The Student Room Group

The officially unofficial IOT 49 thread

I'll be on IOT 49 with a familiarisation visit in October. I realise it's still early days for people to know, but who else will be on 49? Perhaps we can move this to a closed facebook group eventually.
Please keep all replies free of information that could be used to identify you, read the security notice stickied at the top of the Military board before posting.
Just to get an idea of timescales; when was your OASC, and when does IOT start?

For some reason I thought 49 would be in Jan, and that I'd have a chance of getting on it.
Reply 2
IOT 49 is in Jan, my OASC was very early August, but I failed the fitness and had to be invited back in Very early september to resit the selection fitness test. I bumped into a guy off my OASC course who was on his fam visit when I went as he was on IOT 48 which is in October. IOT 49 has probably only just opened up.
Well mine is soon, so there's still hope.

I was told that you get issued ALL of your initial kit on your fam visit, not just your boots. It seems a bit impractical, unless all those that arrived by train get to store it at Cranwell somewhere...
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by ABM Hopeful
Well mine is soon, so there's still hope.

I was told that you get issued ALL of your initial kit on your fam visit, not just your boots. It seems a bit impractical, unless all those that arrived by train get to store it at Cranwell somewhere...

Pretty sure you get issued boots (Choice of either Haix or Alt-berg according to the IOT kit list) and measured up for everything else. It does say to bring a bigger bag than you need to get there so you have room though.
Getting boots to break in before the course makes sense, as does being measured so that bundles of kit can be organised.
Taking it all away with you to the far corners of the UK, to only bring it back in a few weeks makes less sense, so hopefully that is not what they mean.
We will just have to see.
Reply 6
Hi just wondering what role you have applied for if you could share that
Reply 7
Of course you are not issued all your kit. You get number 2 shoes and your boots. Remember at this point some people still might not even make it to IOT due to failed clearances.
Reply 8
Original post by abdul20
Hi just wondering what role you have applied for if you could share that

I'm down as a Pilot currently, pending clearances as above.
Reply 9
Original post by Hertz32
I'm down as a Pilot currently, pending clearances as above.

Thanks for the reply. Any tips for the interview and the fitness tests?
Reply 10
Not much that isn't already mentioned elsewhere on the site. Mke sure you practise the fitness as a block, not just doing push ups and situps and the run in isolation. It goes run, push ups, situps. make sure you can pass all three without more than about a minutes break between the three.

by interview I think you mean OASC? There are plenty threads dedicated to that here.
Reply 11
Original post by Hertz32
Not much that isn't already mentioned elsewhere on the site. Mke sure you practise the fitness as a block, not just doing push ups and situps and the run in isolation. It goes run, push ups, situps. make sure you can pass all three without more than about a minutes break between the three.

by interview I think you mean OASC? There are plenty threads dedicated to that here.

No I mean the first interview you get when applying the selection interview.

Also how long has your whole application process taken for you?

Quick Reply

Latest