The Student Room Group

UCL vs Exeter

Hey guys,

I'm applying soon for English Lit (1, Oxford 2,Durham 3, St Andrews 4, X 5, Edinburgh)

Just wondering what everyone had to say about the course at Exeter and how it compares to UCL. When I went to UCL I didn't like the Uni at all but the course for English was amazing; I haven't been to Exeter.

Thanks for any help you can give
(edited 7 years ago)
I've heard that Exeter has an extremely strong reputation for English.
Original post by JAJM
When I went to UCL I didn't like the Uni at all but the course for English was amazing; I haven't been to Exeter.

Well this is a concern, especially considering you'll be spending 3 or 4 years at this place. What exactly don't you like about the uni?
Reply 3
Original post by DarkEnergy
Well this is a concern, especially considering you'll be spending 3 or 4 years at this place. What exactly don't you like about the uni?

firstly the accommodation is the most expensive and the worst, secondly I feel like there's no real student life as everyone dilutes into London and thirdly I felt like they didn't really care about their students.

But the English course was amazing so i'm stuck
Exeter is a great uni, particularly for English, however it is quite out the way, and will have a smaller nightlife compared to London. However that being said it's smaller size could mean the 'student' vibe is a lot more prominent as it is a lot more concentrated with students - you should really visit and see for yourself.
Reply 5
Both are reputable universities with good English departments. London is better supplied with academic libraries than Exeter but Exeter's llibrary is fine. What is it about UCL's English course that makes it more attractive to you—the periods or topics it covers, the way it's structured, the way it's assessed? And do you actively dislike Exeter's English course, or is it just that it doesn't excite you in the way that UCL's does?
I couldn't decide so I just went for both. Btw, whichever you choose, we'll have two (or three! if you choose to apply to both instead of one of these two and Edinborough) uni choices in common. Good luck with the decision, and in case you don't get into Oxford (I'm applying to Cambridge), I hope to see you next year! Best of luck, especially with Oxford! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending