The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Don't tell your parents it's "haram", tell them it is illegal under UK law.

Go to the police. Talk to somebody at your school.

Don't take abuse. If they're hurting you like this, they don't really love you. Religion excuse or no.

Police, please. Bless you - hope everything turns out OK
Don't bother arguing with your parents, they had time to change their minds and they refused.

Call Childline (Google the number) and get the police involved. Child Protection services will look after you.
Original post by Aliyaxo
I'm 15 and my strict muslim parents were planning on getting me married earlier this summer , but the guy who they wanted to marry me off too said he'll only marry me when I'm 16, and my parents know I don't want to get married but apparently I have no choice because my family think I'm a **** and lots of other stuff. I'm not allowed out, don't have a phone that they know about - have a secret one though, I'm literally in a prison but the problem isnnow I think they've found someone and are gonna get me married but aren't telling me this time and im scared

I am so sorry to hear about this but here are a few things you can do:

a few years back we had a workshop on forced marriages and it basically told us about things you can do to get out of it

if your parents are taking you abroad and you suspect that they are trying to get you married off, when you are at the airport hide a metal object such as a spoon on you (like in your underwear) this will result in the alarms going off and you may be questioned and taken for a body frisk, at this point you can tell the people what you suspect may be happening to you if you go on. (One way to get help)

Another way is this :
Telephone: 020 7008 0151
From overseas: +44 (0)20 7008 0151
Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm
Out of hours: 020 7008 1500 (ask for the Global Response Centre)

keep these numbers safe and secure and make sure to call them if you suspect anything.

This can help you regain control of your passport and your parents are not legally allowed to take you out of the country until you are 18. This means that your parents and family would be under surveillance to insure that nothing such as a forced marriage has been taken place...stay safe OP X
Original post by Aliyaxo
x

Time to stand up for yourself, Missy.

I believe in you.
Reply 24
That is obviously not acceptable in Islam and they should know better. I think good advice has already been given but you need to tell your parents what they are doing is against Islam. Keep calm and get help from close relatives too if you can and get them to make your parents understand etc insha'Allah you will be ok. This is so disturbing and I feel so sorry for you :redface:
Please, go to the police.
Reply 26
I'm going to call the forced marriage unit soon tomorrow , really hope this turns out ok😩
Original post by Aliyaxo
I'm going to call the forced marriage unit soon tomorrow , really hope this turns out ok😩

And once you do, please let us know that you're OK x

So sorry to hear about what you're going through :frown:
Original post by retro_turtles
I am so sorry to hear about this but here are a few things you can do:

a few years back we had a workshop on forced marriages and it basically told us about things you can do to get out of it

if your parents are taking you abroad and you suspect that they are trying to get you married off, when you are at the airport hide a metal object such as a spoon on you (like in your underwear) this will result in the alarms going off and you may be questioned and taken for a body frisk, at this point you can tell the people what you suspect may be happening to you if you go on. (One way to get help)

Another way is this :
Telephone: 020 7008 0151
From overseas: +44 (0)20 7008 0151
Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm
Out of hours: 020 7008 1500 (ask for the Global Response Centre)

keep these numbers safe and secure and make sure to call them if you suspect anything.

This can help you regain control of your passport and your parents are not legally allowed to take you out of the country until you are 18. This means that your parents and family would be under surveillance to insure that nothing such as a forced marriage has been taken place...stay safe OP X

Original post by Aliyaxo

This is probably the best advice here
Original post by Aliyaxo
I'm 15 and my strict muslim parents were planning on getting me married earlier this summer , but the guy who they wanted to marry me off too said he'll only marry me when I'm 16, and my parents know I don't want to get married but apparently I have no choice because my family think I'm a **** and lots of other stuff. I'm not allowed out, don't have a phone that they know about - have a secret one though, I'm literally in a prison but the problem isnnow I think they've found someone and are gonna get me married but aren't telling me this time and im scared
phone childline.
Original post by Aliyaxo

It's the best thing. Hope it gets better

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aliyaxo

Screw them man, you're in a free country. Call the police!
Please call the police. Get out! Remember what happened to Shafilea Ahmed. Be safe, good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol @ everyone who is feeding a troll :biggrin:
Reply 34
As Salaam Aaykam, can someone please advise me or give me their opinion on my situation. Someone from my uncles in law side asked for my hand and my mum gave them a yes without asking me and even after she did ask me but I kept saying no because I want to get married to someone else and my whole family knows this I've been with him for nearly 6 years, but they said no to him only because he is not a Sayed and we are and I've been tought that a Sayed boy can marry a non Sayed girl but a girl can't do that. But when I got with him I didn't know this for a few years we always wanted to get married to each other and still do. But my mum really emotionally tortured me everyday to do Nikkah with the one she chose saying she will die and I'm not gonna be allowed to see her face and I'm a bad daughter honestly I can't even say the things it hurts my throat to even type it.. She said to me just carry n with the Nikkah because I have them my words and their my brothers in laws we can't step back and once the Nikkah happens after I'll break it by making up any excuse.. I still didn't wanna go ahead with it. But I was shouted at sworn and every day by Everton my mum my dad my brothers. The Nikkah happened and now she wants me to move in with him.. Allah is my witness I put up with so much in this family being the only daughter as well I went through too much and never had a bad intention towards anyone or anything. I really can't bear it now the time is coming closer and closer.. I wanna run away but I'm so scared coz my brother would kill me and I know he will I've escaped a few times when he was so close to taking my life. I don't want to run away which is why it's taken me 6 years to wait for my family to say yes but I never knew it would go like this.. If I run away is it gonna be bad I mean I'm not left with no option I don't wanna marry that man I really don't like him.
Reply 35
Original post by MissFK
As Salaam Aaykam, can someone please advise me or give me their opinion on my situation. Someone from my uncles in law side asked for my hand and my mum gave them a yes without asking me and even after she did ask me but I kept saying no because I want to get married to someone else and my whole family knows this I've been with him for nearly 6 years, but they said no to him only because he is not a Sayed and we are and I've been tought that a Sayed boy can marry a non Sayed girl but a girl can't do that. But when I got with him I didn't know this for a few years we always wanted to get married to each other and still do. But my mum really emotionally tortured me everyday to do Nikkah with the one she chose saying she will die and I'm not gonna be allowed to see her face and I'm a bad daughter honestly I can't even say the things it hurts my throat to even type it.. She said to me just carry n with the Nikkah because I have them my words and their my brothers in laws we can't step back and once the Nikkah happens after I'll break it by making up any excuse.. I still didn't wanna go ahead with it. But I was shouted at sworn and every day by Everton my mum my dad my brothers. The Nikkah happened and now she wants me to move in with him.. Allah is my witness I put up with so much in this family being the only daughter as well I went through too much and never had a bad intention towards anyone or anything. I really can't bear it now the time is coming closer and closer.. I wanna run away but I'm so scared coz my brother would kill me and I know he will I've escaped a few times when he was so close to taking my life. I don't want to run away which is why it's taken me 6 years to wait for my family to say yes but I never knew it would go like this.. If I run away is it gonna be bad I mean I'm not left with no option I don't wanna marry that man I really don't like him.

Call the police and say all this to them?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MissFK

Call the Forced Marriage Unit. Details are on page 1 of this thread.
Reply 37
But if I call the police they gonna come to my house and it's gonna creat such a big problem, my brother has tried to kill me before and he would do it he said he don't care about going to prison for 20 years or whatever. And I'm the only girl in the house I don't have a phone I'm not allowed out ever I can't remember the last time I went out and when I left school I wasn't allowed to keep in contact with any of my friends and I wasn't allowed to go college I've been home for 5 years day and night.. I'm really really scared about calling the police.. It's gonna turn out really bad.. But I wanna leave my house ASAP but I have no one to help me leave because say if I'm leaving and someone wakes up there's no way I will live until the next day.. If I wanna leave I have to leave in the next few days.. I have no one out there I'm so depressed.. I tried taking my life 2 times I know it's such a stupid thing to do but trust me when all the doors have closed and you have no hope left I just didn't see another option.
Original post by MissFK
But if I call the police they gonna come to my house and it's gonna creat such a big problem, my brother has tried to kill me before and he would do it he said he don't care about going to prison for 20 years or whatever. And I'm the only girl in the house I don't have a phone I'm not allowed out ever I can't remember the last time I went out and when I left school I wasn't allowed to keep in contact with any of my friends and I wasn't allowed to go college I've been home for 5 years day and night.. I'm really really scared about calling the police.. It's gonna turn out really bad.. But I wanna leave my house ASAP but I have no one to help me leave because say if I'm leaving and someone wakes up there's no way I will live until the next day.. If I wanna leave I have to leave in the next few days.. I have no one out there I'm so depressed.. I tried taking my life 2 times I know it's such a stupid thing to do but trust me when all the doors have closed and you have no hope left I just didn't see another option.

Look girl, it is either you contact someone who is in authority and can sort this out for you. Or, you would be forced into moving in with him. You only have two options here. No one here can help you but you have to help yourself.
Reply 39
I'm gonna call the forced marriages unit of police because I have to leave my house today I'm being questioned by my family every day even today I was sitting in my room so scared because I thought someone's gonna call me and say all them things to me. I'm gonna call them now and see what they say..

Latest

Trending

Trending