The Student Room Group

Books to mention in medicine personal statement

Hi
I'm applying for medicine this year, and I was wondering if there are any books to read regarding medicine (to show some wider reading on personal statement)?

Also, just to clarify, I will read those books, I'm not just going to blindly put them on my personal statement so dw.
Anything other than The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat pls because the book was a bit terrifying tbh...
Reply 1
Original post by d010534
Hi
I'm applying for medicine this year, and I was wondering if there are any books to read regarding medicine (to show some wider reading on personal statement)?

Also, just to clarify, I will read those books, I'm not just going to blindly put them on my personal statement so dw.
Anything other than The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat pls because the book was a bit terrifying tbh...

I wouldn't to be honest - putting a book in doesn't really show much and it's better to use the words for discussing your work experience or extra curriculars or soft skills. You're reading the book now and putting it in, but the personal statement might not be read until March when you're interviewed. If you're asked a question about the book in March next year - would you be able to remember it in enough detail to make an impressive response?
I've put bad science by Ben goldacre on mine, plus a few others
Original post by Beska
I wouldn't to be honest - putting a book in doesn't really show much and it's better to use the words for discussing your work experience or extra curriculars or soft skills. You're reading the book now and putting it in, but the personal statement might not be read until March when you're interviewed. If you're asked a question about the book in March next year - would you be able to remember it in enough detail to make an impressive response?

I disagree, saying you have read something shows you have tried to advance beyond the curriculum and for medicine that is very impressive. It also shows you are truly committed to learning medicine and you have interesting things to discuss at interview if you've mentioned them. If you read the books now you can make notes on key concepts you might want to say at interview , so you don't forget. I think this would be better than not reading at all...
Reply 4
Original post by Uni12345678
I've put bad science by Ben goldacre on mine, plus a few others

Others like?? Care to elaborate? :h:
Reply 5
Original post by Beska

HELP I HAVE LITERALLY NO EXTRA-CURRICULARS (I might start karate tho)

As for remembering key ideas, I would re-read it again before the interview (that is, if I even get an interview :colondollar:)
I read Do No Harm by Henry Marsh, it was really useful for getting an insight into
the medical profession and so I found it easy to write about what I learnt. Also
many universities suggest reading tomorrows doctors but that isn't really a book.
Anything you read in a book is going to be at least a few years out of date before you even start

I'd have thought listening to 'inside medicine' http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b019dl1b/episodes/downloads
In particular I note they've had a couple of recent episodes titled 'Why become a doctor?' - I listen to it in the car and I wonder if anyone of the aspiring medics on TSR is listening in.

but TBH that's really just a guess - I've no interest in ever learning medicine myself :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending