The Student Room Group

Rearranging Help

if you were to have as an example: C=2(x+a)

If the answer is C-2a/2

Why can this not be written as C/2-a
Reply 1
Original post by JackLeggett

If the answer is C-2a/2

It can be written that way. They are exactly the same.

If the answer is C-2a/2

They can but writing it as C-2a/2 is clearer so preferred

If the answer is C-2a/2

C2a2=C22a2=C2a\displaystyle \frac{C-2a}{2}=\frac{C}{2}-\frac{2a}{2}=\frac{C}{2}-a
same ting
Reply 5
Original post by abc_123_
They can but writing it as C-2a/2 is clearer so preferred

Thanks for help. When the equation is C=2 √h(2x-h). ( √h(2x-h) is all rooted) I have got it down to c^2/4=h(2x-h), where do I go from here?
Reply 6
Thanks for help. When the equation is C=2 √h(2x-h). ( √h(2x-h) is all rooted) I have got it down to c^2/4=h(2x-h), where do I go from here?

What are you trying to do?
Reply 7
Original post by B_9710
What are you trying to do?

Sorry, make x the subject, I have c^2/2h+h/2=x is this correct
(edited 7 years ago)

Can u Write down the whole equation please xx :smile:
Reply 9
Can u Write down the whole equation please xx :smile:

I have solved it to

is this correct??

I have solved it to

is this correct??

Nope. What happens to the 2 in front of the root when you square both sides? You seemed to have ignored it completely.

I have solved it to

is this correct??

I think that's right x
(edited 7 years ago)
Yea that's right xx
Well done :smile:

Nope.
Original post by RDKGames
Nope.

What?
I got two answers:
First attempt = c^2 / 8h
2nd attempt = c^2 / 2h
(edited 7 years ago)
What?

It's incorrect and you said it's correct.
It's incorrect and you said it's correct.

I thought it was sorry
Nope. What happens to the 2 in front of the root when you square both sides? You seemed to have ignored it completely.

?? I divided C by the 2 in front of the root?? Also I posted this question on another thread with the same answer and you said it was correct, I am not being rude I am just confused??
?? I divided C by the 2 in front of the root?? Also I posted this question on another thread with the same answer and you said it was correct, I am not being rude I am just confused??

I said it was correct because you the way you wrote the question made me miss out on the 2 as it was so close to the equals sign while the rest of the equation was separated by a space hence I ignored it so your answer was correct in that case. I edited that comment soon after I saw your post here and noticed the 2 in front.

Okay so you divide by 2, still didn't get the right answer as you didn't square LHS properly.
Reply 18

Correct answer is x=c2+4h28h x=\frac{c^2+4h^2}{8h} , of course there are alternative forms that are equivalent to this.
I said it was correct because you the way you wrote the question made me miss out on the 2 as it was so close to the equals sign while the rest of the equation was separated by a space hence I ignored it so your answer was correct in that case. I edited that comment soon after I saw your post here and noticed the 2 in front.

Okay so you divide by 2, still didn't get the right answer as you didn't square LHS properly.

Oh Ok thanks

Quick Reply

Latest