The Student Room Group

Things to do alongside A levels

I am currently in year 12 and I'm taking 3 a levels - biology, psychology and business.

I want to be a teacher when I am older so is there anything outside of school I can do to improve my chances of achieving this?

At the moment I am currently doing the following :
Psychology prefect (if my application is successful)
A managing anxiety and depression course on future learn
Looking at being a student mentor at school (tutoring younger students)
I have a weeks work experience working in a primary school and am due to gave another 2 weeks work experience working in a school in july.

I feel this is not enough , I need something to make me stand out. A lot of people in my year did D of E and NCS but I am very shy so was not confident enough to do so.

I am looking at getting a job but there isn't many around atm...I've applied for a paper round simply because I need money😩

Any help would be appreciated.
Reply 1
Im in the same situation, i practically have nothing but 2 work experience placements :/ and just being apart of 2 sports teams in the past

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is similar to the student mentor, but you could ask one of your teachers if you could help teaching a year 7/8 class once a week for the whole year. I done this in year 12 and it means you get to make relationships with younger students in the school as if you were a teacher and gives you a lot of work experience and an amazing reference from the teacher you have helped out.
Original post by lozza_X
I feel this is not enough , I need something to make me stand out. A lot of people in my year did D of E and NCS but I am very shy so was not confident enough to do so.

You should work on this, especially if you want to be a teacher. Maybe try volunteering if possible?
Reply 4
Original post by livvy99xox
This is similar to the student mentor, but you could ask one of your teachers if you could help teaching a year 7/8 class once a week for the whole year. I done this in year 12 and it means you get to make relationships with younger students in the school as if you were a teacher and gives you a lot of work experience and an amazing reference from the teacher you have helped out.

Hmmm, I would do that just not sure if I'm confident enough at the moment. Thank you for the advice though 😊
Reply 5
Original post by DarkEnergy
You should work on this, especially if you want to be a teacher. Maybe try volunteering if possible?

I know, and it's definitely something I'm working on.I think with d of e it was the camping and NCS the being away from home so much as I get very homesick :frown:
Original post by lozza_X
I know, and it's definitely something I'm working on.I think with d of e it was the camping and NCS the being away from home so much as I get very homesick :frown:

It's best to learn how to cope with homesickness now rather than later in life as you'll probably study away from your home (unless there's a uni where you live that you want to go to) when you do your degree.
Reply 7
Original post by DarkEnergy
It's best to learn how to cope with homesickness now rather than later in life as you'll probably study away from your home (unless there's a uni where you live that you want to go to) when you do your degree.

The uni which I'm planning to go to which is canterbury christ church is within driving distance for me so I could stay at home which is handy 😁
Reply 8
Does anyone think think something like this would be handy? Or is it pointless?
https://alison.com/courses/Diploma-in-Childrens-Studies
Reply 9
Perhaps join a club or start going to scouts as an explorer to build up your confidence.
Party
How about joining the debating society within your school/6th form or set one up just for years 12-13.

Access to HE in Social Work

BSc Health and Social Care - pending
Reply 12
thanks everyone :smile:

I'm applying to be a prefect in a different subject today as well as a student mentor.

I am then going to do some MOOC's as I think they are quite beneficial.

Regarding to UCAS Points as well, it's slightly annoying as I play the piano outside of school but as I have never been graded I cannot get any UCAS points from it. :frown:
I would recommend everyone here to join the ACF. It's probably the best thing to put on your personal statement and CV as you do so much.

Quick Reply

Latest