The Student Room Group

Should I start wearing a headscarf despite the opposition from my parents?

Salam alaykum/hello,
So I'm 16 years old and a British convert to Islam and recently moved to college. I am thinking to wear the hijab after thinking about it, because I feel like I'm ready for it but the issue is that my parents aren't Muslims, and don't want me to wear a hijab because they think I will shame them by wearing one because they don't wish to identify themselves with me.
Original post by Evangeline-Mae
Salam alaykum/hello,
So I'm 16 years old and a British convert to Islam and recently moved to college. I am thinking to wear the hijab after thinking about it, because I feel like I'm ready for it but the issue is that my parents aren't Muslims, and don't want me to wear a hijab because they think I will shame them by wearing one because they don't wish to identify themselves with me.

Only wear it when you're ready
Don't let anyone force you
And if you think you're parents will physically or mentally hurt you in anyway, then I suggest you wait till you're a little older to wear it.
Good luck! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Salam alaykum/hello,

Wa'alaykumasalaam.

Go for it.

Would your parents do anything if you do start wearing the hijab?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Salam alaykum/hello,

Wa'alaykum Assalaam,

If you feel you are ready then do it. Maybe talk to your parents about it kindly and let them know it is your choice and why you feel strongly about it. If they start to understand hopefully, then it would be great.
You may be close approaching adulthoot but if you're living in your parent's home you're going to have to obey their rules no matter how you don't want to. You're going to have to move to your own place. It was like that with my parents too but to the opposite end- they wanted me to ooze religiosity from every single pore.
Reply 5
Salam alaykum/hello,
Salam alaykum/hello,

Wa alaikumasalam,

Im also a British convert to Islam. I have been Muslim 4 years now Alhamdulillah.

Islamically it is compulsory to obey our parents in what they order us to do, except if that thing is against Islam.

The Prophet said:
“There is no obedience to any human being if it involves disobedience of Allah.”

Narrated by Ahmad, 1098

So one should not obey ones parents if they order one to do something against Islam.

However because you are convert to Islam and your parents are not Muslim the situation can be difficult.

My advice would be to speak to your parents about the issue. You dont want to do something that may ruin your relationship with them or make your situation very difficult. Especially as you are still 16 and I assume living at home with your family I would advise not to do something that would make things very difficult at home e.g. they may want to throw you out (not saying this is the case but I know people in which this can happen).

It is a very difficult situation, and one I faced (not hijab tho obv), and it is best to speak to your parents and family about these issues. Explain that your Muslim and it is part of your faith etc

If you feel confident in your faith and feel that your situation and relationship with your family wouldn't be damaged because of it then go for it.

With my Father at the beginning he was very against me being Muslim that led to many arguments and fights etc But slowly overtime as he began to see Islam through my actions and in me - he realised Islam wasn't bad and was good for me - and now is cool with it.

Duno If I have explained myself clearly over text but yeah.

Allah Knows Best.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
scarfs and white women ,its cool
Reply 8
Salam alaykum/hello,

Wa alaikum salaam. Dear sister in islaam, you should not feel pressured by your parents, but if you think that they will harm you, then i advise you to wait for a little longer. even though your parents are not muslims, islaam teaches that you must still respect and love them and mend the bond between you. parents have a very high status in islaam.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending