The Student Room Group

Skinny girl models naked: "objectification". Fat girl does it: "empowering"

Why is it that when a skinny girl models naked it's considered "objectifying", but when a fat girl models nude it's "empowering"?

Scroll to see replies

I'm not a fan of the double standard usually applied to body sizes, but here's my 2p:

The way I see it, supposed "plus size" models aren't too common in the model industry, so it's empowering to them to show that it's ok to not be a skinny twig, but that empowerment is lost for skinny models because they're just all so common.
Reply 2
Original post by VinnicombeDmv
I'm not a fan of the double standard usually applied to body sizes, but here's my 2p:

The way I see it, supposed "plus size" models aren't too common in the model industry, so it's empowering to them to show that it's ok to not be a skinny twig, but that empowerment is lost for skinny models because they're just all so common.

Ah ok.

I thought it was because men enjoy looking at skinny girls but not fat girls.
Humans are motivated by sex and seek empowerment to ensure they are genetically successful. Sex-negative feminism and the fat acceptance movement is an effort for ugly pigdogs to take back some of the power pretty women have by fact of their looks.

The male analogue of this behaviour is complaining that women want nice things or that women want tall men or whatever, people have moved into a mentality of trying to change how the world perceives them, it slightly reminds me of the Soviet Union convincing everyone they are living in paradise.
(edited 7 years ago)
Jealousy, I expect. Many feminists outraged by this trash tend to be overweight.

Having said that, modelling agencies should use neither. Use a female/male with an average figure that is considered healthy.
I think it depends on the context of the shoot. If you're using boobs and buttocks to sell a product it can come across as exploitative and just adds to the sexualisation of the female body. If a skinny woman does a pro body image shoot I'd call that empowering, too.
Reply 6
I guess most of the models we see in the media are skinny, and that makes thicker female feel bad about their body. Thus, "nude fat girl models" are considered to be empowering to those thicker women. I guess using average sized females would promote a healthy lifestyle, and it would not force girls to be skinny and it would not make super skinny people feel bad lol.
Original post by 1010marina
I think it depends on the context of the shoot. If you're using boobs and buttocks to sell a product it can come across as exploitative and just adds to the sexualisation of the female body. If a skinny woman does a pro body image shoot I'd call that empowering, too.

There is no such thing as exploitation of the female body since women are not a single cohesive group, it's for the individual to decide whether she wants her body used to sell products, there is no collective responsibility to women on the whole.
I'm naturally skinny myself but the industry is ridiculous.
[video="youtube;4hEMv9QUIzE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hEMv9QUIzE[/video]
Reply 9
Original post by TheIr0nDuke
Jealousy, I expect. Many feminists outraged by this trash tend to be overweight.

Having said that, modelling agencies should use neither. Use a female/male with an average figure that is considered healthy.

Well, being skinny is being healthy. Skinny doesn't mean anorexic.
Reply 10
Objectification basically means "finding someone (well, typically a woman) sexually attractive". Most people don't find the overweight sexually attractive.
edit: Well, I suppose in the context of whoever is making money from the images, the "objectification" is their usage of the fact that someone will find the woman in question sexually attractive for monetary gain.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Horny Hafiz
Humans are motivated by sex and seek empowerment to ensure they are genetically successful. Sex-negative feminism and the fat acceptance movement is an effort for ugly pigdogs to take back some of the power pretty women have by fact of their looks.

The male analogue of this behaviour is complaining that women want nice things or that women want tall men or whatever, people have moved into a mentality of trying to change how the world perceives them, it slightly reminds me of the Soviet Union convincing everyone they are living in paradise.

I completely agree. Sex-neg feminism is just puritanism with the religious reasons replaced with some absurd mental gymnastics.
Original post by KingBradly

Ahh I assumed you meant the obviously underweight women some agencies go for.

Of course, healthy skinny is perfectly fine.
Original post by saraxh
[video="youtube;4hEMv9QUIzE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hEMv9QUIzE[/video]

1. She looks ridiculously thin, absolutely disgusting

2. The modelling industry is not obliged to give her work and she is not obliged to go on stupid unhealthy diets

3. Bone structure matters, I don't think her ass and hips are too wide (they're too small for sure, in fact the obsession with very thin women is blatantly part of modern society's emasculation of men and defeminisation of women) but if that's how her body has grown and the modelling industry doesn't want her, she just needs to accept that, she's not owed this amazing life of celebrity and she can gtfo

4. Typical Sweden
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Horny Hafiz
1. She looks ridiculously thin, absolutely disgusting

2. The modelling industry is not obliged to give her work and she is not obliged to go on stupid unhealthy diets

3. Bone structure matters, I don't think her ass and hips are too wide (they're too narrow for sure) but if that's how her body has grown and the modelling industry doesn't want her, she just needs to accept that, she's not owed this amazing life of celebrity and she can gtfo

4. Typical Sweden

She said big companies wanted her but when they found out her measurements they said she's too big and needs to lose weight.
[video="youtube;qIX5K7UQy-o"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIX5K7UQy-o[/video]
Reply 15
Original post by saraxh

TBH, the modelling agency is generally worse the more that its images are aimed at a female market. Magazines like Vogue have traditionally been the worst culprits when it comes to employing anorexic girls. Glamour modelling, the type which feminists most consider "objectifying", is much more accepting of healthy body types.
Basically, unsurprisingly, men want women who look as though they will be able to rear healthy kids. The only times when overweight women have been considered attractive is when food was scarce and being overweight meant that you had wealth (thus allowing you to rear children better). Even then, overweight hardly meant fat. I don't think anorexic girls have ever been attractive to men.
Original post by KingBradly

Most models (excluding some of the Victoria Secret models) are underweight and size 0 (UK size 4). There are plenty of stories of modelling agencies pressuring women to lose even more weight, and even VS has been guilty of this. It's just dangerous that the modelling industry pushes this look, when honestly, most girls would never look like that and be healthy. Even some of the models aren't naturally that thin. HOWEVER, I do think plus size models are not healthy either; the overweight models are used to by industry to say "hey look, we're not after size 0 women at all". I don't think either are empowering, and I think the industry needs to do a better of hiring healthy, thin woman, so a UK size 6/8 (US size 2/4).
Reply 17
Original post by drowzee
Most models (excluding some of the Victoria Secret models) are underweight and size 0 (UK size 4). There are plenty of stories of modelling agencies pressuring women to lose even more weight, and even VS has been guilty of this. It's just dangerous that the modelling industry pushes this look, when honestly, most girls would never look like that and be healthy. Even some of the models aren't naturally that thin. HOWEVER, I do think plus size models are not healthy either; the overweight models are used to by industry to say "hey look, we're not after size 0 women at all". I don't think either are empowering, and I think the industry needs to do a better of hiring healthy, thin woman, so a UK size 6/8 (US size 2/4).

I agree. Glamour modelling (ironically the type which feminists seem to have the biggest problem with) is easily the best when it comes to accepting women with healthy body sizes.
Original post by saraxh
She said big companies wanted her but when they found out her measurements they said she's too big and needs to lose weight.
[video="youtube;qIX5K7UQy-o"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIX5K7UQy-o[/video]

So they thought she was a good candidate, but upon closer inspection, they realised they don't want her. Ok, cool.

Her losing weight isn't a guarantee she will get work, it may actually be due to her natural bone structure, she said she's 19 and been modelling for 5 years so she started when she's 14, her hips widened with puberty. She's blatantly delusional and if she goes on the diet and kills herself, I have no sympathy, it's her own idiocy. Also bear in mind that the female modelling industry, has far more niches than exists for men, so if she were really that good, she would get work without trying to force herself into something she's blatantly not built for, I mean FFS there are chubby female models

Also as I said to someone last night, her body shape is a prime example of female solipsism, it's only women who think that's beautiful. As a man, that's disgusting. It reminds me of gulags and forced famines, I'm triggered rn.
(edited 7 years ago)
I am so pissed off rn, if a fat man were to release a video saying how much he wants to play for Manchester United but that Jose Mourinho said he needs to lose weight and get in shape and he's being oppressed, nobody would take that seriously, but as soon as a White woman does it, people expect a ****ing pity party. Christ almighty.

Quick Reply

Latest