider" I am trying to get to London. Will apply to either Barts or Kings, hoping that the odds shall be in my favour. As far as I know, Cardiff and Plymouth aren't that UKCAT heavy so you shouldn't have any issues getting in. I heard that weirdly enough QMUL (Barts) puts a lot of emphasis on SJT. To be honest I am not too sure what to believe anymore. Dentistry and MedSchool admission seems far too shady for me to try and understand.
As for what your mother wants... Don't just do something because your parents tell you to. You need to feel like it. Imagine being stuck for 5 years in a place that you can't suffer with your parents constantly nagging you. That ain't uni life :smile:) You need to get out of your "comfort zone", explore. :colone:
Wow, with those GCSEs and predictions, most places are possible! I know how you feel - pressure to stay in London is a nightmare! I want to get out too, so not applying to London Unis! Cardiff are supposed to be quite GCSE heavy - they rank you based on them! Are you carrying on four A level subjects?

I have to, at my school u basically have to have gotten E's all year round to drop a subject.
But enough about me, what are your stats if u don't mind me asking.
As an "outsider" I am trying to get to London. Will apply to either Barts or Kings, hoping that the odds shall be in my favour. As far as I know, Cardiff and Plymouth aren't that UKCAT heavy so you shouldn't have any issues getting in. I heard that weirdly enough QMUL (Barts) puts a lot of emphasis on SJT. To be honest I am not too sure what to believe anymore. Dentistry and MedSchool admission seems far too shady for me to try and understand.
As for what your mother wants... Don't just do something because your parents tell you to. You need to feel like it. Imagine being stuck for 5 years in a place that you can't suffer with your parents constantly nagging you. That ain't uni life :smile:) You need to get out of your "comfort zone", explore. :colone:

Thanks for the advice,I just checked QMUL'S website and it says that interview score are combined with SJT scores and then are ranked.If the points are greater than 51/60 then the applicants get an offer. so now I have to choose another school to apply to.sigh
(edited 7 years ago)
I have to, at my school u basically have to have gotten E's all year round to drop a subject.
But enough about me, what are your stats if u don't mind me asking.

So I got AABB and I'm dropping English, so my predicted grades should be A*AA, which is good enough! GCSEs 5A*s and 6As. And my UKCAT I said above (averaging 710 SJT band 2)! How's your personal statement going?
So I got AABB and I'm dropping English, so my predicted grades should be A*AA, which is good enough! GCSEs 5A*s and 6As. And my UKCAT I said above (averaging 710 SJT band 2)! How's your personal statement going?

I finished it last week but I really need to improve my opening paragraph.It's as boring and basic as I am.:s-smilie::biggrin:

wbu?? how is ur PS going? and where are u applying to?
I finished it last week but I really need to improve my opening paragraph.It's as boring and basic as I am.:s-smilie::biggrin:

I'm so worried about my opening paragraphs and figuring out how to close it! Did you write about any books you'd read? If so, which ones?
I failed my UKCAT!! 613 Band 2, my AS grades are ABBB and my GCSEs are 7 A*s 3As 2Bs, I don't have my A2 predictions yet but I'm guessing A*AA. Where would be good to apply to for dentistry?
wbu?? how is ur PS going? and where are u applying to?

I'm applying to Leeds, Sheffield and probably Bristol and Liverpool or Glasgow

Quick Reply

Latest