The Student Room Group

GCSE Business or GCSE Computing

Scroll to see replies

Original post by skrtskrtkid
Nonononononono, i didnt mean the subject is chilled, meaning that the people in that class are more beneficial and better than people doing business. And what happens during write ups

ahhh i see, that makes a lot more sense. it was like that in my old class as well, quite a lot of banter too :biggrin:
and during writeups, you... write up your work, lol. before you even start the program you have to analyse what the task is asking and explain how you'll meet all the requirements. then during development you need to show how you're creating a solution and identity errors and the like. it's very tedious, i think one of my tasks came to around 8k words? (you have to do three tasks on ocr)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by surina16
Computing is easy if you're logical, like problem-solving, maths etc.

Have no experience with Business though.

What year u in ?xD
My advice as a year 12 student who has done the computing GCSE and is taking computing at college, would be to take computing. You said earlier that you have built your own computer, that's really great knowledge to have when taking the theory exam in computing as part of the exam is being given a scenario and suggesting what they should improve their computer with. already having some practical knowledge can be really helpful. However in order to succeed in computing GCSE you need answer these questions:

1) Do you like maths?
-Computing often includes maths calculations of binary numbers, it may not be very complicated maths at GCSE but make sure that you are willing to do this.

2) Do you like programming?
- Both of your computing coursework will be doing programming and most of your lessons throughout the course will be sat at a computer programming. You have to be prepared that you will get errors and that it can be extremely frustrating and time consuming. You must make sure that your are patient with the programming any enjoy it on some level as soon you will be completing complicated programs and problems to solve.

3)Can you keep up with the work?
-The computing coursework is one of the most time consuming and most interesting for GCSE. The mistake a made was that I struggled to keep up with the coursework and meekly missed out on an A* in my final grade. Make sure you keep up to date on the coursework as it will take up most of the course.

To conclude computer is one of the most rewarding GCSE subjects and can take you many places later in life. If you really want to own your own business and are certain that is what you want to do then take business but if you want employable skills for later in life I would definitely recommend computing.

Feel free to ask me any questions on the GCSE as I finished it last year with an A.
I loved studying computing! I think if you're interesting in computers, learning to program is a very useful skill that is easily built upon.
First post, but on Monday my school enables subject changes for the week. (year 10) I'm deciding to drop French and want to take GCSE Business or GCSE Computing instead. How was your experience in both subject or which one would be better?

I never did any of them but i am teaching myself python, that aspect of computing is fun but you will need to learn flowcharts (which in my opinion, it isnt fun)
To add to that, business is supposed to be very easy, but it all depends on your choice of career.
Original post by mayu123
What year u in ?xD

I did both Computing and Business last year and the year before (GCSE obviously)

I love Business, so I picked that and I loved it, I thought that it was easy but there again - that's just because I love business and find it interesting just like other people find other subjects interesting.

I picked Computing too because I liked it but I didn't really do well in it, probably because I was tired and had headaches for a lot of the time. It's interesting but the coursework was a hassle, might be different next year though, I don't know.

It seems there are mixed opinions on this thread about what you should do, what I say is:

Think about what you love, what you're interested in and pick it because I don't think there is a real answer to whether one is better than the other, it's just that we all have a different perspective on things based on our opinions. Depends what you want to do when you get older and the path you want to go down whether that be college, university, job, apprenticeship and the path you want to go down.

I know my comment was a bit useless but.. but... idk :smile: :/ :P
Original post by surina16

aww im in year 10 x
Original post by BluIceCube
I did both Computing and Business last year and the year before (GCSE obviously)

I love Business, so I picked that and I loved it, I thought that it was easy but there again - that's just because I love business and find it interesting just like other people find other subjects interesting.

I picked Computing too because I liked it but I didn't really do well in it, probably because I was tired and had headaches for a lot of the time. It's interesting but the coursework was a hassle, might be different next year though, I don't know.

It seems there are mixed opinions on this thread about what you should do, what I say is:

Think about what you love, what you're interested in and pick it because I don't think there is a real answer to whether one is better than the other, it's just that we all have a different perspective on things based on our opinions. Depends what you want to do when you get older and the path you want to go down whether that be college, university, job, apprenticeship and the path you want to go down.

I know my comment was a bit useless but.. but... idk :smile: :/ :P

How did you find Business Studies in GCSE im doing it did you the coursework of the business ?? you got any notes on the computer or something xD
I regret picking business.
Hate every bit of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reason... Because the coursework CAB has been changed from previous years, so now its much harder and requires a lot more hard work and persistence than Business.
Reply 31
I'm taking both and enjoy both.

Computer Science requires much more work and background knowledge, but it's arguably more beneficial.

Business studies a pretty easy and popular subject (hence why it's 'chav central' in your school :biggrin:) and most of it is general knowledge, so it's an easy high mark.

If you want to know more about each subject, just reply to this or PM me :biggrin:
Read this if you have the chance, it's my story about taking Computing at GCSE if it helps you in any way.

Computing in my case, I chose because my brother did it and It seemed like an interesting subject, I didn't really have the best interest in it, but it sounded good. The first lesson I realised I knew nothing about the coding/programming, I didn't even know what Python was let alone the theory, whilst there was a lot of kids that seemed like they knew everything about it from day 1. So every Python task we done I wouldn't know what to do so I copied other people's codes that worked. In the theory I just copied everything on the board into my book not knowing what it meant.

Anyway, I hung around with the wrong people in lessons for the first year and I was achieving a grade E/D in past paper tests we done in lessons. So my teacher split the group I was in - there was 4 of us - around the class so we wouldn't mess around. The teachers we had were fine and taught good, but I never took it seriously. (We had a teacher for the theory and a teacher for the programming). Near the end of the first year we started the first Python coursework task and I didn't even know what coursework was back then (seriously) I thought we were just writing code and talking about it so the teacher could see what we understood or not. I had to copy the smart kids that were sat next me because I didn't have a clue.

So when we went into the second year I was predicted a D/C grade while kids in the class were predicted A/A*. I was predicted one of the lowest in the class. My brother was in the year above and he achieved an A in his Computing GCSE, so my teachers would compare me to him, and end up thinking that I'm not going to achieve anywhere near as well as him. I was off school one day and decided to write a program on Python, it was a game where the computer would think of a number and the user has to guess it. I went really in depth and realised that with Python, it's super simple! What you write is all English and is logical. For example....

If *somethting* equals *something* do *something*
(Not written properly in Python, but you get the point, you literally tell the computer what to do)

Then onwards I understood Python a lot easier. Some time onward we started the second programming task and it was a breeze however there was a task for the Python protect which for a GCSE student was impossible, you had to do something which even the teachers didn't know how to do, so I was hopeless, but the teachers told us that if you can attempt it and write about how you couldn't finish the task because you didn't have the skills you could still get the same marks.

Anyway, half way through the second and final year my brother built a PC and i had didn't know anything about it, how it worked, what the parts were or anything, I actually helped him build it. The night we finished the PC It sparked an interest in me and I did so much research about computers and wanted to build one myself, from then onwards I searched for hours each night about computers and it really interested me. I went into lessons and understood stuff so much better, then I found out the coursework made up for a certain % of the final GCSE grade (was 60% coursework and 40% exam I think... can't remember) I ended up staying in school an extra 2 hours each night just doing the coursework because it really interested me and I found it easy, even though some tasks were hard to do, even attempting it and if you could explain about it you could get full marks.

I handed in my coursework and it was about 40 pages more than everyone else and the teachers were confused. I ended up getting such a high mark that I was the highest in the class. I still did more work as my plan was to get high marks in the coursework so that If I failed the exam I could still come out with a C.

Anyway the night before the exam I thought I was screwed as I knew none of the theory, I had this 50 page PowerPoint and went over it and refreshed my memory, that was the only revising I done for computing. Took me 2 hours and I went into the exam thinking I would only get a B at the most. But there was 2 pages in the exam which were about computers, there was a six marker about some guys computer and what would you upgrade to make it better, I knew it all and guaranteed myself marks. So I left the exam thinking I was guaranteed a B. Results day came around and I got an A* overall. 2 A* (88/100) (89/100) in the courseworks and an A in the exam (100/120).
My teacher was so happy for me and I achieved the highest grade in the class. And this is coming from someone who had little interest in computing and was predicted to not even pass. Put in the effort and it is the most interesting subject you will ever take.

EDIT: I'm now in year 12 studying computing and it's fun, more complex than GCSE but more interesting.

Most people say they hate the computing coursework but I found it so satisfying when you identify errors, fix them and you have a good working program, from there all you really had to do was screenshot your code and add a bit of text explaining what you did to find the errors and what you did to fix it and then show it running.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by marwick7
My advice as a year 12 student who has done the computing GCSE and is taking computing at college, would be to take computing. You said earlier that you have built your own computer, that's really great knowledge to have when taking the theory exam in computing as part of the exam is being given a scenario and suggesting what they should improve their computer with. already having some practical knowledge can be really helpful. However in order to succeed in computing GCSE you need answer these questions:

1) Do you like maths?
-Computing often includes maths calculations of binary numbers, it may not be very complicated maths at GCSE but make sure that you are willing to do this.

2) Do you like programming?
- Both of your computing coursework will be doing programming and most of your lessons throughout the course will be sat at a computer programming. You have to be prepared that you will get errors and that it can be extremely frustrating and time consuming. You must make sure that your are patient with the programming any enjoy it on some level as soon you will be completing complicated programs and problems to solve.

3)Can you keep up with the work?
-The computing coursework is one of the most time consuming and most interesting for GCSE. The mistake a made was that I struggled to keep up with the coursework and meekly missed out on an A* in my final grade. Make sure you keep up to date on the coursework as it will take up most of the course.

To conclude computer is one of the most rewarding GCSE subjects and can take you many places later in life. If you really want to own your own business and are certain that is what you want to do then take business but if you want employable skills for later in life I would definitely recommend computing.

Feel free to ask me any questions on the GCSE as I finished it last year with an A.

I take it you did the exam this year? As I remember the 6 mark question about the guys Computer and what you would upgrade to make it better/faster.

Did you do the coursework where task 3 was to display the class results in a certain order? If so, did anyone in your class actually get that working? Because only 1 or 2 people did in ours but it was near impossible. The teachers couldn't even do it.
GCSE business if you're interested in finding out the steps taken into setting up a business eg
Market research
Qualities of an entrepreneur
The business cycle
And so many other interesting topics
And you also have coursework to do that I think is easier than GCSE computing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jackymang12345
100% choose business, trust me!!!

i did business studies how you find it??
Original post by Naomeyz_01
GCSE business if you're interested in finding out the steps taken into setting up a business eg
Market research
Qualities of an entrepreneur
The business cycle
And so many other interesting topics
And you also have coursework to do that I think is easier than GCSE computing

Posted from TSR Mobile

have you got any of your coursework for business studies i can see Please xD
First post, but on Monday my school enables subject changes for the week. (year 10) I'm deciding to drop French and want to take GCSE Business or GCSE Computing instead. How was your experience in both subject or which one would be better?

I did my GCSE's last year and personally I really hated computing and found it very hard; whereas I loved business and really enjoyed it! But I guess it depends on what you prefer personally, and what you think you can get better grade in...

Also, if you're doing OCR computing, the coursework is an absolute killer:redface:
Original post by jackymang12345
100% choose business, trust me!!!

I agree:smile:
Original post by TheNotoriousOG
I take it you did the exam this year? As I remember the 6 mark question about the guys Computer and what you would upgrade to make it better/faster.

Did you do the coursework where task 3 was to display the class results in a certain order? If so, did anyone in your class actually get that working? Because only 1 or 2 people did in ours but it was near impossible. The teachers couldn't even do it.

Yes I did the exam last year and in all honesty I could not even remember the six mark question. On the coursework I did manage to complete task 3 as did the majority of the class I only struggled in completing the write up of task 3.

Quick Reply

Latest