The Student Room Group

Year 13 Maths Help Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by B_9710
Find y' and y'' and then just plug it into the equation and compare coefficients.

Thank you, it's the same as the other questions, just worded a little different.
IMG_2726.JPGPart iii
Original post by Coolsul98
Part iii

What have you tried?
Reply 683
For y=(1)xy=(-1)^x, do we write f:RZf:\mathbb{R} \rightarrow \mathbb{Z} for the domain and codomain?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Palette
For y=(1)xy=(-1)^x, do we write f:RZf:\mathbb{R} \rightarrow \mathbb{Z} for the domain and codomain?

That's not a function if you choose that domain.
Reply 685
Original post by Zacken
That's not a function if you choose that domain.

And of course, taking x=12x=\frac{1}{2} means that y=(1)12y=(-1)^{\frac{1}{2}} isn't even a real number let alone an integer... another careless question on my part...

Would f:ZZf:\mathbb{Z} \rightarrow \mathbb{Z} make it a function?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Palette
Would f:ZZf:\mathbb{Z} \rightarrow \mathbb{Z} make it a function?

Yeah.
Original post by k.russell
lol np, I am glad (and surprised) I could help out :smile: I am guessing you are studying some M units, how many have you done so far?

Part way through M2 and I will be doing M3 as well, was originally going to do M3,4 and 5 but I'd rather focus on M3 and the rest of the further modules (FP1,2,3 M2,3 D1 and S2 I'll be doing)

What about you?
Original post by metrize
Part way through M2 and I will be doing M3 as well, was originally going to do M3,4 and 5 but I'd rather focus on M3 and the rest of the further modules (FP1,2,3 M2,3 D1 and S2 I'll be doing)

What about you?

I did M1 in my first year and got 70 ums (impressive, ik), I decided to stick with mechanics and try M2 and did a bit better, but still pretty bad lol (80 ums). I was actually really disappointing with M2 because it was like my lowest A2 exam by quite a way in any subject. I also thought that I had only got one problem wrong from the model answers, so I think I possibly lost marks for working out??
That would be my biggest tip for mechanics, make sure your diagrams are very clear - as like most of the M2 marks are for the set up of the initial equations and the diagrams are part of that.
I never really got on particularly well with mechanics in all honesty. It took me a while to learn and it doesn't go that well with my other subjects and is unlikely to be useful to me in the future! But I'm glad I did the little bit I did
Hey, I want to see what someone else gets because im confused as to why my answer is wrong.

By what percentage is the heaviest girl heavier than the lightest girl (to the nearest whole number)?
if the heaviest = 143 lb and the lightest = 111lb.
What answer did you get?

I got 22 %

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by medhelp
Hey, I want to see what someone else gets because im confused as to why my answer is wrong.

By what percentage is the heaviest girl heavier than the lightest girl (to the nearest whole number)?
if the heaviest = 143 lb and the lightest = 111lb.
What answer did you get?

I got 22 %

Spoiler

(143-111)/111 * 100 because it's asking heavier than the lightest girl, so your starting reference is the lightest girl. Hence why you divide by 111.
I did M1 in my first year and got 70 ums (impressive, ik), I decided to stick with mechanics and try M2 and did a bit better, but still pretty bad lol (80 ums). I was actually really disappointing with M2 because it was like my lowest A2 exam by quite a way in any subject. I also thought that I had only got one problem wrong from the model answers, so I think I possibly lost marks for working out??
That would be my biggest tip for mechanics, make sure your diagrams are very clear - as like most of the M2 marks are for the set up of the initial equations and the diagrams are part of that.
I never really got on particularly well with mechanics in all honesty. It took me a while to learn and it doesn't go that well with my other subjects and is unlikely to be useful to me in the future! But I'm glad I did the little bit I did

Ah I see, yeah mechanics is pretty tricky, diagrams really do help. I got 85 UMS in M1 that I did, even though I thought it would be close to 100 but grade boundaries were pretty high this year compared to usual so oh well :P
IMG_0377[1].jpg
can someone help me with this complex numbers problem? it's under the subtopic of polar notation.
The main bit I don't really understand is that AB^2 = 39. For me, as A & B both contain i, AB^2 should have i^3 in it so can't = 36. I don't understand it lol
@Zacken maybe?
(edited 7 years ago)

can someone help me with this complex numbers problem? it's under the subtopic of polar notation.
The main bit I don't really understand is that AB^2 = 39. For me, as A & B both contain i, AB^2 should have i^3 in it so can't = 36. I don't understand it lol
@Zacken maybe?

I think the question is just using excessively bad notation and means that the distance between A and B^2 is 39. Not the complex numbers A multiplied by B^2 is 39.
IMG_0377[1].jpg
@Zacken maybe?

it means the modulus is sqrt39
Original post by Zacken
I think the question is just using excessively bad notation and means that the distance between A and B^2 is 39. Not the complex numbers A multiplied by B^2 is 39.

rigghtt.. that does make more sense I'll have another crack at it and report back, I think you're right though - that's unbelievably badly posed though thanks for your help
Original post by ValerieKR
it means the modulus is sqrt39

yes that does make sense, although I feel like it should have brackets or one of the vector arrows!!!
yes that does make sense, although I feel like it should have brackets or one of the vector arrows!!!

it annoys me too
Original post by ValerieKR
it annoys me too

thanks for your help @Zacken as well. next step is to remember the cosine rule, which I feel I genuinely haven't used in 2 years lol
thanks for your help @Zacken as well. next step is to remember the cosine rule, which I feel I genuinely haven't used in 2 years lol

I think that should be on your exam board formula booklet?

Quick Reply

Latest