The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Where did I say about banning Islam? I never did. I said the niqab was a security risk.

Must suck when you have nothing to say and have to put words in others' mouths.

the niqab is not a security threat just like western clothing is not a security threat. majority of women who wear the niqab are not extremists, nor do they share the ideology of isis.
Original post by Anonymous9753
the niqab is not a security threat just like western clothing is not a security threat. majority of women who wear the niqab are not extremists, nor do they share the ideology of isis.

Stating opinions not facts bubs :wink:
Stating opinions not facts bubs :wink:

yes everyone knows all women who wear niqab are extremists just waiting to bomb you right! It is simply a fact that the majority of women who wear the religious clothes are not extremists, because very little muslims actually support isis. Banning Islamic clothing will in effect turn youth more towards isis.
yes everyone knows all women who wear niqab are extremists just waiting to bomb you right! It is simply a fact that the majority of women who wear the religious clothes are not extremists, because very little muslims actually support isis. Banning Islamic clothing will in effect turn youth more towards isis.

Have you looked at stats of what some Muslims support? Do some research. I remember I saw a couple of polls, added them up and it added to 112 million. Which is bigger than UK's population.
Have you looked at stats of what some Muslims support? Do some research. I remember I saw a couple of polls, added them up and it added to 112 million. Which is bigger than UK's population.

You cant find out the support rates by adding them up like that. -_-
And what polls? evidence? hopefully not ones that have al
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/no-one-in-five-muslims-do-not-support-isis-a6745206.html
ready been denounced.
(edited 7 years ago)

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2015/11/17/in-nations-with-significant-muslim-populations-much-disdain-for-isis/

Yes, that is very worrying: significant numbers in all those countries have views that are favourable to ISIS.
Original post by Good bloke
Yes, that is very worrying: significant numbers in all those countries have views that are favourable to ISIS.

add other Muslim countries the percentage is actually very small. and the Muslims who hold 'favourable' views actually do so more political rather then religious causes.
http://bridge.georgetown.edu/do-42-million-muslims-really-support-isis/
(edited 7 years ago)

From exactly the same research project they discovered the following:

Original post by KingBradly
From exactly the same research project they discovered the following:

http://www.pewforum.org/2013/04/30/the-worlds-muslims-religion-politics-society-overview/ - the actual source
Pretty shocking isn't it?

I'm guessing you haven't actually read the actual source from pew I sent, not that giant meme.
Reply 312
Original post by Angry Bird
when did I say killing a moth is unacceptable lmao? you must be talking about someone else mate
I was indeed. So many quotes to reply to.
You were the one who assumed I was vegan because I asked the other poster why lepidopticide was bad, but slitting the throat of a fully conscious lamb is to be celebrated.

I take it from your expression of mirth that you consider either moth killing to be fine, or cutting the throat of a fully conscious lamb to be bad.
Pretty shocking isn't it?

Moreover, Muslims are not equally comfortable with all aspects of sharia: While most favor using religious law in family and property disputes, fewer support the application of severe punishments such as whippings or cutting off hands in criminal cases. The survey also shows that Muslims differ widely in how they interpret certain aspects of sharia, including whether divorce and family planning are morally acceptable.

Muslims around the world strongly reject violence in the name of Islam. Asked specifically about suicide bombing, clear majorities in most countries say such acts are rarely or never justified as a means of defending Islam from its enemies.

http://www.pewforum.org/2013/04/30/the-worlds-muslims-religion-politics-society-overview/
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 314
Original post by Angry Bird
halal is still stunned prior to killing. I don't think that was his point at all otherwise he would have said so before. He clearly lost at his own game @QE2
About 85%of UK halal is stunned, but in many countries, none of it is. And the point wasn't about halal, but a comparative judgement. If you read my original post you would have seen that I also included amputation and flogging.
I have seen a man wear the burka as a joke, and it is obvious to people who can see that the person is a male due to the eyes, and body shape. No terrorist will draw attention to their self by wearing a niqab or burka before detonating a bomb etc.

There's a magical thing called makeup.

I don't disagree with CCTV, you are just like the narrow minded right who put words in others mouths. And why are you so against civil liberties? Because you dislike anyone but the white majority having some?
That is a ridiculous argument, the niqab or burka is not a knife, not a weapon. It is simply a piece of clothing.

It's a piece of clothing that covers the identity of the wearer.

I don't have anything against hijabs because I'm used to that kind of thing since elderly women usually wear something similar in my country but I don't feel comfortable around someone who's only eyes are visible. To be honest, nobody should ever hide their face.
I'm guessing you haven't actually read the actual source from pew I sent, not that giant meme.

Yes I did. I'm guessing you haven't though, unless you think it's ok that 93% of Muslims in South East Asia think that women should obey their husbands, or that only 40% of Muslims in sub-saharan Africa and only 53% in the Middle-East believe that women should have the right to choose whether they wear the veil.

PS: that isn't a meme, it's a graphic visualisation of the data which can be found there. The actual full report can be found here: http://www.pewforum.org/files/2013/04/worlds-muslims-religion-politics-society-full-report.pdf
Original post by ForgetMe
There's a magical thing called makeup.

terrorists wont draw attention to themselves when detonating a bomb
It's a piece of clothing that covers the identity of the wearer.
its worn by a very tiny minority, and they are obliged to take it off when identity must be shown.
I don't have anything against hijabs because I'm used to that kind of thing since elderly women usually wear something similar in my country but I don't feel comfortable around someone who's only eyes are visible. To be honest, nobody should ever hide their face.

if someone wishes to they can. your identity doesn't have to be displayed 24/7. if it intimidates you that's your fault, if you find it oppressive that's your view. but don't ban or dictate women over what they should or should not wear.
Reply 318
Original post by Tresspasser
Well let me rephrase myself, have you ever worn anything with a religious significance in the form of a face covering? plainly a Niqab. Masks,helmets etc do not count.
Why do some things "not count"? Why is my absolute and heartfelt, spirit-uplifting passion for riding motorbikes not relevant, but a quasi-religious cultural tradition is?

The Niqab is optional.
You really show no understanding or knowledge of Islam when it comes to a personal relationship with Allah;
When Allah decreed the creation, he wrote in his book with him on his throne: My mercy prevails over my wrath.”Source: Ṣaḥīḥ al-Bukhārī3022, Ṣaḥīḥ Muslim 2751
So if it is optional, why all the fuss when people are asked to remove it in certain situations?
And surely you are aware that some madhabs regard it as compulsory?

You're kidding! It's like suggesting we ban knives because SOME people misuse it because by doing so many more harmless people are sanctioned than those who are deserving of punishment.

The knife for instance is fairly innocent until its applied incorrectly, You can feed someone by preparing a meal with the use of a knife or you can hurt someone with it. The ratio of people who use the knife to commit a crime and those who use it for beneficial purposes isn't clear to see because we only know of the incidences when the knife has been misapplied and never otherwise. Same goes for the Niqab, when people choose to misinterpret and exploit it, than that is the only time its given any precedence.
You seem to have misunderstood. My point was in reply to your claim that it is wrong for people to focus on a bad minority rather than on a good majority.

Also, knives are banned in certain situations, exactly because a minority misuse them. Please think through your responses. I might save me the time of having to read a load of irrelevant nonsense.
Thanks.

Prescription drugs are credit worthy when they are put to use correctly, you for instance and many other people could read the instructions and be very responsible as to how you consume the drugs. Others however could overdose and harm themselves with the same prescription of drugs. Tell me are the drugs a symbol of danger? etc etc.
Likewise, the improper possession and use of prescription drugs is controlled. An analogy is not always an illustration of an argument, it can also be an illustration of the inability to form one.

The Niqab is and should always be a symbol of personal discipline and choice irrelevant of how wrongfully it may be applied.
A knife should always be a symbol of bushcraft, irrelevant of how wrongly it may be applied. So you think that it should be acceptable to carry large, hunting-type knives in public?

A weak mind is one that forms a staunch opinion or idea of something based on other peoples interpretation of something. Symbols are most usually interpretations.
So you never defer to the opinions of scholars? You always rely on your own interpretation of the Quran?

Which strict 'sharia adherent Islamic' societies do you speak of? Dont humor me with Saudi Arabia or which ever middle eastern country you have to showcase. I suggest you study the principles of Shariah from reputable Muslim scholars before you adhere to any foreign, majority Muslim populated country's idea of what it is. And whatever they have to do with the governing of their country has very little to do with Islam and its teachings. Do 'Christian' countries truly govern by the laws of the Bible?
And finally, the "No True Muslim" argument.
How refreshing!
Reply 319
Original post by HanSoloLuck
I thought it was otherwise, can you provide evidence for this ?
Depends on the country. UK is about 85% stunned.