The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why do mixed race people describe themselves as black?

Note: This is a genuine question. Racist comments will be reported.

Why do a lot of mixed race people describe themselves as black, when they are usually equal parts white and black? Is it because they identify more with their black heritage so feel it more appropriate to describe themselves as black rather than white or mixed raced? Or is there another reason?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Iridocyclitis

Why do a lot of mixed race people describe themselves as black, when they are usually equal parts white and black? Is it because they identify more with their black heritage so feel it more appropriate to describe themselves as black rather than white or mixed raced? Or is there another reason?

Throughout history the western world has classed them as black (despite them having white mothers or fathers)i.e the french for example. I mean it's not a bad thing is it?
Reply 2
They look more black than white I guess. You can't really look white unless your white.

Take President Obama for example. He's mixed race but he does look more black than white since there are fully black people with similar looks to him but no white people who look like him.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Well the 'black genes' tend to be more dominate over the 'white genes', in terms of hair, skin color, etc. They know if they say black they'll be accepted but if they say white then people will say "you're not white, you're mixed, you're only half white" so I guess they just feel more welcomed by identifying black. That's from personal observations, not gonna lie i probably would and can see people reacting the same. I guess it's just one of society's many complexed judgements.

I remember a mixed race girl called chelsea, her 'white genes' were dominate but she had like Afro hair but she got away with identifying as white, although she was questioned about her hair a lot
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Black genes are dominant. They don't benefit from white privilege. And mixed people tend to be treated poorly by the white side of their family.
It's not so black and white, so to speak.

I'm half-Jamaican and half-English, so I think of myself as black as my brown skin and Caribbean features do 'other' me from white people and mean I don't benefit from white privilege. I am privileged amongst PoCs however, as being mixed is seen as more exotic, attractive and intelligent because we tend to be lighter skinned. Obviously total BS.

But as I said, it's not as simple as 'all mixed people see themselves as black'. I have a friend who was born in France, and is half-Enligsh, half-Iranian but, as she is white passing, she does benefit from white privilege, so doesn't participate in PoC only discussions. As far as I know, she doesn't consider herself black, but mixed.

In my own case, I never really saw myself as black until recently when I became aware of differences in how my white friends were treated compared to me in certain situations, eg. being followed around shops by security. I always thought of myself as just mixed, which is also a valid identity in its own right.
One drop rule.
Let's think about a white and black mixture. You add cocoa powder to milk, would you call that white milk with cocoa powder or hot chocolate? It's the idea of the black genes being more dominant, I guess. I really wanted to use that analogy lol.

Because most people of Afro-Caribbean and many of African American origin are already mixed race, to some degree. 'Pure' Africans are only found in Africa. A lot of Jamaicans especially are obviously not purely of African origin because until independence, a large proportion of the population were white. Bob Marley for instance was born to an ethnically white British father.

Combine that with the fact that anyone with black African heritage is obviously not an indigenous Brit and so may not be treated as such or feel like one also. That goes both ways of course: in South Africa so-called 'coloured' people are marginalised by the indigenous black community for not being 'black enough'.
(edited 7 years ago)
Are you white, may I ask?
(edited 7 years ago)

I can't speak for all mixed race people, but I personally call myself black as I grew up around the black side of my family and am therefore more 'in tune' with that side of me.

Also, it may be worth adding that when I call myself black I am accepted as such, but when I've tried to call myself white in the past, white people have told me 'you're not white you're mixed'. So in my experience it feels like if you're not 100% white you're not white enough and it can make things uncomfortable to try and say otherwise.
White privilege is very real unfortunately. It's not just non-white folks pulling the race card and screaming racist. You turn a blind eye to white privilege because you have been made custom to it as a white person, so you'll let it fly past you. It's very easy to say that it doesn't exist from your perspective, but if you were standing on the side of perhaps a black person you'll see how real it is.
Original post by GradesUnlocked
White privilege is very real unfortunately. It's not just non-white folks pulling the race card and screaming racist. You turn a blind eye to white privilege because you have been made custom to it as a white person, so you'll let it fly past you. It's very easy to say that it doesn't exist from your perspective, but if you were standing on the side of perhaps a black person you'll see how real it is.

Lmao I can't believe that people like you actually exist
....In what way have you been 'discriminated against' for being white? And someone making a joke about white people doesn't count.
Waiting for you to reply to the other person. 🌚
Original post by Mr Moon Man
Lmao I can't believe that people like you actually exist

Better believe it because I'm here on Earth chilling.
Reply 16
Victim points and the ability to say the most racist things possible with no consequence.
Reply 17
Original post by wickedisgood
....In what way have you been 'discriminated against' for being white? And someone making a joke about white people doesn't count.

So if I make jokes about black people that's ok?
Original post by joecphillips
So if I make jokes about black people that's ok?

Jokes don't really have anything to do with 'white privilege'.
A lot of the things you have stated seem to only effect you personally, and I believe most definitely not a wide range of the white population.

The Equality Act 2010 does not discriminate against white people. That's an absurd thing to say. Why would an act in favour of equality DISCRIMINATE against someone because of the colour of their skin? Also there isn't any statistical evidence to back your claim that a black person has more chance of getting a job than a white person, both having the same qualifications. You never hear of white people being treated unfair because of their skin colour and work... ain't that something?

I find it hard to comprehend how a subjugated group can be racist following the definition of the term racist. If you would like to enlighten me, feel free.

Latest

Trending

Trending