The Student Room Group

How many offers did you get?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kkboyk
5 offers for Maths with BBB predictions, but applied to unis requiring AAB/A*AB.

I made sure to research each uni and applied to my strengths.

Really? which unis did you apply for what offer did they make? this is big news to me because basically anyone that is not some crap hole people never heard of ask for ABB+.

do they make lower offers? are your offers AAB etc or are they BBB?

good ones likes Bristol Warwick etc? Bath etc or not?
Reply 21
back eons ago (well, not really, about to start second year uni)
4 offers, rejected post-interview and Winter pooling by Cambridge for Maths
predicted A*A*A*A*A (one of the A*s in Welsh Bacc, which I discontinued, despite doing the largest parts of it, other subjects in signature, A was for Lit)
Other unis I applied to were Warwick, where I am, Bristol, Bath and Exeter. Discounted Exeter pretty fast when the offers were in, would have preferred Bath for insurance but Bristol offer was really easy so I put them down. Bristol took a lot longer than other unis to give an offer; Bath and Warwick responded really fast, Exeter somewhere in between, if I recall correctly.
Also at AS, i.e. in year 12, I achieved AAAA in Maths, Physics, History and English Lit. UMS was 96%, 88%, 88% and 93% respectively.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by mediocrecraig
15% of all applicants received an offer in 2015.

32%
http://university.which.co.uk/imperial-college-london-i50/chemical-engineering-4-years-9000-h801

You are probably thinking of Acceptances.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
I haven't applied yet but I've got the offer from the university in writing
ABB - 5 offers
Original post by OGFakiie
I got AAA In my AS. Does anyone think I'll have a chance at imperial for Chem Eng. with predictions of A*AA, even though they require A*A*A?

Two of my friends applied, one with AAAA and one with AAAB at AS, but the AAAB got an offer, they both had the same predicted but i'm sure there is so much competition it is going to be difficult
Reply 27
Original post by mediocrecraig
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/percentage_of_applicants_getting

15% of interviewees in 2014-2015. I suppose Which is using figures from 2015-2016.

Maybe some are offered without interview...

They have a 12% acceptance rate, and many Imperial offer holders will be also firming/accepted by Oxbridge. So a 15% total offer rate sounds v low.

(Spoilering a huge screenshot!)

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Maybe some are offered without interview...

They have a 12% acceptance rate, and many Imperial offer holders will be also firming/accepted by Oxbridge. So a 15% total offer rate sounds v low.

(Spoilering a huge screenshot!)

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile

What does the "O/S" column mean?
Reserved
Original post by kingLAWZA
ABB - 5 offers

oh damn, what for?
cant believe we are already going to uni. never thought this moment would ever come.
Reply 31
Original post by DarkEnergy
What does the "O/S" column mean?

Overseas (i.e. International), as opposed to Home/EU.
Original post by jneill
Overseas (i.e. International), as opposed to Home/EU.

Ah right, thanks
Reply 33
Original post by Luke7456
Really? which unis did you apply for what offer did they make? this is big news to me because basically anyone that is not some crap hole people never heard of ask for ABB+.

do they make lower offers? are your offers AAB etc or are they BBB?

good ones likes Bristol Warwick etc? Bath etc or not?

It was mainly Cardiff (AAB/A*BB/A*AC), Leicester (AAA for MMath) and Newcastle(AAB or A*AB) that required these grades. The rest offered me ABB due to taking Further Maths.

Didn't apply to Bristol or Warwick, although a few of my classmates got contextual offers AAB instead of A*AA for Bristol.
My predicted grades were A*AB.
- I got 4 offers, all conditional.
- Two were AAB or ABB if I got over a B in EPQ (Sheffield and Newcastle)
- One (Nottingham, my firm where I'm going now) was just AAB.
- The other (Hull) was C in bio and chem, and 280 UMS (changed to unconditional if firmed a while after).
- Rejected by York (took ages to reply, missed out on the accommodation I wanted because of it, I wasn't impressed), but it was also my 'aspirational' choice as entry was AAA.

I actually got one grade below, but still got into Nottingham :smile:.
In terms of the people from my year a few got rejected for....

- Cambridge rejection post interview for physics with AS grades of AAAB and predicted grades A*AA
- Imperial rejection for physics post interview with AS grades of AAAB and high predicted grades also
- oxford rejection from someone who wanted to do law with AS grades of ABBC and straight A/A*'s at gcse
- rejection from all 4 dental schools with AS grades of BBBC and low UKCAT
-reaction from law from UEA- again poor AS grades
- rejection from Greenwich for primary education post interview

So what we can infer from this is you're most likely to get rejected if

Your AS grades are low and you're applying to Oxbridge or a very popular course e.g law, medicine
You're applying for a popular course and your interview doesn't go too well despite you having the desired predicted grades and strong AS for the course
4 offers

AAAB at AS, predicted AAA (maths SHOULD have been an A* prediction but my school wouldn't allow my teacher to!).

Applied to chemistry (with year abroad/with Spanish/study in continental Europe courses).

Offers from Manchester, Nottingham, Bristol and Imperial. Rejected for NatSci from Cambridge (no interview, and I was in the bottom 20% of applicants).

Got A*AA (* in chem) and am heading off to Imperial for Chemistry with Spanish for Science.
Original post by kkboyk
It was mainly Cardiff (AAB/A*BB/A*AC), Leicester (AAA for MMath) and Newcastle(AAB or A*AB) that required these grades. The rest offered me ABB due to taking Further Maths.

Didn't apply to Bristol or Warwick, although a few of my classmates got contextual offers AAB instead of A*AA for Bristol.

hmm okay I guess I am not going to get any BBB offers I just am going to have to pull an A grade of in maths if I want to do this degree. I hope to get A*A*A* whether that is realistic or not. Just A grades can be hard to get and would feel a lot more comfortable knowing I could get into somewhere half decent with BBB. Maybe through clearing, but I guess if I want to be sure of a place on a decent course I need to get AAA+ just going to have to work really hard.
Reply 38
Original post by Luke7456
hmm okay I guess I am not going to get any BBB offers I just am going to have to pull an A grade of in maths if I want to do this degree. I hope to get A*A*A* whether that is realistic or not. Just A grades can be hard to get and would feel a lot more comfortable knowing I could get into somewhere half decent with BBB. Maybe through clearing, but I guess if I want to be sure of a place on a decent course I need to get AAA+ just going to have to work really hard.

What uni are you planning on applying to? Many unis lower their grades during clearing (cardiff, liverpool and sheffield lowered their offers for Maths to ABB, then on the final week of august to BBB).
Reply 39
why can't you do a 3 year course in physics at oxford? only the 4 year masters.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending