The Student Room Group

Oxbridge interview weight bias?

Scroll to see replies

Cross train in Boxing or MMA. Even if you don't compete the training is so intense that the weight will fly off you.
Original post by venividicenavi
It's not that I don't want to, it's just that I don't see the massive effort it would take to lose weight as worth it. I'm not giant, I'm not badly unfit, it's only my eating that's unhealthy. It's so difficult to lose weight when vigorous exercise is hard and when eating less and changing habits is difficult (I've been big since I was like 12).

You know what else is a massive effort and so difficult? Oxbridge.
Original post by jneill
And I was expecting a question about how much importance does Oxbridge give the interview...

(BTW, just because you gained 2 stones last year doesn't mean you will continue to gain 2 stones every year, otherwise you're going to need new rugby kit.)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol You are not alone.
On a subconscious level it might. Isn't that incentive to lose weight though? If your health isn't enough of an incentive, then maybe your academic and career prospects is?
Hey, I just got my GCSE results (9A*s) and am thinking about applying to Oxbridge next year. I'm male and I weigh nearly 17 stone and I'm a bit above average height. I've gained about two stone in the last year so I'd be about 19 stone by the time interviews came around. I'm just wondering if being fat would affect my chances of getting in, in any way, no matter how small.

Thank you
:smile:)

This is actually something I've talked about with my daughter and her friends a few times; it's true there aren't many very fat students at Cambridge for some reason. And there was even a post and discussion (=banters) on why it was in FB group of 'Overheard in Cambridge' while ago.

I really do not think they discriminate against people on the basis of their weight, as they know there're much more important and better things than weight of an applicant to judge if they are good enough and suited to their university. :wink:
However, there's a certain common characteristic for a sort of students who'd be successful in applying universities like Oxbridge. Most of them are very hard-working and often good at planning things in long term and have good enough self-discipline to work towards it and tend to be more sensible than their peers of same age in their behaviour. ......which is actually not too different from a sort of personality who can keep their health/weight under reasonable control.

So if OP has those virtues and still can achieve academically good enough result, that's totally fine. No need to lose weight just to be (allegedly) competitive. What admission people at Cambridge (and Oxford, too, for sure) is only interested is whether a candidate is academically able enough and has a potential to get even better under their wings. They're not recruiting catwalk models.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 45
Maybe at least aim to get under 17st 6lbs - the weight of the heaviest Cambridge boat race rower ever.
Original post by jneill
Maybe at least aim to get under 17st 6lbs - the weight of the heaviest Cambridge boat race rower ever.

Good point. :cool:
Though what's even more important might be width (sideways). A boat is quite narrow........
I suspect your chances of being approached by a fellow sexually are lower.
Original post by Rachel58
You know what else is a massive effort and so difficult? Oxbridge.

I'm not sure that's a great/fair comparison. I'm sure there are plenty of people who are hardworking academically but lazy in other ways.
No offence but all the fat kids play rugby, its the only thing they can do. If you were fit you would be playing football.

This is a generalisation but it is true in your case. ( as I know you are fat).

I think you are tricking yourself to believing your ok at hat weight, trust me your not healthy at all. I hope for your heazlth you sort it out. Sounds a bit blunt but idc.
Original post by whydoidothis?
No offence but all the fat kids play rugby, its the only thing they can do. If you were fit you would be playing football.

This is a generalisation but it is true in your case. ( as I know you are fat).

I think you are tricking yourself to believing your ok at hat weight, trust me your not healthy at all. I hope for your heazlth you sort it out. Sounds a bit blunt but idc.

I started rugby when I was 8 and I was thin and fit until I was about 12 when I played fly half (before I got fat). The fly half currently on my team is really fit and about half the team are of a similar build to him.

I'm in the normal range for blood pressure, i haven't got diabetes, I can run 200m solid without having to catch my breath, I am actually fairly healthy, its literally just my diet that is in need of improvement.
I started rugby when I was 8 and I was thin and fit until I was about 12 when I played fly half (before I got fat). The fly half currently on my team is really fit and about half the team are of a similar build to him.

I'm in the normal range for blood pressure, i haven't got diabetes, I can run 200m solid without having to catch my breath, I am actually fairly healthy, its literally just my diet that is in need of improvement.

This is because you are 17. Quit the denial that this isn't going to cause problems in the future.

For now, your very likely to be diabetic when your older if you keep this up.

If you can only run 200m before having to catch your breath that is pretty poor.
Surely you have done the Bleep/multistage fitness test? Your score on that would allow for comparison.
You are killing yourself. You are not reasonably healthy, you are obese, and don't seem to care that you will only get fatter. Playing Rugby doesn't change the fact that you are fat and unhealthy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by whydoidothis?
For now, your very likely to be diabetic when your older if you keep this up.

If you can only run 200m before having to catch your breath that is pretty poor.
Surely you have done the Bleep/multistage fitness test? Your score on that would allow for comparison.

We actually did it last week and I almost got to Level 6. My coach said that I need to improve it though and lose a bit of weight but then he encouraged me to pile my plate high at the buffet after the game when I didn't even play anyway.
Original post by Obiejess
You are killing yourself. You are not reasonably healthy, you are obese, and don't seem to care that you will only get fatter. Playing Rugby doesn't change the fact that you are fat and unhealthy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can be obese and fit though. I do need to lose weight but the sort of things I eat every day are very addictive so it's difficult.
You can be obese and fit though. I do need to lose weight but the sort of things I eat every day are very addictive so it's difficult.

Dictionary definition of "fit": in good health, especially because of regular physical exercise.

Being obese is by definition unhealthy so you cannot be obese and fit.
Lol'd at the username. :biggrin:

"I came, I saw, I dined"
Original post by vincrows
This is actually something I've talked about with my daughter and her friends a few times; it's true there aren't many very fat students at Cambridge for some reason. And there was even a post and discussion (=banters) on why it was in FB group of 'Overheard in Cambridge' while ago.

I really do not think they discriminate against people on the basis of their weight, as they know there're much more important and better things than weight of an applicant to judge if they are good enough and suited to their university. :wink:
However, there's a certain common characteristic for a sort of students who'd be successful in applying universities like Oxbridge. Most of them are very hard-working and often good at planning things in long term and have good enough self-discipline to work towards it and tend to be more sensible than their peers of same age in their behaviour. ......which is actually not too different from a sort of personality who can keep their health/weight under reasonable control.

So if OP has those virtues and still can achieve academically good enough result, that's totally fine. No need to lose weight just to be (allegedly) competitive. What admission people at Cambridge (and Oxford, too, for sure) is only interested is whether a candidate is academically able enough and has a potential to get even better under their wings. They're not recruiting catwalk models.

I always thought it was down to the fact that the vast majority of Oxford students are from moderately wealthy to very wealthy backgrounds, and socioeconomic status has a strong correlation with health behaviours and weight. Educational standards (which also show correlation with income brackets) probably also play a part.
We actually did it last week and I almost got to Level 6. My coach said that I need to improve it though and lose a bit of weight but then he encouraged me to pile my plate high at the buffet after the game when I didn't even play anyway.

Your trolling.

6 is no offence, terrible. It proves your body is struggling with aerobic exercise.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending