The Student Room Group

Element compound or Mixture

Hi Im doing btec level 2 applied science and I have been given an assignment on chemistry. I'm stuck on how to do draw decision tree on how to decide whether a substance is an element, compound or mixture. If anyone could help me out please do. Thanks
Original post by usmanghani332
Hi Im doing btec level 2 applied science and I have been given an assignment on chemistry. I'm stuck on how to do draw decision tree on how to decide whether a substance is an element, compound or mixture. If anyone could help me out please do. Thanks

Think about what decision trees look like, then look at the definitions of an element / compound / mixture (it may help to look at examples of them too) and then think about how you can differentiate between the 3 things and then make it a tree. :borat:
Original post by SeanFM
Think about what decision trees look like, then look at the definitions of an element / compound / mixture (it may help to look at examples of them too) and then think about how you can differentiate between the 3 things and then make it a tree. :borat:

Thanks and the thing I'm struggling on how to differentiate between the 3 things, on google I have seen decision tree on 2 things not 3
Thanks and the thing I'm struggling on how to differentiate between the 3 things, on google I have seen decision tree on 2 things not 3

Well, what are the definitions of those 3 things, and what (in the defitinitions) can you think of that would differentiate the three things? eg what is the difference between an element and a compound?

And you've seen one with 2 things, you just need to decide on the right question for the first one which leads to, for example, it being an element OR the other two, and then a similar one with two things that differentiates the other two.

It may look a bit like this.

Original post by SeanFM
Well, what are the definitions of those 3 things, and what (in the defitinitions) can you think of that would differentiate the three things? eg what is the difference between an element and a compound?

And you've seen one with 2 things, you just need to decide on the right question for the first one which leads to, for example, it being an element OR the other two, and then a similar one with two things that differentiates the other two.

It may look a bit like this.

Hi Thanks for all your advice and can you please help me out with the first question to get me started. I would really appreciate it.
Hi Thanks for all your advice and can you please help me out with the first question to get me started. I would really appreciate it.

Okay... reply back to me with the 3 definitions - element, compound and mixture and try to explain the differences between each one. :h:
Original post by SeanFM
Okay... reply back to me with the 3 definitions - element, compound and mixture and try to explain the differences between each one. :h:

An element is a simple substance which is made from one type of atom and cannot be broken down into component physically or chemically. Whereas mixture is made from two or more substances which are not chemically joined together and are chemically different. A compound is a substance which is formed when two or more elements react with each other to form chemical bonds between their atoms.
An element is a simple substance which is made from one type of atom and cannot be broken down into component physically or chemically. Whereas mixture is made from two or more substances which are not chemically joined together and are chemically different. A compound is a substance which is formed when two or more elements react with each other to form chemical bonds between their atoms.

Okay, so out of the 3, can you see 2 that are more similar to eachother and how you can 'filter out' one in the first part of your decision tree?

(Hint: it is in the order that you have written it, so you can first differentiatie between (an element) AND (a mixture OR a compoud) by looking at the differences between an element and then both a mixture and a compoud. The way to do this is in your definitions that you've written)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SeanFM
Okay, so out of the 3, can you see 2 that are more similar to eachother and how you can 'filter out' one in the first part of your decision tree?

(Hint: it is in the order that you have written it, so you can first differentiatie between (an element) AND (a mixture OR a compoud) by looking at the differences between an element and then both a mixture and a compoud. The way to do this is in your definitions that you've written)

Hows is this for the first question? "Is the substance made up from one type of atom" which then splits element from the mixture and compound.
Hows is this for the first question? "Is the substance made up from one type of atom" which then splits element from the mixture and compound.

Exactly :smile:
Original post by SeanFM

Thank you for all your help, didn't think anyone was going to reply on this post. :smile:
Original post by SeanFM

Hey sorry for disturbing again, does this look fine ? https://gyazo.com/4b10e02c6f6ed290504ca5365184f861
Hey sorry for disturbing again, does this look fine ? https://gyazo.com/4b10e02c6f6ed290504ca5365184f861

You need to swap the first yes and no and then you should be fine.
Original post by SeanFM
You need to swap the first yes and no and then you should be fine.

Why is that?
Why is that?

Sorry, you are right :tongue: I read the first bit as 'more than one atom' - they are the right way round. Well done, you got there :borat:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending