The Student Room Group

How to improve at Maths Challenge

We were never given them at school but this year (AS) at college we are participating and I'm not very good at the problems so far :biggrin:

How might I go about getting better at them?
Original post by Athematica
We were never given them at school but this year (AS) at college we are participating and I'm not very good at the problems so far :biggrin:

How might I go about getting better at them?

Practice and learn from the solutions.
Reply 2
Don't do it fam
First maths challenge I knew nothing about it, was told on the day and got a bronze
Second maths challenge, found some past papers and got golds, did the actual paper, got stressed out, got a bronze again. Dem feels.

But nah obviously like with any other test you will become better by looking at previous questions (provided you do not put too much pressure on yourself like I did). In general every question has a, generally fairly cheap, "trick". You will become better at spotting them through practice.
(well, this is perhaps true of questions past the first ten or so, those early questions tend to be rudimentary, while 10-15 is a little weirder, and 15+ is the actual testing part)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Don't do it fam
First maths challenge I knew nothing about it, was told on the day and got a bronze
Second maths challenge, found some past papers and got golds, did the actual paper, got stressed out, got a bronze again. Dem feels.

But nah obviously like with any other test you will become better by looking at previous questions (provided you do not put too much pressure on yourself like I did). In general every question has a, generally fairly cheap, "trick". You will become better at spotting them through practice.
(well, this is perhaps true of questions past the first ten or so, those early questions tend to be rudimentary, while 10-15 is a little weirder, and 15+ is the actual testing part)

lol 1st maths challenge was the 2nd day after I got moved to top set
(I got 0 :rofl:)2nd maths challenge I was 2 marks off a bronze
fml fam
Reply 4
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
lol 1st maths challenge was the 2nd day after I got moved to top set
(I got 0 :rofl:)2nd maths challenge I was 2 marks off a bronze
fml fam

0...but you start with 25, you'd have to get all 25 wrong :beard:
0...but you start with 25, you'd have to get all 25 wrong :beard:

i guessed them all m8
I was shocking at maths until later year 11
Reply 6
i guessed them all m8
I was shocking at maths until later year 11

You guessed them all and you were wrong in every case..
The probability of that is 0.3777% if my calculations and memory are correct. xD
Ah right, we weren't asked as a class to do anything until AS. I also improved in later year 11; I mean I got 58/60 in my Year 10 exam, but I had Bs and As in mocks and things generally didn't "click" until later on.
You guessed them all and you were wrong in every case..
The probability of that is 0.3777% if my calculations and memory are correct. xD
Ah right, we weren't asked as a class to do anything until AS. I also improved in later year 11; I mean I got 58/60 in my Year 10 exam, but I had Bs and As in mocks and things generally didn't "click" until later on.

Yeah. I'm also not sure if I finished the paper... It was the year 10 challenge ok :tongue:
lol
the 2nd one was in y11 (early y11 xD )
damn
I got really low A's and one test I got the mark for an A*
What I never understood was that I was better at GCSE FM than M (in terms of %) :lolwut:

Spoiler

Reply 8
Yeah. I'm also not sure if I finished the paper... It was the year 10 challenge ok :tongue:
lol
the 2nd one was in y11 (early y11 xD )
damn
I got really low A's and one test I got the mark for an A*
What I never understood was that I was better at GCSE FM than M (in terms of %) :lolwut:

Spoiler

Maybe the paper is different, I would not know.. :beard:

I did better in A level FM than A Level Maths, all because of 87 in C2. :colonhash:
Physics Olympaid papers look pretty cool, never did one though.
Don't do it fam

how does one improve their level of maths to be able to do imo and bmos?
Reply 10
Original post by bigmansouf
how does one improve their level of maths to be able to do imo and bmos?

IMO is mainly about talent I believe. BMO, well, personally I still find even BMO1 hard, and I'm a maths student. So I think talent is important even there to an extent. But the mundane answer of "practice" still holds, I believe (and would hold for IMO, but I think most could never get into that regardless of how much work they put in).
Maybe the paper is different, I would not know.. :beard:

I did better in A level FM than A Level Maths, all because of 87 in C2. :colonhash:
Physics Olympaid papers look pretty cool, never did one though.

You don't wanna know lol
Stupid C2 :redface:
Would recommend :yy:
:goodnight:
I asked at college about this, hassled teachers, ran around having meetings and they, the college, with my initiative, have now set up a 'Problem Solvers' course for the whole year duration of the 2 years, starting with maths challenge stuff and moving towards NRICH, MAT papers, STEP prep, etc. I would next like to organise a way by which we can do 'extra-curricular' maths stuff, introducing us to new topics/ideas, which we would differentiate from the 'Problem solvers' maths where we apply known maths creatively or in a different way to the A Level spec.

Very happy because I now get support in my mathematics preparation and also probably have a nice tidbit to write about on my Personal Statement next year about coordinating this. Though, admittedly, the hard work will be done by the teachers through paper/question/topic selection.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Mathemagicien
Wow, what kind of school do you go to?

bog standard further education college. Just did a lot of legwork and persuading people. Got a petition from maths students to do more maths (all 7 from our double award class and another 9 from pure classes - and tbh I didn't go around every one) then explained the concept to the head of maths who said it may be possible to get in an hour a fortnight during the A2's tutorial slot, then getting the Okay from the principle making sure there were classrooms etc.

The EC one will be harder to organise because it'll have to be done after school. I'm hoping that we can get 2 hours after college every 2 or more realistically 4 weeks. The maths teachers are keen and were thinking that they can rotate throughout the year. It seems quite doable, I think. Not sure what kind of health and safety etc has to be done but the ball is rolling at least :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending