The Student Room Group

Need to decide by tommorrow if I want to take my hijab off

Scroll to see replies

Take it off.

There's no such thing as a "Muslim community". It's ridiculous to even suggest something like that. This is the United Kingdom. Its laws apply here and its laws allow you to wear whatever you want within legal constraints. If any of these religious lunatics start to bother you, call the police and see how they act then. Abandon this medieval set of beliefs which turn you into a commodity and a second-class citizen. You are so, so much more. You clearly stated that it's even a barrier between you and other people, because, as you've personally said, creates a false illusion of you which doesn't paint the accurate picture of you. Your value, your integrity, your character is not, I repeat NOT defined by whether or not you're wearing a piece of fabric over your head. You are a clever, strong, independent young woman living in a liberal, progressive Western society and you have the right to wear whatever you want and not be judged because of it.

I encourage you to be yourself, to enjoy life and to. quite literally, let your hair down. You'll be much happier, much more content with your life and more in tune with the exciting, fresh new start that universities tend to provide.
As a fellow Hijabi, I know a few people who have decided to take their hijab off and tbh they're still the same people - they haven't changed (bar a few who started partying et.c). And I just want to say that these "supposed pious Muslims" who talk rubbish behind your back are far from perfect. For real, I think there's a small part of you that doesn't want to take it off so maybe you should ask yourself - who are you really trying to impress - yourself or other people. I know it can be hard but there are loads of people I've seen that tried to fit in by taking it off but eventually realised it's dumb to care about what other people think and put it back on. I hope you make the best decision - put don't make life long decisions on temporary feelings - you may change your mind later. Just do you - whatever you do make sure your doing it for the right reasons.
If Muslims judge you for that, then are they really worth bothering about? They are probably going to judge you regardless.

Do what you want to do.
This is an entirely personal decision and you are the only one that can make that decision, because you are the only person that entirely knows all the circumstances and the impact that each one has on your life, happiness, and beliefs.

I would upload an picture to your uni however you feel most comfortable. However, I would make sure you DO upload one because you may have to wait in long queues to get a photo taken on the day if you don't do it in advance!

Whatever you decide, it doesn't have to be permanent. If you make a decision and later change your mind the uni will be able to change your ID card etc fairly easily although you may have to pay a small charge.
Original post by IdeasForLife
You should keep it on. One way shaytan uses to make people do more unislamic things is by making them think that they shouldn't follow X islam ruling if their intention is not all religious. Wearing a hijab with bad reasoning is better than wearing no hijab at all because atleast the former is still following an islamic ruling. I don't know if you'll get full reward for it because your intention is something else but you may one day feel more religious and then you'll feel more comfortable with wearing a hijab so taking the hijab off won't help getting to that stage any easier.

You say you feel left out or the odd one out and I understand that. But that actually shouldn't matter. It's not a bad thing to be different and you shouldn't feel down because of that. Don't change yourself because of people because people don't matter. You should aim to please Allah, not them. This is easier said than done ofcourse, so I understand your difficulty.

Those men shouldn't be harassing any woman regardless of dress.

I've read the quran multiple times and my interpretation is that the hijab isn't compulsory- modesty is. Also the fact that I wear skinny jeans, do my eyebrows and wear makeup on a daily basis kinda defeats the whole purpose of the hijab?
Original post by Anonymous
Allah is still watching you devout or not, when you wore the hijab you wore it as a promise to God It also acted as saftey as you said, nobody followed you around.

Theres no reason for you to feel out of place. I work at a pharmacy in a white area and I get treated pretty well, customers compliment me and the people I work with are amazing.

Also you want advice from TSR people, if you havent noticed quite a few are quick to attack islam and muslims, so kinda reckless to ask advice from here. but since you are, im going to tag some people who may be more useful than othere

@HAnwar @fatima1998

OMGG you think i am good at giving my advice :shock:
well i am not the best :lol: but my advice would be...
that hijab isn't the barrier :redface: i have seen some girls in my town wear hijabs and also abaya everyday, in school, when she goes to the beach - she wears it even when it was super hot :yep: (i personally don't like her for personal reasons, but thats not important). there are some doctors who wear Hijab, they have been wearing Hijab since primary school but they weren't scared of anyone because if you do what people want you to do then you'll not be successful in your life. What if people at your work wear skirts, would you mimic them as well? i don't wear Hijab not because i am scared of people's judgement but mainly because i will not be able to commit to it and maybe just give up the next day:indiff:
if you want to not wear hijab anymore than it's your choice but don't take it off because you are the only one who is wearing a hijab at your work or uni or wherever.
TD;LR - do whatever you want but your reasons for not wearing a Hijab aren't really powerful... Do what is safe for you :h:
Basically, I've been wearing the hijab since primary school. I'm 19 now and I'm going to enrol for uni tommorrow. This summer I've been comtemplating taking the hijab off. I'm not a particulary devout muslim and I just feel like the hijab is a barrier. At work there are no other hijabis and I just feel out of place at times. A lot of the times people make assumptions about me based on the hijab when I usually believe in the complete opposite.

My mums fine with me taking it off but I'm really scared. I'm going to be commuting from home to uni. I live in a tight knit muslim community and I went to school with most of them (majority of them will also be attending the same uni as me)..A lot of them are brutal when it comes to things like this.. I pretty much know that they're going to stare and brand me a **** and I'm just not ready for that. Also ngl the men here are creepy perves. My sister who doesn't wear a scarf gets wolf whistled, stared at and on a couple of occassions has been followed. Right now wearing the scarf is protecting me from all that crap.

My sisters say I should take it off. They say that in the long term its more of a hinderance. Personally, I'm in two minds. Part of me wants to take it off but another part wants to just keep it on because life is easier that way. A friend of mine said to me that my argument to keep it on never once mentioned religion so clearly I'm not wearing it for god so I should take it off but idk what to do guys. I still haven't uploaded a uni photo for my enrolment tommorrow because I don't know if should upload one with or without my scarf :frown:
So take it off. If you don't, you'll feel like you can't take it off for even longer - and then it'll feel like too much of a Big Thing, and it's more likely to be noticed as such.

JFDI and use it as a chance to make your new start as an adult, as most people your age want to do.

As for people calling you a **** - let them. You know better, and what isn't true isn't a valid insult.
Allah is still watching you devout or not, when you wore the hijab you wore it as a promise to God It also acted as saftey as you said, nobody followed you around.

Theres no reason for you to feel out of place. I work at a pharmacy in a white area and I get treated pretty well, customers compliment me and the people I work with are amazing.

Also you want advice from TSR people, if you havent noticed quite a few are quick to attack islam and muslims, so kinda reckless to ask advice from here. but since you are, im going to tag some people who may be more useful than othere

@HAnwar @fatima1998

I wore the hijab at 9 years old so I hardly understood the importance of wearing one and tbh with you, as terrible as this sounds none of my reasonings for keeping it on involves religion. The only reason I'm wearing it is because it stops me from receiving unwanted attention (even tho I still get stared at/catcalled) and because I'm in a habit of wearing it (so I feel 'naked' without it on)
I'm so so so scared tho. People are 100% going to stare and talk about me behind my back :frown:

Isn't it haram to tell another Muslim what's their doing is wrong? (I heard that somewhere)
If you don't want to wear it, take it off. You will get idiots (both at your uni/on here) saying that because you chose to take off the hijab, you're doomed in finding a decent husband and will rot in hell. At the end of the day you're hurting nobody by taking it off and its your problem, not anyone else's.
make a poll

@HAnwar @fatima1998

I'm curious, why are you anon? If you really felt proud of wearing a hijab you wouldn't be on anon.

Sadly for OP, she feels out of place with the hijab. Have you not processed that? You're one of the lucky ones who goes through it without any problems or whatever.

OP can make other promises to God. Why not make one she's comfortable with?
Do what you feel comfortable with. It's your decision. Things to do with religion are so controversial, but it should be your choice, not a choice to please others.
It sounds like you want to take it off and that's what I'd recommend. I don't think it's a good idea to keep it on just because some creeps may perve because by that logic you'll wear it all your life even if you don't want to because there will always be creepy people.

Likewise, you shouldn't fear what those judgemental Muslims think of you, it actually says more about them if they think you're a slut just because you're showing your hair.
(edited 7 years ago)
Basically, I've been wearing the hijab since primary school. I'm 19 now and I'm going to enrol for uni tommorrow. This summer I've been comtemplating taking the hijab off. I'm not a particulary devout muslim and I just feel like the hijab is a barrier. At work there are no other hijabis and I just feel out of place at times. A lot of the times people make assumptions about me based on the hijab when I usually believe in the complete opposite.

My mums fine with me taking it off but I'm really scared. I'm going to be commuting from home to uni. I live in a tight knit muslim community and I went to school with most of them (majority of them will also be attending the same uni as me)..A lot of them are brutal when it comes to things like this.. I pretty much know that they're going to stare and brand me a **** and I'm just not ready for that. Also ngl the men here are creepy perves. My sister who doesn't wear a scarf gets wolf whistled, stared at and on a couple of occassions has been followed. Right now wearing the scarf is protecting me from all that crap.

My sisters say I should take it off. They say that in the long term its more of a hinderance. Personally, I'm in two minds. Part of me wants to take it off but another part wants to just keep it on because life is easier that way. A friend of mine said to me that my argument to keep it on never once mentioned religion so clearly I'm not wearing it for god so I should take it off but idk what to do guys. I still haven't uploaded a uni photo for my enrolment tommorrow because I don't know if should upload one with or without my scarf :frown:

Keep it on. Just remember why you're wearing the hijab in the first place - because of your love for Islam and Allah. You may feel like it's not worth it now, but ultimately Allah is the ultimate judge and you shouldn't care about what others think. In the future, you may regret deciding to take it off because it'll definitely be harder to wear the hijab again.
I've read the quran multiple times and my interpretation is that the hijab isn't compulsory- modesty is. Also the fact that I wear skinny jeans, do my eyebrows and wear makeup on a daily basis kinda defeats the whole purpose of the hijab?

I disagree with your interpretation, I used to agree with it at one time but I learned it wasn't right. I don't want to get into arguing whether it's compulsory or not so I'll just say this once; the vast majority of scholars throughout history (like 99%) have viewed hijab to be compulsory at the minimum, you should take their understanding over your own lay understanding because they've spent their lives studying Islam and have seen ample proof from Islamic sources to come to this conclusion. I'm not dissing you or anything but many times young lay people like me and you may think our own self derived interpretation is correct when we are actually mistaken. Also I'm not saying mindlessly accept their ruling, ask them for proof from Qur'an and hadith if you want and they won't dissappoint etc...

It does but it's best if you stay at your current level islamic dresswise rather than going reverse and taking the hijab off too. I'd advise not doing those other things aswell. All Muslims have room for improvement so please don't think I'm just highlighting on you because it's not the case.
(edited 7 years ago)
If not wearing a hijab makes you happier, go for it girl. You do you, people are gonna make comments whether you wear a hijab or not.
Original post by meridian0
almost everything is haram except ...

No.
Original post by Turquoise01
Keep it on. Just remember why you're wearing the hijab in the first place - because of your love for Islam and Allah. You may feel like it's not worth it now, but ultimately Allah is the ultimate judge and you shouldn't care about what others think. In the future, you may regret deciding to take it off because it'll definitely be harder to wear the hijab again.

She has just said a few posts above that she doesn't wear the hijab for religious reasons.
Original post by EastGuava
make a poll

How do I make a poll?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending