The Student Room Group

UKCAT Is just a guessing game?

Im revising for the UKCAT but I find it frustrating that sometimes I do good (650 avg) and sometimes i do bad (550 avg) Its just a guessing game and even with good practice and lots of questions there will always be another question that you cant get correct first time.
No matter how many questions I do i dont feel like im improving.. has anyone else felt this way.. its so frustrating.

Im aiming for a 700avg but man it seems impossible. You either get lucky or you dont :frown:
Not really. Whilst you do have to guess some qs, you need to make sure you limit the number of questions you guess. You do this through practise, and recognising when to guess and when to not. When you practise you are mainly working on your timing tho, which helps you achieve a better score
Reply 2
Original post by HopelessMedic
Not really. Whilst you do have to guess some qs, you need to make sure you limit the number of questions you guess. You do this through practise, and recognising when to guess and when to not. When you practise you are mainly working on your timing tho, which helps you achieve a better score

The only time I am not guessing is if I manage to find the pattern in AR. Or if I correctly work out a question in QR. But this doesnt always happen.
For VR and SJT I choose which answers that I think are the best but its not always correct. You know what I mean?
Like im not as confident that what I have chose is right. This also happens in AR and QR if i cant work out the pattern or calculation..

You get where im coming from?
Original post by bobwibbles
The only time I am not guessing is if I manage to find the pattern in AR. Or if I correctly work out a question in QR. But this doesnt always happen.
For VR and SJT I choose which answers that I think are the best but its not always correct. You know what I mean?
Like im not as confident that what I have chose is right. This also happens in AR and QR if i cant work out the pattern or calculation..

Yeh I see what you mean. But with the time constraints it is impossible to properly attempt every question and get the correct answer, so you'll have to get used to making good guesses.

I completely see where you're coming from. My QR was almost all guesswork this year and yet I came out with 750.
Reply 5
Original post by studentsixth
I completely see where you're coming from. My QR was almost all guesswork this year and yet I came out with 750.

Man that is a great score. How lond did u spend revising whats ur tips etc. And what did u get in mocks before the actual test.
So far ive done over 500 questions but it never feels like im improving.

My exam is this Friday 😓
Man that is a great score. How lond did u spend revising whats ur tips etc. And what did u get in mocks before the actual test.
So far ive done over 500 questions but it never feels like im improving.

My exam is this Friday 😓

The 750 was only in QR id like to point out XD! I spent quite a long time but tbh more than anything it's about not letting your nerves get to you. If you go in with a clear head you should be fine. For me, I freaked out too much during my VR and got an apt score for it. Had I not panicked I'm pretty sure I would've hit 700 average.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending