The Student Room Group

Choosing triple science?

Is choosing triple science difficult? I want a career in medicine and I've heard that triple science is required. I'm worried I won't achieve great grades since it's complex, plus I'm not amazing at science. Also, how many GCSEs are you allowed to take? Would triple science be considered as three GCSEs? Thank you.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Triple Science is three separate GCSEs - Biology, Chemistry and Physics. You don't have to do Triple to go on to do Science A-Levels but the additional knowledge from the extra units (3) will help the step up from GCSE to A-Level. If you're not great a Science Medicine might not be the career for you as there's a lot of Science involved and it's very competitive, so you would need excellent grades.
Original post by Clemm101
Triple Science is three separate GCSEs - Biology, Chemistry and Physics. You don't have to do Triple to go on to do Science A-Levels but the additional knowledge from the extra units (3) will help the step up from GCSE to A-Level. If you're not great a Science Medicine might not be the career for you as there's a lot of Science involved and it's very competitive, so you would need excellent grades.

Thank you. Is there any way to improve my science grades? Do you think that applying for tuition would be a good method to raise them?
Original post by Conceited
I was put in triple science in Year 10 (if I recall correctly). I struggled and ended up dropping to double science before exams. I came out with an A which was alright. That's just personal but as far as I'm aware it's not necessary and I wouldn't bother if I were you.

Thank you. For your GCSEs, what did you mainly study? What was the exams based on?
Reply 4
Absolutely - tuition will help immensely. Grades can always be improved. Lots of reading will help and watching some of the Science revision videos on youtube etc. Get some revision guides and texts books and ask your teachers for some past papers to take a look at. If you want to do Medicine I cannot stress enough how important Science is.
Original post by sweetstars
Is choosing triple science difficult? I want a career in medicine and I've heard that triple science is required. I'm worried I won't achieve great grades since it's complex, plus I'm not amazing at science. Also, how many GCSEs are you allowed to take? Would triple science be considered as three GCSEs? Thank you.

Even though I'm not great at science I picked it because I didn't know what else to do and it honestly wasn't too bad. It depends on your exam board, but for mine (OCR Gateway) everyone did units 1-4 and if you did triple you had an extra 2 units which, in my opinion, weren't too hard to understand and the workload was completely manageable. The only annoying part was having to do 3 lots of coursework :tongue: If you tell me what exam board you're with I might be able to give you more detailed info.

Oh and if you want to do medicine you don't have to chose triple! I heard it helps a bit with the step up to A-level (I don't do any science a-levels so I can't comment), but a few of my friends have gone on to do a science w/o doing triple and so far they're managing fine :smile:
Original post by Conceited
I honestly can't recall. The link below will help you out tremendously and it's definitely worth the money.

http://www.my-gcsescience.com/

Thanks. Is there any complimentary courses that can cover a wide range of what I need as I can't afford it. :/
Absolutely - tuition will help immensely. Grades can always be improved. Lots of reading will help and watching some of the Science revision videos on youtube etc. Get some revision guides and texts books and ask your teachers for some past papers to take a look at. If you want to do Medicine I cannot stress enough how important Science is.

Thank you.
This is giving me doubts... You can't retake GCSEs?
Original post by trabajadora
Even though I'm not great at science I picked it because I didn't know what else to do and it honestly wasn't too bad. It depends on your exam board, but for mine (OCR Gateway) everyone did units 1-4 and if you did triple you had an extra 2 units which, in my opinion, weren't too hard to understand and the workload was completely manageable. The only annoying part was having to do 3 lots of coursework :tongue: If you tell me what exam board you're with I might be able to give you more detailed info.

Oh and if you want to do medicine you don't have to chose triple! I heard it helps a bit with the step up to A-level (I don't do any science a-levels so I can't comment), but a few of my friends have gone on to do a science w/o doing triple and so far they're managing fine :smile:

I have no idea what my exam board is. Is there a way to find out? I think it's AQA.

How exactly do triple science help for A-Levels? If I pick Double Science, what would I be missing out? Thanks for the help by the way.
I have no idea what my exam board is. Is there a way to find out? I think it's AQA.

How exactly do triple science help for A-Levels? If I pick Double Science, what would I be missing out? Thanks for the help by the way.

The only way to find out would be to ask your school. Check your school's website as it might be on there :smile:

Triple science would help because it goes over, very simply, a couple of topics that you may do at A-level. If you don't do triple then it would just mean that you might have to spend a bit more time going over a few things. The majority of topics that you do will probably be new to everyone.
This is giving me doubts... You can't retake GCSEs?

You can re-take them but some universities aren't keen on it for certain subjects.
You can re-take them but some universities aren't keen on it for certain subjects.

Thanks.
Original post by trabajadora
The only way to find out would be to ask your school. Check your school's website as it might be on there :smile:

Triple science would help because it goes over, very simply, a couple of topics that you may do at A-level. If you don't do triple then it would just mean that you might have to spend a bit more time going over a few things. The majority of topics that you do will probably be new to everyone.

Would you recommend doing triple science? Plus, the examination board is AQA.

I did triple science last year and I recommend that you should take it (especially as you are doing AQA)! As you want a career in medicine, doing triple science will be very useful because in unit 3 harder content is covered which is between gcse and as level. But if you do double science you only get examined on unit 1 and 2, which is a lot easier but less interesting. Triple science does count as 3 GCSE's, whereas double is 2.:smile:
Best of luck!x:biggrin:

Watch free science lesson videos and my gcse science videos- they explain the content very clearly and you will understand perfectly!:smile:

If you are taking a level science (I now do a level chem) triple science will help you as you will understand things more easily!:smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by sunshine774
I did triple science last year and I recommend that you should take it (especially as you are doing AQA)! As you want a career in medicine, doing triple science will be very useful because in unit 3 harder content is covered which is between gcse and as level. But if you do double science you only get examined on unit 1 and 2, which is a lot easier but less interesting. Triple science does count as 3 GCSE's, whereas double is 2.:smile:
Best of luck!x:biggrin:

Watch free science lesson videos and my gcse science videos- they explain the content very clearly and you will understand perfectly!:smile:

If you are taking a level science (I now do a level chem) triple science will help you as you will understand things more easily!:smile:

Thank you. Would core science be included? Do I take core science even though I have three other sciences? Thank you. Plus, what did your exams cover? What would I need to revise or focus on? Thank you so much. XD I'm asking soo many questions, sorry.
Thank you. Would core science be included? Do I take core science even though I have three other sciences? Thank you. Plus, what did your exams cover? What would I need to revise or focus on? Thank you so much. XD I'm asking soo many questions, sorry.

In AQA gcse science core science IS unit 1, additional science is unit 2, and triple science is unit 3. That's why its triple science- you do all 3 units in all 3 sciences!:smile:
I will get back to you later with course material...:smile:

And remember it is good to ask questions- we're all here to help!:biggrin:
In AQA gcse science core science IS unit 1, additional science is unit 2, and triple science is unit 3. That's why its triple science- you do all 3 units in all 3 sciences!:smile:
I will get back to you later with course material...:smile:

And remember it is good to ask questions- we're all here to help!:biggrin:

Thank you! You're a great help! :3 I think I'm like literally the only one worrying about my GCSEs this early...but I'm anxious. XD
Thank you! You're a great help! :3 I think I'm like literally the only one worrying about my GCSEs this early...but I'm anxious. XD

It's good to worry at least a little. When I did my GCSE's last year I wasn't worried at all, I was very calm but I guess this is bad because I then didn't revise:s-smilie:
Anyway, I am sure that you will do very very well!:biggrin:
It's good to worry at least a little. When I did my GCSE's last year I wasn't worried at all, I was very calm but I guess this is bad because I then didn't revise:s-smilie:
Anyway, I am sure that you will do very very well!:biggrin:

Lol, thank you. I hope so. I'm only worrying because I had some friends who had bad grades due to not revising or enjoying the subjects they chose.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending