The Student Room Group

Scared!

I'm starting uni tomorrow (well it's an induction but whatevs) and I'm so scared!

I don't know the city very well and between each session there's like an hours gap and I'll have no idea where to go or what to do,

I don't know anyone who's going and there's like 20 different campus buildings and some of the sessions are held in different buildings

I know I'm probably overreacting, like when it's over I'll probably wonder why I was so anxious, I guess I just really want someone to metaphorically hold my hand through it haha
Reply 1
You're going to get your head shoved down the toilet and given a swirlie :mmm:
Don't worry as much, there a lot of other people in the same boat as you. Take this as a new experience and enjoy it, it only comes once.

During your induction talk with people nearby you and get to know them, you can spend the gap timings with them.
Original post by Davalla
You're going to get your head shoved down the toilet and given a swirlie :mmm:

Lmao for all I know that could happen!!!
Original post by ❃ Stardust ❃
Don't worry as much, there a lot of other people in the same boat as you. Take this as a new experience and enjoy it, it only comes once.

During your induction talk with people nearby you and get to know them, you can spend the gap timings with them.

I guess it's just nerves but I feel like I have a tough time making friends, especially when there's already people in groups who know each other
Original post by TheFailingNerd
I'm starting uni tomorrow (well it's an induction but whatevs) and I'm so scared!

I don't know the city very well and between each session there's like an hours gap and I'll have no idea where to go or what to do,

I don't know anyone who's going and there's like 20 different campus buildings and some of the sessions are held in different buildings

I know I'm probably overreacting, like when it's over I'll probably wonder why I was so anxious, I guess I just really want someone to metaphorically hold my hand through it haha

Being scared or nervous about a challenge is a good thing. It should be embraced. The opposite would be a life of mediocrity and an endless slumber.
Original post by skeptical_john
Being scared or nervous about a challenge is a good thing. It should be embraced. The opposite would be a life of mediocrity and an endless slumber.

Tbh I prefer the mediocrity haha

I like the feeling of familiarity over newness ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Pretty much 99% of the other students on your course and uni also won't know anyone there or know what to do in between sessions, as unlike high school and college the vast majority of people don't list where their friends are going as a reason to go to specific universities .And many also won't know the city well or at all. So as cliche as saying this is, everyone is in the same boat. And that is why the first week or so is the easiest to speak to new people and make friends. Because everyone is desperate to make friends and is scared of not knowing anyone.

Just don't do what I did and chicken out of it and not go into induction sessions it really hindered my ability to make friends and made everything worse for me...though granted at the time I was suffering very badly with anxiety.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TheFailingNerd

Hello :smile:,

The way you are feeling is completely natural and common across the majority of students so don't worry, you aren't alone in this feeling.

When you get chance, spend some time exploring the city and getting to know where you need to go and knowing the layout of it. It'll take time but it's a learning curve you'll adjust too. You'll make friends and find people who are feeling the same as you and it'll all just mix together!

You aren't overreacting - it's common, like i've said. Just embrace the following couple of weeks and see it as a learning curve and before you know it, you'll be settled and fine.

Good luck :biggrin:
Just a few tips in the hours off you could go explore the city with your course mates go to the student bar and get drunk (this happend on my induction day) there is no shame in calling your goles if you feel homesick or nervous or anything you could always go back to your halls at one point me and my mates used our free time to play Quake 3 area on the uni computers and the uni network ( thank god for the game development course right)

So there's a few ideas for you to do*
Original post by New- Emperor
Just a few tips in the hours off you could go explore the city with your course mates go to the student bar and get drunk (this happend on my induction day) there is no shame in calling your goles if you feel homesick or nervous or anything you could always go back to your halls at one point me and my mates used our free time to play Quake 3 area on the uni computers and the uni network ( thank god for the game development course right)

So there's a few ideas for you to do*

I mean, I'm staying at home so the halls thing is off

I'm a muslim lmao, I don't drink

Everyone already had friends and I'm socially awkward so the exploring with course mates didn't happen

I kinda just stayed in the library and watched youtube vids tbh
Original post by JustGeorgeJ
Hello :smile:,

The way you are feeling is completely natural and common across the majority of students so don't worry, you aren't alone in this feeling.

When you get chance, spend some time exploring the city and getting to know where you need to go and knowing the layout of it. It'll take time but it's a learning curve you'll adjust too. You'll make friends and find people who are feeling the same as you and it'll all just mix together!

You aren't overreacting - it's common, like i've said. Just embrace the following couple of weeks and see it as a learning curve and before you know it, you'll be settled and fine.

Good luck :biggrin:

Tbh I hated it, but thanks so much for the reassuring words!

They really helped me calm down when my brain was everywhere this morning
Original post by SophieSmall
Pretty much 99% of the other students on your course and uni also won't know anyone there or know what to do in between sessions, as unlike high school and college the vast majority of people don't list where their friends are going as a reason to go to specific universities .And many also won't know the city well or at all. So as cliche as saying this is, everyone is in the same boat. And that is why the first week or so is the easiest to speak to new people and make friends. Because everyone is desperate to make friends and is scared of not knowing anyone.

Just don't do what I did and chicken out of it and not go into induction sessions it really hindered my ability to make friends and made everything worse for me...though granted at the time I was suffering very badly with anxiety.

Somehow there were already huge groups of friends or people already knew each other,

there was like only me and like a few other people who didn't know anyone at all

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending