The Student Room Group

Need to decide by tommorrow if I want to take my hijab off

Basically, I've been wearing the hijab since primary school. I'm 19 now and I'm going to enrol for uni tommorrow. This summer I've been comtemplating taking the hijab off. I'm not a particulary devout muslim and I just feel like the hijab is a barrier. At work there are no other hijabis and I just feel out of place at times. A lot of the times people make assumptions about me based on the hijab when I usually believe in the complete opposite.

My mums fine with me taking it off but I'm really scared. I'm going to be commuting from home to uni. I live in a tight knit muslim community and I went to school with most of them (majority of them will also be attending the same uni as me)..A lot of them are brutal when it comes to things like this.. I pretty much know that they're going to stare and brand me a **** and I'm just not ready for that. Also ngl the men here are creepy perves. My sister who doesn't wear a scarf gets wolf whistled, stared at and on a couple of occassions has been followed. Right now wearing the scarf is protecting me from all that crap.

My sisters say I should take it off. They say that in the long term its more of a hinderance. Personally, I'm in two minds. Part of me wants to take it off but another part wants to just keep it on because life is easier that way. A friend of mine said to me that my argument to keep it on never once mentioned religion so clearly I'm not wearing it for god so I should take it off but idk what to do guys. I still haven't uploaded a uni photo for my enrolment tommorrow because I don't know if should upload one with or without my scarf :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I agree with what your friend says, if it were me I would take it off.
Off! Off! Off! Off!
Original post by Anonymous
Basically, I've been wearing the hijab since primary school. I'm 19 now and I'm going to enrol for uni tommorrow. This summer I've been comtemplating taking the hijab off. I'm not a particulary devout muslim and I just feel like the hijab is a barrier. At work there are no other hijabis and I just feel out of place at times. A lot of the times people make assumptions about me based on the hijab when I usually believe in the complete opposite.

My mums fine with me taking it off but I'm really scared. I'm going to be commuting from home to uni. I live in a tight knit muslim community and I went to school with most of them (majority of them will also be attending the same uni as me)..A lot of them are brutal when it comes to things like this.. I pretty much know that they're going to stare and brand me a **** and I'm just not ready for that. Also ngl the men here are creepy perves. My sister who doesn't wear a scarf gets wolf whistled, stared at and on a couple of occassions has been followed. Right now wearing the scarf is protecting me from all that crap.

My sisters say I should take it off. They say that in the long term its more of a hinderance. Personally, I'm in two minds. Part of me wants to take it off but another part wants to just keep it on because life is easier that way. A friend of mine said to me that my argument to keep it on never once mentioned religion so clearly I'm not wearing it for god so I should take it off but idk what to do guys. I still haven't uploaded a uni photo for my enrolment tommorrow because I don't know if should upload one with or without my scarf :frown:

Just do what makes you most comfortable. (assuming that is to take it off)
just take it off , who cares what others think
Reply 5
Original post by ed98
I agree with what your friend says, if it were me I would take it off.

I'm so so so scared tho. People are 100% going to stare and talk about me behind my back :frown:
Do what you believe is best :h:
Goodluck :wink:
I'm so so so scared tho. People are 100% going to stare and talk about me behind my back :frown:

Y'know what i find funny? A lot of the people that are gonna talk about you are not perfect muslims themselves. If they were so devote and religious. They shouldnt be looking at you and talking about you.
x

Don't just do it because of what people say though, if you feel comfortable wearing it or more protected then keep it.

the sooner you get used to it, the better
Take it off.

If people are going to judge you for it, either that's against their high and mighty religious code (you can wear a hijab, but it doesn't make you a better person, or a better Muslim, than someone who doesn't... You still gotta be nice) or they're just simple idiots nd you don't need that kind of negativity.

Also, don't be afraid of pervs. They exist. If you were going to be attacked they'd attack you whatever you were wearing. Just stay safe, don't go to dodgy areas if you don't have to and you'll be OK.
Do whatever you feel comfortable with, If you go a day not wearing it and you feel uncomfortable like that you can always just wear it again the next day.
You should keep it on. One way shaytan uses to make people do more unislamic things is by making them think that they shouldn't follow X islam ruling if their intention is not all religious. Wearing a hijab with bad reasoning is better than wearing no hijab at all because atleast the former is still following an islamic ruling. I don't know if you'll get full reward for it because your intention is something else but you may one day feel more religious and then you'll feel more comfortable with wearing a hijab so taking the hijab off won't help getting to that stage any easier.

You say you feel left out or the odd one out and I understand that. But that actually shouldn't matter. It's not a bad thing to be different and you shouldn't feel down because of that. Don't change yourself because of people because people don't matter. You should aim to please Allah, not them. This is easier said than done ofcourse, so I understand your difficulty.

Those men shouldn't be harassing any woman regardless of dress.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 13
Take it off if you want to.
Don't take it off if you don't want to. It's as simple as that
If you want to wear it you should wear it

You know you want to take it off. You are 19' an adult. Others may talk and gossip, but that will soon blow over.
Also, there may be other girls who want to take theirs off but don't have the courage to do so. It's your life, your future, no-one else's. Do what you want, life is too short to please other people. X
It depends on how you feel about it, do you agree with all the reasons islam asks women to wear the hijab? If so, then yes you should keep it on.

On the other hand, if you only wear it to make life easier and you see it as a hindrance then take it off if you wish. It is totally up to you.

Regardless, if your not proud or happy, or comfortable wearing it then what is the real point? You should feel your happiest in yourself.
Reply 17

People will always talk behind your back for whatever reason.

Really, it doesn't matter what other people think, it's your business. It's YOUR choice if you want to wear it or not. It seems to me like you'd be better off not wearing it as it's only intended for religious purposes only, and as you mentioned, you don't feel a devout muslim yourself. Making the transition may be hard but it will get easier after.
Allah is still watching you devout or not, when you wore the hijab you wore it as a promise to God It also acted as saftey as you said, nobody followed you around.

Theres no reason for you to feel out of place. I work at a pharmacy in a white area and I get treated pretty well, customers compliment me and the people I work with are amazing.

Also you want advice from TSR people, if you havent noticed quite a few are quick to attack islam and muslims, so kinda reckless to ask advice from here. but since you are, im going to tag some people who may be more useful than othere

@HAnwar @fatima1998

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending