The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3340
Original post by NathanW18
I don't believe he has been consistently above average. Many people have said at points he's looked good, but it's mostly because everybody around him has been terrible. He hasn't been good. He has just looked better in comparison to everybody playing worse.

His stats have always looked pretty good, but his performances don't match them.

Yeah. I said this ages ago back in 2014. He looks his best when the team offensively are terrible. In 13/14 e.g. and in 09/10, two of his better seasons he had been playing in clearly weakened teams offensively.

Anyway this is probably going to spiral the longer he's playing that midfield setup. A big problem for him the calendar year of 2015 was his midfield setup and it's the same here.
Reply 3341
Original post by Kenan and Kel
I don't even think there is a problem but I don't get why people are already prepared to give Mourinho more time than our two previous managers. Must be cause he's a 'name', right?

That above statement is ****ing ridiculous, especially as it came from DB who was always quick to jump on the backs of our two previous managers when they got it wrong.

Why does Mourinho get a free pass but not Moyes or LvG?

Pretty much this.

Anyway I think wait to see your position in November before talking about the sack.
Original post by bammy jastard 27
Yeah love the nonsense.

Same. He's my favourite player.

Looking forward to next weeks game?

I actually think our style of play is so unsuitable for getting a result against a team like Chelsea.
We make too many passes in the final quarter of the pitch to try and penetrate a small space, opting to play one twos instead of penetrative quick passes into space earlier on in the build up.

Any team with good interceptors basically has our number, especially Chelsea who have not got much pace at the back but can sit and are generally maintain good shape if you are not countering them or hitting them hard with direct balls behind them into space.

For those reason, Xhaka has got to start, surely. He's got to provide the early out ball to the wing and put pressure on Ivanovic and Azpi. Cazorla can play a long ball but there is often too much to and fro passing with him and the others which lets the opposition defence set itself in a good shape - and a team like Chelsea is born to set itself well if you give them time. It's a lot harder to find the small space to penetrate when Chelsea are pressing well and Arsenal are playing sideways passes.

Cahill, Ivanovic , they are susceptible to mistakes if you put them under pressure in quick transitional attacks (not even counter attacks).
(edited 7 years ago)
I don't even think there is a problem but I don't get why people are already prepared to give Mourinho more time than our two previous managers. Must be cause he's a 'name', right?

That above statement is ****ing ridiculous, especially as it came from DB who was always quick to jump on the backs of our two previous managers when they got it wrong.

It's clear Moyes was a joke man. Pure comedy, no intent from the start. He failed when he panic bought Fellaini on deadline day and then told Vidic to model his game on Jagielka. He was Fergie's successor so he was bound to get it harsh anyways.

I actually wasn't quick to jump on LVG's back. I only turned on him last year November/Dec. The Norwich game was the last straw for me but I sticked with him for the first year.

Obviously now we've had 2 managers fail to bring us where we need to be since Fergie and for me personally, currently there's no point in chopping the manager again regardless of who He is. Nothing to do with name, LVG was a fairly big name and I still wanted him out. Sacking 3 managers in a row is just too much IMO, just let them see their contracts out from now.

Quite funny because If I said the opposite you'd say the statement is ridiculous too so make your mind up bruh
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3344
Original post by James.Carnell
Looking forward to next weeks game?

I actually think our style of play is so unsuitable for getting a result against a team like Chelsea.
We make too many passes in the final quarter of the pitch, opting to play one twos instead of penetrative quick passes into space earlier on in the build up.

Any team with good interceptors basically has our number, especially Chelsea who have not got much pace at the back but can sit and are generally maintain good shape if you are not countering them or hitting them hard with direct balls behind them into space.

For those reason, Xhaka has got to start, surely. He's got to provide the early out ball to the wing and put pressure on Ivanovic and Azpi. Cazorla can play a long ball but there is often too much to and fro passing with him and the others which lets the opposition defence set itself in a good shape - and a team like Chelsea is born to set itself well if you give them time.

Cahill, Ivanovic , they are susceptible to mistakes if you put them under pressure in surprise.

I'm confident we should get at least a draw but saying that I'm not sure how good our actual team is offensively. Other than Costa we still have the issues of not being clinical enough, however we are creating a lot of chances against weaker teams. If we could get more from our 3 midfielders(which I think the issue is that they don't really affect the game offensively as well as they do defensively(where generally they are able to protect the defence) then I would be more confident. You have a better offensively minded midfield while we are better defensively in midfield.
I'm confident we should get at least a draw but saying that I'm not sure how good our actual team is offensively. Other than Costa we still have the issues of not being clinical enough, however we are creating a lot of chances against weaker teams. If we could get more from our 3 midfielders(which I think the issue is that they don't really affect the game offensively as well as they do defensively(where generally they are able to protect the defence) then I would be more confident. You have a better offensively minded midfield while we are better defensively in midfield.

Basically Chelsea from what I have been seeing are depending on Hazard for a worldy, or for Costa to shine. Which tbh, has been the case since Jose. Personally I am more worried about Costa given his similarities to Drogba, but I don't know how good the Koscielney/Mustafi partnership is yet so we will see.

I get frustrated by our overloads (although its been getting better) because we have a wing back overloading the opposition wing but often we play too many passes and it defeats the point of the overload.

*Also without Giroud our game becomes a lot more predictable.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Dirtybit
It's clear Moyes was a joke man. Pure comedy, no intent from the start. He failed when he panic bought Fellaini on deadline day and then told Vidic to model his game on Jagielka. He was Fergie's successor so he was bound to get it harsh anyways.

I actually wasn't quick to jump on LVG's back. I only turned on him last year November/Dec. The Norwich game was the last straw for me but I sticked with him for the first year.

Obviously now we've had 2 managers fail to bring us where we need to be since Fergie and for me personally, currently there's no point in chopping the manager again regardless of who He is. Nothing to do with name, LVG was a fairly big name and I still wanted him out. Sacking 3 managers in a row is just too much IMO, just let them see their contracts out from now.

Quite funny because If I said the opposite you'd say the statement is ridiculous too so make your mind up bruh

So basically, now that we have Mourinho, no point of sacking him.

No, if Mourinho doesn't get Champions League qualification, he should get sacked, just as our previous managers were.

Anyway, we've hardly had a terrible start, 9 points from 5 games. We've had worst starts and still won the league.

No, if Mourinho doesn't get Champions League qualification, he should get sacked, just as our previous managers were.

Anyway, we've hardly had a terrible start, 9 points from 5 games. We've had worst starts and still won the league.

Yeah... when the best PL manager ever was in charge...
Yeah... when the best PL manager ever was in charge...

It's a good job we have the second best PL manager ever then!
It's a good job we have the second best PL manager ever then!

Yeah, in a league with a manager that is better than both the aforementioned managers. In all seriousness, Pep should just retire after his City project and give everyone else a chance.

9 points from 5 games certainly isn't bad and it's obviously too early in the season to want the manager sacked.
However this season will be unbelievably competitive; the fact that there are 6 teams on 10+ points is evidence of that.

Everton are the unexpected high flyers so far, and Liverpool have an exceptional tally for the fixtures they've played. Then you have the consistency of Arsenal and the solidity of Spurs to contend with. A few very good teams will miss out on top 4 this season.

I have no doubt United will find their feet - the problem is whether they find them too late...
(edited 7 years ago)
ManU will win the league this season
Original post by ODES_PDES
ManU will win the league this season

And the quadruple, even Pep knows.

https://twitter.com/yourmcfc/status/777627338875994112

(I don't even like City, I just have a big love for Pep, Pep is love)
Reply 3353
Basically Chelsea from what I have been seeing are depending on Hazard for a worldy, or for Costa to shine. Which tbh, has been the case since Jose. Personally I am more worried about Costa given his similarities to Drogba, but I don't know how good the Koscielney/Mustafi partnership is yet so we will see.

I get frustrated by our overloads (although its been getting better) because we have a wing back overloading the opposition wing but often we play too many passes and it defeats the point of the overload.

*Also without Giroud our game becomes a lot more predictable.

Yeah it's true. Costa is a different player to Drogba but he's currently at the level he was at his last season at Atlético but our methods of attacking are still not up to par. I do think that's because Fabregas is not in the team and Oscar doesn't offer enough consistently to be a creator type player, he's quite good for other reasons but I think he should play alongside Fabregas in the 4-3-3 with Kante/Matic as the deep lying player or we play 4-2-4.

I've not watched you guys play properly but I do think you are looking quite good so far this season, you've had a hard start to the season with injuries (just like Liverpool in that sense) but you've done very well to end up with 10 points so far. I think City have had by far the easiest start to the season which probably explains why they're doing so well though. When they play real teams we'll see how good they actually are.
Yeah, in a league with a manager that is better than both the aforementioned managers. In all seriousness, Pep should just retire after his City project and give everyone else a chance.

I do rate Pep, always have. But we all know his career is over once Giggs finally decides to manage a club.
I do rate Pep, always have. But we all know his career is over once Giggs finally decides to manage a club.

Andy, is that you?
Yeah it's true. Costa is a different player to Drogba but he's currently at the level he was at his last season at Atlético but our methods of attacking are still not up to par. I do think that's because Fabregas is not in the team and Oscar doesn't offer enough consistently to be a creator type player, he's quite good for other reasons but I think he should play alongside Fabregas in the 4-3-3 with Kante/Matic as the deep lying player or we play 4-2-4.

I've not watched you guys play properly but I do think you are looking quite good so far this season, you've had a hard start to the season with injuries (just like Liverpool in that sense) but you've done very well to end up with 10 points so far. I think City have had by far the easiest start to the season which probably explains why they're doing so well though. When they play real teams we'll see how good they actually are.

From what I have seen imo they will steamroller it. The GK and defensive issue is a minor issue given their control of games.
I reckon the players may very well topple him if he continues like this.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/manchester-united-boss-jose-mourinho-8864616
triple posts in a rival's thread #obsessed
Original post by Dirtybit
triple posts in a rival's thread #obsessed

James had a breakdown when Arsenal lost to PSG and he's been spamming the FF ever since...

Actually worse than swarley.

Latest