The Student Room Group

4 A levels better than 3?

I am taking Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Spanish at A level, all of which I got A*s in at GCSE level. My teachers are encouraging me to drop down to 3 as I will be applying for Cambridge to do Natural Science so I don't necessarily need the Spanish. Despite this Spanish is my favourite subject of the lot, what should I do? Do unis prefer 4 A levels?
They will only give you an offer of 3 so theres no point doing 4. Its better to achieve brill grades in 3 than average in 4
Original post by Pudd29
I am taking Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Spanish at A level, all of which I got A*s in at GCSE level. My teachers are encouraging me to drop down to 3 as I will be applying for Cambridge to do Natural Science so I don't necessarily need the Spanish. Despite this Spanish is my favourite subject of the lot, what should I do? Do unis prefer 4 A levels?

I would definitely recommend taking 4 especially if the 4th is one you enjoy. Even though it is not an entry requirement, if you're capable of doing 4 you should do 4. If you really struggling you can always drop Spanish next year.
If you do 4, a lot more effort is required to get top grades as you are focusing on one more subject. If you think you can put in the extra time and effort especially because it's a language, go for it. If not, there are always places online where you can learn Spanish :smile:. Or maybe do your 1st year with all 4 and if you think it's too much, drop one

Quick Reply

Latest