The Student Room Group
Block it with a suitcase or something when you're in.
Reply 2
Original post by (((they)))
Block it with a suitcase or something when you're in.

Is this normal in other halls? It's a real security issue IMO
Original post by Sugargirl16
Just moved into halls of residence and I can't lock my door from the inside. Anyone can just walk into my room when I am sleeping or in the bathroom. Can lock it from the outside with a keycard but not while I'm in the room. Is this normal? I'm worried about people just walking in. What am I missing?

If you need a keycard to unlock the room then surely it automatically locks when you're inside?
Reply 4
Original post by Plagioclase
If you need a keycard to unlock the room then surely it automatically locks when you're inside?

Thanks for the reply. No one of the other girls on my floor has tested it with me and she just walked into the room. Can't see any way of locking it. This can't be uni policy right?
Thanks for the reply. No one of the other girls on my floor has tested it with me and she just walked into the room. Can't see any way of locking it. This can't be uni policy right?

That's pretty bizarre. I'd ask at reception or management about this because maybe they'll know the answer, I find it really hard to believe that genuinely no way of locking it from the inside - that's not safe. In the absolute worst case scenario that it actually isn't possible to lock it from the inside then I believe there are other ways of doing it (you can buy external lock-things for doors that go underneath the door) but if you ask whoever's responsible for the building about this, I think it's likely that there is actually a way of doing it.

Do as the person abopve suggested and place something physical in the way or go downstairs and talk to the porter and find out whether all rooms are like this or your lock is faulty. If the porter can help you then sort it out with the manager tomorrow.
Reply 7
Thanks everyone. The warden who lives in the halls told us earlier all the rooms are like this. I'm pretty freaked out. Have pushed a chair behind the door and will look into it tomorrow. Will deffo get a lock!
Thanks everyone. The warden who lives in the halls told us earlier all the rooms are like this. I'm pretty freaked out. Have pushed a chair behind the door and will look into it tomorrow. Will deffo get a lock!

That's really wierd :L , well gn

That's really strange, and definitely unacceptable. I'm sure you could complain to the university about that.
Drag your bed there every night and sleep like that. No one will be able to open it
it's a bit weird but tbh I never locked my door when sleeping anyway in halls, always thought it was a bit of a fire risk to be locked in (like if you couldn't immediately find the key and also no one could check if you'd got out)

Latest

Trending

Trending