The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Requirements for maths and maths/economics

theres no mention of what you need if you don't take further maths. they just say things along the line of A*A*AA (A*A* maths and further maths and the 2 A's in non-maths subjects).

As I don't take further maths, but take 3 maths based subjects (maths,physics and chemistry) what would my entry requirements be around???
Looking at Warwick's G100 (pure Maths) course, I believe that if you don't take FM, you will not get the offer, i.e. FM is an absolute requirement for the pure maths course. (Same applies for Maths & Econ or Maths & Business I believe)

That being said, I would look at the Mathematics & Physics course which would allow you not to take FM.

This is from the Maths&Physics page: "For students not offering Further Mathematics, the typical offer is Mathematics (A*), Physics (A*), third A level (A)"

As well, if you are interested in a little Economics or Statistics, it would be worth a shot looking at the MORSE course (Maths, Stats, OR, Economics). Their offer without FM would be A*A*A*.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
thanks for replying, probably going to pursue the joint maths and physics course. What I don't really understand is why Warwick's grade boundaries are higher than Oxfords in certain subjects. (like maths and eco). Even more surprising is that a 4 year masters course in physics at oxford requires A*AA, whereas a Bsc at Warwick its A*A*A like you said.
Original post by TheSnazzyMan
Looking at Warwick's G100 (pure Maths) course, I believe that if you don't take FM, you will not get the offer, i.e. FM is an absolute requirement for the pure maths course. (Same applies for Maths & Econ or Maths & Business I believe)

That being said, I would look at the Mathematics & Physics course which would allow you not to take FM.

This is from the Maths&Physics page: "For students not offering Further Mathematics, the typical offer is Mathematics (A*), Physics (A*), third A level (A)"

As well, if you are interested in a little Economics or Statistics, it would be worth a shot looking at the MORSE course (Maths, Stats, OR, Economics). Their offer without FM would be A*A*A*.
Original post by patrick_horro
thanks for replying, probably going to pursue the joint maths and physics course. What I don't really understand is why Warwick's grade boundaries are higher than Oxfords in certain subjects. (like maths and eco). Even more surprising is that a 4 year masters course in physics at oxford requires A*AA, whereas a Bsc at Warwick its A*A*A like you said.

Nah there's not much difference in entry requirements between an MSci and a BSc course. They are initially the same and no one really cares.

Oxbridge have (as you know) an admission procedure where they can filter out the high quality candidates whereas Warwick don't (not enough funding) so to a certain extent, you could argue that the interview makes up for the A* :wink:

As well, if you get into the Maths & Physics course, it'll be easy to switch to the pure maths course once you get to warwick
Reply 4
Nah there's not much difference in entry requirements between an MSci and a BSc course. They are initially the same and no one really cares.

Oxbridge have (as you know) an admission procedure where they can filter out the high quality candidates whereas Warwick don't (not enough funding) so to a certain extent, you could argue that the interview makes up for the A* :wink:

As well, if you get into the Maths & Physics course, it'll be easy to switch to the pure maths course once you get to warwick

the main reason for me wanting to do maths at oxford is the fact that its a 3 year course and i want to get into employment, whereas in physics its a compulsory 4 year one. If only they had a 3 year BSc :|
Reply 5

I've heard that it's quite difficult to switch, as the pure maths is a much more competitive course than MathPhys? I'm starting 4 year MathPhys in October but i'm worried I'm not going to enjoy the Physics side much so I'm thinking about trying to switch but I got told on the open day that it's far easier if you want to switch to straight physics rather than maths.
Reply 6
Original post by Alex621
I've heard that it's quite difficult to switch, as the pure maths is a much more competitive course than MathPhys? I'm starting 4 year MathPhys in October but i'm worried I'm not going to enjoy the Physics side much so I'm thinking about trying to switch but I got told on the open day that it's far easier if you want to switch to straight physics rather than maths.

A few of my friends switched from MathPhys to Maths/MORSE/Maths and Stats after the first year.

They require you to get more than 60-65% on exams in the first-year and then you can usually switch.
Reply 7
Original post by Kevkev1
A few of my friends switched from MathPhys to Maths/MORSE/Maths and Stats after the first year.

They require you to get more than 60-65% on exams in the first-year and then you can usually switch.

Ah ok, good to know! Thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending