The Student Room Group

Could i get into Oxbridge with....

GCSE: 8A*'s 2A 1B
AS: 4A's (maths, physics, chemistry, geography-dropped)
Also about to do an EPQ.
Predictions:A*A*A/A*AA

I want to do something maths or physics related, maybe even economics (haven't studied it before and not a fan of essays though lol). Are the economics courses more essay based or mathematical???

PS. The only further maths I've done is in yr11 which is just basically parts of c1 and c2 with a very brief introduction in matrices. I regret not doing it for A-level now, but I wasn't sure what to study at university (still am xD) so thought i should keep my options open doing a greater variety of subjects. oh well.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Your grades are good for Oxbridge, but remember they also consider other parts of the application - personal statement, references, admissions test and interview performance.

I think the more important issue is the fact you don't know what you want to do. Don't choose economics on a whim because it sounds like a fancy degree, because if you're truly not passionate then you'll have no chance. I suggest you stay with physics or maths, if that's what you really like.

I advice you apply when you find out what you want! You have the grades for it, but do you have the passion? Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by DJon
Your grades are good for Oxbridge, but remember they also consider other parts of the application - personal statement, references, admissions test and interview performance.

I think the more important issue is the fact you don't know what you want to do. Don't choose economics on a whim because it sounds like a fancy degree, because if you're truly not passionate then you'll have no chance. I suggest you stay with physics or maths, if that's what you really like.

I advice you apply when you find out what you want! You have the grades for it, but do you have the passion? Good luck!

appreciate the response,
My reasoning for economics is because i was thinking of going into banking and the requirements are a grade lower for oxford than in maths (A*AA instead of A*A*A, yet I've also seen A*AA n maths for candidates without further maths, like me which doesn't make much sense, surely you would need better grades if you didn't take further maths; I know other unis do that). But it all comes down to what the course enters; if it was predominantly maths based i would like to do it, if not I'd probably not.
Reply 3
Original post by patrick_horro
appreciate the response,
My reasoning for economics is because i was thinking of going into banking and the requirements are a grade lower for oxford than in maths (A*AA instead of A*A*A, yet I've also seen A*AA n maths for candidates without further maths, like me which doesn't make much sense, surely you would need better grades if you didn't take further maths; I know other unis do that). But it all comes down to what the course enters; if it was predominantly maths based i would like to do it, if not I'd probably not.

Admittedly I don't really know much about the economics course at Oxford, so perhaps you can find out the modules online or by contacting someone from the economics department there?

You still have to ask yourself whether you'd truly like to study economics, not that I'm doubting you do, but you shouldn't also decide which course to choose based on lower entry requirements (you're predicted A*A*A anyway, right?)

It's a tough decision but you'll need to make it soon - less than a month left!
Reply 4
yeah I'm predicted A*A*A but with the new linear courses, its pretty much how you do on the day. Do you reckon i would be accepted to do maths even though I don't take further

If you do well enough in the other aspects of your application (entrance exam, interview, etc.) then I'd say yes. Although, to be 100% certain you'll be considered, email the admissions officer at your desired college and they'll give you a definite answer. Good luck with it, whichever route you take!
Reply 5
Also about to do an EPQ.

I want to do something maths or physics related, maybe even economics (haven't studied it before and not a fan of essays though lol). Are the economics courses more essay based or mathematical???

PS. The only further maths I've done is in yr11 which is just basically parts of c1 and c2 with a very brief introduction in matrices. I regret not doing it for A-level now, but I wasn't sure what to study at university (still am xD) so thought i should keep my options open doing a greater variety of subjects. oh well.

Are you able to pick up AS Further Maths in Year 13?
Reply 6
Original post by RichE
Are you able to pick up AS Further Maths in Year 13?

potentially, but it wouldn't fit in my timetable so would have to take part in classes after school.
Reply 7
Also about to do an EPQ.

You would need further maths to do Maths (or Maths with Physics) at Cambridge. It's also very commonly offered by Economics applicants. And by Natural Science (Physical) applicants.

Economics at Cambridge is relatively maths-heavy (hence why FM is useful) but essays are part and parcel of the course too. Most applicants will have economics A-level and/or an essay subject.
(edited 7 years ago)

You should be aware that Oxford don't offer an Economics degree by itself (you have to do a joint honours). I think you will be at a disadvantage for all of the subjects you mention since you lack Further Maths (although that doesn't mean getting a place is impossible, except for courses that explicitly require it). You would probably have less of a disadvantage at Oxford than Cambridge.
Original post by DJon

This. I'd stick with maths/physics or whatever unless you're truly passionate about economics.
appreciate the response,

Bare in mind, if you want to do banking, maths/physics with good honours from Oxbridge will certainly land you a good IB graduate job. You don't need to do economics, and it's especially not necessary if you aren't particularly passionate about it and haven't studied it before. But I personally love economics and would recommend it to anyone, just be careful you don't throw yourself into uni doing a course that you don't really want to do!
My reasoning for economics is because i was thinking of going into banking

There are no specific degree requirements for banking. It's a misconception that you need to have done Economics. I, for example, intend to get into banking with a Law degree. In investment banks you'll find people with all sorts of degrees, English, History, Economics, Maths, Physics, Philosophy, etc.
Also about to do an EPQ.

I visited Oxford, and from everything I've heard they're not like "so what are your hobbies" they want an economics nerd!! And if your not that then they don't want you.
Reply 13
Your chances for Maths or Maths and Physics without FM are slim.
Lots of essays involved in Econ - would not advise if you don't like writing.

For banking, Maths/ Phys is an ideal degree (i.e. Econ is not any more preferable) so shoot for those if that is what you are interested in. Do what you will enjoy my friend.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending