The Student Room Group

Subject Choices

Greetings, I'm currently going through a phase in Year 12 where I'm almost certain I need a subject change. The current subjects I've chosen are Physics, Maths and Further Maths. My issue exists within the Maths subjects I've chosen. I'm finding Physics quite nice so far and have experienced no difficulties however this cannot be said for Maths.

In almost every Maths lesson, I am feeling tense, the pace of the lesson is way to fast. I'm doing the ENTIRE Maths A-Level within one year (AS & A2) before moving onto Further Maths. I'm almost 100 percent certain I will not achieve a high grade doing the A-Level in one year and if this is the case, I may not be allowed to do Further Maths next year which will result in me doing two subjects, jeapordizing me entire life as most Uni's only accept three A-Level subjects.

I'm planning on dropping Further Maths and replacing that with Economics (and possibly another subject). Is this a good choice? How would this affect my life overall? Which careers can I branch or cannot branch out into with these subjects.

I want to get into engineering or something financial related, will my change affect this? I have until October to decide.
Last year I did History AS Chem AS Phys AS Maths A2 and everyone else in my further maths class did 2 AS plus A2 maths, if you only have physics As and maths A2 you have literally so many frees to do all the maths work? If you fail maths A2 you can just retake any of the modules while doing further maths and physics A2? The further maths class will probs still accept you in A2 even if you retake some modules. In my class most ppl r retaking C3 and C4 at least aside 1 and they are still all doing A2 fm.
Reply 2
Original post by ohmickeyursofine
Last year I did History AS Chem AS Phys AS Maths A2 and everyone else in my further maths class did 2 AS plus A2 maths, if you only have physics As and maths A2 you have literally so many frees to do all the maths work? If you fail maths A2 you can just retake any of the modules while doing further maths and physics A2? The further maths class will probs still accept you in A2 even if you retake some modules. In my class most ppl r retaking C3 and C4 at least aside 1 and they are still all doing A2 fm.

What did you take to A2?
Original post by Nightly
Greetings, I'm currently going through a phase in Year 12 where I'm almost certain I need a subject change. The current subjects I've chosen are Physics, Maths and Further Maths. My issue exists within the Maths subjects I've chosen. I'm finding Physics quite nice so far and have experienced no difficulties however this cannot be said for Maths.

In almost every Maths lesson, I am feeling tense, the pace of the lesson is way to fast. I'm doing the ENTIRE Maths A-Level within one year (AS & A2) before moving onto Further Maths. I'm almost 100 percent certain I will not achieve a high grade doing the A-Level in one year and if this is the case, I may not be allowed to do Further Maths next year which will result in me doing two subjects, jeapordizing me entire life as most Uni's only accept three A-Level subjects.

I'm planning on dropping Further Maths and replacing that with Economics (and possibly another subject). Is this a good choice? How would this affect my life overall? Which careers can I branch or cannot branch out into with these subjects.

I want to get into engineering or something financial related, will my change affect this? I have until October to decide.

Obviously if you're really not enjoying the lessons, don't carry on with fm, but at the beginning of yr 12 i was failing and i thought i wasn't even coping with c1 and the teachers tried to persuade me to drop it. However, being the stubborn person i am, i refused to drop it and worked my bum off to catch up with the rest of my class. Two years on, I got A*s in both maths and further maths. so it can be done!! If you're struggling with the pace as I was, you might find the videos on http://www.examsolutions.net/ useful, I found this really good to go over stuff at home when i didn't understand the work in class:redface:
Reply 4
Original post by halfhearted
Obviously if you're really not enjoying the lessons, don't carry on with fm, but at the beginning of yr 12 i was failing and i thought i wasn't even coping with c1 and the teachers tried to persuade me to drop it. However, being the stubborn person i am, i refused to drop it and worked my bum off to catch up with the rest of my class. Two years on, I got A*s in both maths and further maths. so it can be done!! If you're struggling with the pace as I was, you might find the videos on http://www.examsolutions.net/ useful, I found this really good to go over stuff at home when i didn't understand the work in class:redface:

Well done! What were your other subject?
Original post by Rajive
Well done! What were your other subject?

Thanks! I also did physics (A*) and Chemistry (A)
Reply 6

Did you end up doing a maths degree?
Original post by Rajive
Did you end up doing a maths degree?

Nope, I'm doing physics at warwick from this year:smile:
Reply 8
Congratulations with your grades and thanks for the reply, you've given me hope. Admittedly, I am struggling with some aspects of C1 and the teachers just like you are encouraging me to drop. I have an assessment next Friday and I'll see how it goes. Thank you for the replies
I'm continuing with chem phys and maths, currently debating whether to drop further maths myself as 4 seems too much

So in A2 did u have to retake any maths modules? I want to continue fm chem phys and maths but need to retake some maths modules so I think I'm going to drop fm since 4 seems impossible?
Original post by ohmickeyursofine
So in A2 did u have to retake any maths modules? I want to continue fm chem phys and maths but need to retake some maths modules so I think I'm going to drop fm since 4 seems impossible?

yeah i retook C3, I got 77ums the first time and got 95 this year
doing four is definitely a challenge but certainly do-able if you're committed
yeah i retook C3, I got 77ums the first time and got 95 this year
doing four is definitely a challenge but certainly do-able if you're committed

Quick Reply

Latest