The Student Room Group

People that went to not so great universities

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Princepieman
I've just given up mate, same thing happened with coursework not getting sent on time by my Scottish teachers the year before.

It's not worth taking a total of 2 gap years, I just want to get on a degree course and move on with life instead of faffing around with stupid secondary exams and the incompetence of people running them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sad to hear but I hope you enjoy your time and do well at Swansea
From what I've seen of you in the IB forum, I'm sure you could make it into a FO role from any uni since you have all the connections and knowledge
Sorry I don't quite understand what is wrong with Warwick? It's quite good for Maths as well as Computer Science, so what's the issue o.0 ?
Original post by BabyLadDarren
In after Warwick scum trying to defend their uni.

Is there anything actually bad about it?

I'm looking to apply there this year for Physics as I've heard it's got a great reputation in IB and such.
Reply 63
I know of many, many people who have gone to 'elite' universities and 10 years later are earning £20k a year working 9 - 5 in a boring office job.
Original post by orton6
I know of many, many people who have gone to 'elite' universities and 10 years later are earning £20k a year working 9 - 5 in a boring office job.

Yeah I've heard of people like that before

I've also heard of a guy who did maths at kcl (one of the unis commonly destroyed in threads like this for being 'bad' ) working as a trader for a big bank who's earning £50000+ on his first year out of uni.

So the uni really doesn't matter as much as people say it does.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Ladbants
Sad to hear but I hope you enjoy your time and do well at Swansea
From what I've seen of you in the IB forum, I'm sure you could make it into a FO role from any uni since you have all the connections and knowledge

Cheers bud, best of luck to you too. Keep me posted.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 66
Again, everyone has told me I could sue. But I'm not bothering, it's not worth the effort

Was the exam board.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im sure you will be fine at Swansea
Good luck, how are you finding it so far?
Original post by TheRealLifeBane
What on earth made u pick such a username? :s-smilie:

l m a o
Original post by YoFadda
Im sure you will be fine at Swansea
Good luck, how are you finding it so far?

Start next week.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ladbants
Yeah I've heard of people like that before

I've also heard of a guy who did maths at kcl (one of the unis commonly destroyed in threads like this for being 'bad' ) working as a trader for a big bank who's earning £50000+ on his first year out of uni.

So the uni really doesn't matter as much as people say it does.

Kings college isn't a bad University sure they appear to be one of the weaker Russel group Unis but they are still a quality institution with a long standing reputation.
At the end of the day, nobody will really care about universities 5-10 years after graduation. After that, it's experience.

Yes, it may be easier to get better experience at "top" unis, but its not the be all and end all.

I know people who went to unis ranked 30-40 who are in better jobs than people who went to uni at top 10's and 20's, and this is for the same degree subject.

Some people on TSR spends too much time debating "good" unis, when they really should stop being such sheeps.
I went to a college and not university and proud of my achievement and care less what others might think of it :colonhash: Plus, I got into government funded scheme where you had to have a certain score to be able to get in :colonhash: According to gov.uk website, my Bachelor's is equivalent to British Bachelor's 1st :colonhash:

I'm happy that less popular educational institutions exist because you have a better chance at getting in but that doesn't mean that we get it easier than someone who got into top ranked university.

In Lithuania we have universities and colleges (US equivalent) and whilst universities might sound a better choice, there's more competition to get into and not everyone can afford to pay tuition fees since places for government funding are limited. Both groups of students from uni and college comply with same regulations but college students get more advantaged from their studies since they are more practical, i.e. the whole programme is tailored towards what the employers are looking for. Plus, colleges offer lower fees for those of us who don't have rich parents to pay the fees for.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Luke7456
Kings college isn't a bad University sure they appear to be one of the weaker Russel group Unis but they are still a quality institution with a long standing reputation.

No they aren't.

Warwick hate is overboard but Kings isn't.
Original post by Luke7456

KCL is one of the stronger RG universities. I and others only make fun of it, because it's literally a poor man's UCL.
Furthermore, to bring people to speed on why Warwick gets so much hate on TSR - it's because they're commonly compared to Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial and UCL. That makes all the praiseful stakeholders of those universities criticise Warwick; everyone else from universities that they think is better than Warwick jumps in too.

In personal opinion, I think Warwick is definitely in the Top 10, but Top 5 is perhaps too much.
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
KCL is one of the stronger RG universities. I and others only make fun of it, because it's literally a poor man's UCL.

But surely UCL is just a poor man's Oxbridge or Imperial?
Original post by biglad2k16
But surely UCL is just a poor man's Oxbridge or Imperial?

UCL and Imperial's prestige is as narrow as Oxford and Cambridge's. An Imperial student saying UCL is a poor man's Imperial is like an Oxford student saying Cambridge is a poor man's Oxford.

Anyway, it's mostly to do with the fact that they also have a historical rivalry and are both situated in London.
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Furthermore, to bring people to speed on why Warwick gets so much hate on TSR - it's because they're commonly compared to Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial and UCL. That makes all the praiseful stakeholders of those universities criticise Warwick; everyone else from universities that they think is better than Warwick jumps in too.

In personal opinion, I think Warwick is definitely in the Top 10, but Top 5 is perhaps too much.

They normally come 8th on most rankings. They come debatable 3rd for maths. Most sources put Imperial 3rd after Oxford and they put Cambridge first. However the thing is for world wide reputation Imperial are in the top 10 globally whilst Warwick are 51st. So if you want your degree to have International prestige you go to Imperial for maths. If your only fusses about the UK there is not much in it for maths.

Warwick Definitely makes top 5 for maths though.

I for one would be inclined towards Imperial because of political instability and turbulent times may need to move and having a strong recognized degree might help with this. More hope with Imperial. Btw I blame the left wing for the times we are in not the right wing.
Probably a Scottish Uni, where the 2nd year is really equivalent to an English first year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I actually thought you were been silly like digging at Scotland here, but making my list of universities and entry requirements etc I actually find I have come across this quite a bit. This does not give me the best impression of Scottish Universities to be honest. do they have four years instead of 3? in which case it makes little difference still doing the same content in 3years. However if not then this is very worrying, and I question If I would learn the same at a Scottish University. I thought St Andrews and Edinburgh were supposed to be very good for maths.

Clearly not if they only rehash A level stuff in first year.

Quick Reply

Latest